GM Inside News Forum banner

Just about to buy a new envoy but rethinking it

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  genjy 
#1 · (Edited)
I was set to buy a 08 envoy 2 days before the GMS sale. I currently own a 05 camry and with that as a trade I would have little to pay, $9,500 to be exact. Iam really starting to think that its not worth my time or money to buy a gm car. I was a long time GM owner before the camry but it seems the dealers are not willing to help at all which is why I left GM in the first place. I walked around the showroom for a good 20min before a salesman said anything, even then it seemed like he didnt want to deal with anything. And it looks like some of the prices for a tahoe are now higher with the Gms price, I wasnt looked to much at tahoes but Iam sure if the price was right I would buy one. Then I see this today http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j3-xTE1dqFP9KmD_IWf6_Ix_XLVgD92SM0T01

Why would I want to even deal with a company like this? maybe Iam just being a little harsh?
secondly I see some posts on this site saying gm doesnt lease anymore. Is that true for all of the U.S. becasue I have not heard anything about that?

I stopped by a ford dealer and the toyota dealer, both of them are very willing to work with me and ford brought the price of a explorer lower then a envoy.

Does anyone see why Iam thinking its not worth it to buy another GM car/truck. I want to hear from salesman because it just seems if gm is starting to sue people I would be extremly angry with the company Iam working for. and if that gets out to the public it just seems like one more reason people will say I dont want to buy a gm. But with that being said I feel kinda sorry for the dealers who have nothing to do with this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your experience carshopping. It's a damned shame that at a GM store, the salesperson there wasn't more responsive. He/She shouldn't have to be reactive, they should have been PRO ACTIVE!! Nothing makes me madder than to hear about someone in MY business pissing off another customer. If you don't want to sell cars, GO THE EFF HOME!!
That being said sir, I apologize on behalf of whatever GM store you visited. Let me know how you want the Envoy equipped and I'll send you what the GM Employee price should be. Also, let me know only your zip code so I can let you know what other incentives the Envoy has with it.

#3 ·
If you really want an Envoy, I'm sure you could find another GMC dealer who'd be more than willing to help you out.

2 years ago when I bought my '06 GTO, I experienced the same thing...I emailed and/or called 6 dealers inquiring about particular GTO's, and only one of them would even take the time to respond to me...you can probably guess which dealer I bought mine from.

#5 ·
Uhhh...not really. First off, the discounts shouldn't have been given out in the first place, which is kinda the dealers' fault as well as the employees'. Quite honestly, If I were GM, I'd be pissed off as well.
Secondly, I highly doubt that's the only GMC dealer in your vicinity. Go to another one and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you, especially since they're trying to move inventory. Don't stop just because one dealer was an ***hole. I'm very happy with my Envoy and I'm sure you would be as well.

By the way, I've had the exact same experience at a toyota dealer. Walked around the dealer lot for half an hour, walked right in front of salesmen who were standing around, nobody asked if I needed help, even when my parents were with me. When I was at my Chevy dealer, looking at Malibus, a salesman came up and asked if I needed help. I found it kinda funny, a 16 year old needing help buying a brand new Malibu, but at least he asked.

#6 ·
By the way, I've had the exact same experience at a toyota dealer. Walked around the dealer lot for half an hour, walked right in front of salesmen who were standing around, nobody asked if I needed help, even when my parents were with me. When I was at my Chevy dealer, looking at Malibus, a salesman came up and asked if I needed help. I found it kinda funny, a 16 year old needing help buying a brand new Malibu, but at least he asked.
Hell, our Chevrolet dealer let me (a 16 year-old) and my friend (a 17 year-old) mess around with a Malibu LS in the parking lot. The dealership experience really changes drastically from dealer to dealer.

#11 · (Edited)
My parents are car shopping too. I have noticed that all the GM dealers (except Saturn) were rude, kind of lazy, and the dealerships and cars were all dirty.
We were dissapointed with the Chevy Malibu and the Chevrolet dealership...I especially, wonder how GM plans to overtake Toyota or Honda in sales if this is how they conduct business.

Here's what happened:
We looked at a Lexus ES 350, Saturn Aura XR, Chevy Malibu LTZ, and a Buick Lucerne Super.

The Cadillac dealer was already boarded up for the hurricane, so they couldn't see the CTS and SRX.

The Chevy dealer was discusting, stocked nothing that appealed to my parents (surprise), and had a sleaze ball salesman. If I had an employee in sales that showed up to work looking like a bum and smelling like cigarettes, I'd fire him on the spot. From the looks of the other employees at All Star Chevrolet in Baton Rouge, this guy fits right in.
My parents have ruled the Malibu out, too because they only LTZ that they saw had the red on black interior and they now associate Malibus with tacky colors (I thought it looked nice). Of course, the salesman didnt' know that you can get them in other colors and the dealership didn't stock anything else, so there won't be a sale.

I was actually very, very impressed with the whole Saturn dealer and sales people. They know about the products and they were not pushy. The saleswoman spoke to my mother and made her comfortable with her surroundings. They deserve the sale just on those grounds.

The Buick and the Lexus are the contenders right now, but my Mom wants to test drive the Aura again. The dealership was very nice. I thought the car was surprisingly narrow and had a few flaws in the interior. The console and some of the surfaces were cheap...the critics were not kidding. It's still a great car, but remember, my parents are cross shoping with Lexus and Buick and understand that it cost about $8,000 less than those products.

The Lexus was slightly larger than the Aura but not worth the price difference. My Mom loves it, and it is a surpisingly good car...perhaps worth about $30K or so...not the $38K on the sticker. The salesman and dealership were both clean and nice.

The Buick was amazingly comfortable and roomy, but it handled kind of lose compared to the Aura. I guess my parents are not as old as I thought, because it bothered them too. I would love to be a passenger in this car. The salesman was a bit pushy, but not as big of a dissapointment as the Chevy dealer. The Lucerne CXS V8 is a contender if it can be found for the right price and color combo.

I wonder if they will extend the employee discounts?

I'm going to make them test drive a Lincoln MKZ, Acura TSX (or a Honda accord), and a CTS before they decide.

#16 ·
They might also want to consider the Hyundai Azera and Sonata. Malibu/Aura pricing with more interior space and nicer interiors. There's no employee pricing, and no guarantee of friendly sales staff, but they're typically well discounted from already low sticker prices, and strong products.

They might also want to drive the Avalon if they're shopping Lucernes. I prefer the Lucerne myself, but each has its own set of advantages.

#25 ·
Why would I want to even deal with a company like this? maybe Iam just being a little harsh?
You are confusing the dealer with the company. Dealers are independent businesses. They are not part of the manufacturer. Find another dealer.

#27 ·
Thanks for the help so far. I have been looking online to see what options I want but still have to go to another dealer. The explorer is still on my list but I always liked the envoys since they first came out, and it seems this might be my last chance to get one. I have bought my last 2-3 cars based on how the dealer treats me. The camry Iam getting rid of wasnt number 1 on my list of cars in 05, but it was the best dealer experience that made me get it over the nissan altima which I liked better. Thats why I was so surprised at how a car company with trouble selling SUV's was not much help at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.