GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be the shortest Reader Review of all time:

• A-pillar was obstructive.
  • The fact that the range extender RPM didn't sync up with the gas pedal is a non-issue, as it's quiet enough to not be disconcerting.
  • This is the second pre-production Volt I've been in wherein the driver's door doesn't close properly on the first shut.
  • The leather interior was pretty decent.
  • Driving in Low in Sport mode is really the only way to experience this car.
  • The graphics on the IP are neat, but I can see them becoming a distraction.

I may drive it again tonight, so I'll will revisit.

·
Registered
45,047 Posts
Didn't GM say that the way the doors shut are different and the driver will adjust to it over time? Could this improper door shutting be this different way showing itself?
:confused::confused:
What the heck does that mean??

The "doors shut differently?" How is that possible?
They either open outwards or the open upwards. Or the have to be slammed or a motor pulls it in.

·
Registered
21,448 Posts
Awesome - can't wait to drive one myself.

In regards to the graphics becoming a distraction - do you think that you may do the opposite with time? As you get used to them you start ignoring them....

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I suspect the doors might be a structural member when closed? Have a different latch deal than normal. Wonder why the ICE is not designed to actually charge the batteries while cruising at steady speed after the battery pack is depleted. Have to be quite a bit of excess generating capacity I'd think.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
:confused::confused:
What the heck does that mean??

The "doors shut differently?" How is that possible?
They either open outwards or the open upwards. Or the have to be slammed or a motor pulls it in.
The doors have a different kind of seal or something like that when they are closed which helps the vehicle be slippery and reduce drag. GM stated that users would have to adjust to how it sounds/feels(?) when they close the door.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
A pillar size is for safety regulations..Thank your government ...

As far as the door seals? I bet its to keep road noise out as well. I would imagine without a motor running...the typical road noise is quite a bit more noticiable (SP) so GM engineered the vehicle to be especially quiet.

I think this new volt technology would make for the best luxury vehicles..

I guess the cadillac version would be quite cool....and if the battery technology improves in the second generation I am sure we will see a volt type Cadillac.

I for one can't wait. I think this new technology will lead to quite an advance in vehicle NVH as well as luxury and fuel economy.

Running in the silent mode will be impressive...

I'm sure the general can with future iterations figure out away to get the doors to close easier..

For a funny story....with the c5 corvette...the window seals were so tight...so that at 170 mph the windows wouldn't pop out....when you went to close the trunk...it was a bit of a pain unless the door was open or window was open a crack...

I would imagine the volt door has an even more impressive seal to keep out tire noise..

I can't wait to test drive a new volt.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
Do vehicles from every manufacturer now have these fat pillars?

I guess they all must, seeing as its a regulation...
Good to see you come to your senses..

Peace out!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I don't mind the A pillars being too wide, but when the c and d pillars restrict rearward vision, then I care.
The use of high strength steel could alleviate the problem, but it costs more. It's time for the car companies to step up to the plate and make the outward vision better, or tell the government to stuff it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.