GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone LOVES a V-10/12, Until GM builds one

I never realized what a bunch of idiots post at TCC, util I see the import biased, lips shoved so far up MB's and BMW's arses that it comes to this! When A GM insider over there announced that there was a project about creating a 7.0L V-10, people went nuts! They said how horrible it would be for Cadillac to have a V-10 or a V-12 meanwhile BMW and even more so, Mercedes-Benz has em packed in all of their flagship vehicles... <_<

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
It's sour grapes. The hard-core BMW and Mercedes crowd can't stand the fact that Cadillac is encroaching on their beloved exclusive brands.

Not only are the tired Geritol jokes about Cadillac owners coming back to bite them in the butt, but it's hard to look cool anymore in your has-been 3-series and your toupe' while an Escalade EXT cruises menacingly in the next lane.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
A thoroughly typically Coolcaddy-brilliant response, from a renowned GMI luxury-vehicle afficionado...

It's sour grapes. The hard-core BMW and Mercedes crowd can't stand the fact that Cadillac is encroaching on their beloved exclusive brands.
I'll go a step further. The American BMW, and DCX crowd can't stand that an American marque is encroaching on the vehicles for whose badges they paid a lot more.

Then again, one Motor Trend reader did write to the MT letters editor that Acura dealerships had the best coffee.

Not only are the tired Geritol jokes about Cadillac owners coming back to bite them in the butt, but it's hard to look cool anymore in your has-been 3-series and your toupe' while an Escalade EXT cruises menacingly in the next lane.
A long ways back, Automobile Magazine compared the styling of old M-B cars to just-as-old jukeboxes. They're starting to look that way again

In the meantime, the SRX and MAXX are looking more and more like mint-condition Donkey-Kong machines. :D

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kind of funny as there are 2 V-10's and a V-12 in the GM lineup a couple years out. (not too many years either, and yes they are already running in mule/test vehicles)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Nov 1 2003, 08:46 PM
I've seen this attitude on other forums. The Euro-centric crowd is reacting very negatively to encroaching competition from Cadillac. The cries of "Allante!" and "Cimmaron!" sound ever more hollow.

It just blows away their world view, and they don't like it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by JDogg@Nov 2 2003, 10:36 PM
Kind of funny as there are 2 V-10's and a V-12 in the GM lineup a couple years out. (not too many years either, and yes they are already running in mule/test vehicles)
where are the v 10 going in

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by hockey81289+Nov 2 2003, 06:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hockey81289 @ Nov 2 2003, 06:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JDogg@Nov 2 2003, 10:36 PM
Kind of funny as there are 2 V-10's and a V-12 in the GM lineup a couple years out.  (not too many years either, and yes they are already running in mule/test vehicles)
where are the v 10 going in [/b][/quote]
GMT800 Applications: Chevrolet, Silverado, Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Yukon Denali XL, GMC Sierra Denali, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Cadillac Escalade ESV.

Probably GMT800 Applications: GMC Sierra Denali/GMC Youkon Denali/GMC Yukon XL Denali/Cadillac Escalades

No Chevrolet's will probably have the V-10, the highest gasoline rated engine will probably be a revised 6.0L HO Vortec currently in the Silvy SS, Caddy Escalades, and Denalis.

GMC will probably use the 6000 HO as their midline engine (read SLT), revised 5.3L V-8 in their base GMT800s and the V-10 in the Denalis

Cadillac will probably use it as the base engine in their escalades, or they might use the revised 6000 engine who knows. The V-10 is still being tested.

Cadillac may also use the V-10 in their XLR-V, but the more probable application would be the Turbo-Northstar (I think we should have a twin turbo V-10 in the Caddy, but thats another story).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Nov 3 2003, 12:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Nov 3 2003, 12:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2003, 06:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JDogg
@Nov 2 2003, 10:36 PM
Kind of funny as there are 2 V-10's and a V-12 in the GM lineup a couple years out.  (not too many years either, and yes they are already running in mule/test vehicles)

where are the v 10 going in
GMT800 Applications: Chevrolet, Silverado, Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Yukon Denali XL, GMC Sierra Denali, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac Escalade EXT, Cadillac Escalade ESV.

Probably GMT800 Applications: GMC Sierra Denali/GMC Youkon Denali/GMC Yukon XL Denali/Cadillac Escalades

No Chevrolet's will probably have the V-10, the highest gasoline rated engine will probably be a revised 6.0L HO Vortec currently in the Silvy SS, Caddy Escalades, and Denalis.

GMC will probably use the 6000 HO as their midline engine (read SLT), revised 5.3L V-8 in their base GMT800s and the V-10 in the Denalis

Cadillac will probably use it as the base engine in their escalades, or they might use the revised 6000 engine who knows. The V-10 is still being tested.

Cadillac may also use the V-10 in their XLR-V, but the more probable application would be the Turbo-Northstar (I think we should have a twin turbo V-10 in the Caddy, but thats another story). [/b][/quote]
thanks

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
WOW i thought the V10 engine was dead? I heard about a whole thing based of the gen III, and i guess there gunna try it on the new gen IV? I think the dohc, directinjection, dod xv-12 northstar is a better engine for a flagship caddy that can beat up on any 760iL or S600.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 3 2003, 06:14 AM
WOW i thought the V10 engine was dead? I heard about a whole thing based of the gen III, and i guess there gunna try it on the new gen IV? I think the dohc, directinjection, dod xv-12 northstar is a better engine for a flagship caddy that can beat up on any 760iL or S600.
You got it, its going to be Northstar based with DOHC as you said! Its going to be very powerful, if it gets approoved, which it has a good chance of, a lot of other companies have V-10's why not GM?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I'm supposed to be upset cause the Germans might finally take one in the head from Caddy? I don't think so. Roll Caddy Roll.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Nov 3 2003, 12:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Nov 3 2003, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Nov 3 2003, 06:14 AM
WOW i thought the V10 engine was dead?  I heard about a whole thing based of the gen III, and i guess there gunna try it on the new gen IV?  I think the dohc, directinjection, dod xv-12 northstar is a better engine for a flagship caddy that can beat up on any 760iL or S600.
You got it, its going to be Northstar based with DOHC as you said! Its going to be very powerful, if it gets approoved, which it has a good chance of, a lot of other companies have V-10's why not GM? [/b][/quote]
it was approved and as i read, will go in an escalade-v...500hp motor.
Now neither MB or BMW have a 500hp motor, but MB gets close with 493 i belive. I think that the 760iL is a way better looking car then the HUGE land yaht like S600. A Deville DTS should have the V-12 with a streched wheel base, RWD, 6spd auto, GPS... and look like a cross between a CTS, and the Sixteen. Caddy is stepping it up. But IMO, a 750hp Cien would of been WAY FRIGGIN COOLER.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Nice now I wonder if that'll fit in2 the engine compartment of my S/W..... B)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Nov 3 2003, 07:10 AM
...a lot of other companies have V-10's why not GM?
Besides Ford and Chrysler (and the upcoming BMW), who else has a gasoline V10 (discounting the diesel VW)? I don't consider three brand/manufacturers to be "a lot." More companies sell V12s (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Aston Martin, Toyota, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi, etc) than V10s.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Nov 4 2003, 03:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Nov 4 2003, 03:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TaHoE@Nov 3 2003, 07:10 AM
...a lot of other companies have V-10's why not GM?
Besides Ford and Chrysler (and the upcoming BMW), who else has a gasoline V10 (discounting the diesel VW)? I don't consider three brand/manufacturers to be "a lot." More companies sell V12s (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Aston Martin, Toyota, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi, etc) than V10s. [/b][/quote]
The Gallardo has a V10 :lol:

·
Registered
43,909 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Nov 4 2003, 03:40 AM

Now neither MB or BMW have a 500hp motor, but MB gets close with 493 i belive. I think that the 760iL is a way better looking car then the HUGE land yaht like S600. A Deville DTS should have the V-12 with a streched wheel base, RWD, 6spd auto, GPS... and look like a cross between a CTS, and the Sixteen. Caddy is stepping it up. But IMO, a 750hp Cien would of been WAY FRIGGIN COOLER.
Don't worry. BMW will have a 500HP engine next year. And a year or 2 after that, CTS-V will counter with 500+HP as well.

As for the E55 AMG (or is it E60).... leave that one to STS-V.

Gotta face it people... the luxury-performance war is about HP.
Glad to see Caddy is answering the challenge. (They just need to spruce up the interiors.) :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts