GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, So I have been thinking about Ford, and what might help some what. Then I was thinking Bringing back some excitement to the brand.

But Ford has never been about "Brash Excitement" i.e. Thunder Bird S.C., Taurus SHO. That brought me to all the talk about the up coming "5.0L V8" being reborn.

Well I rember a couple years ago, reading about "Yahama's" Up coming 350HP 4 stroke V8 Outboard. They were thinking about the SHO's 3.4L V8 and pumping it up to 5.0L to use in thier outboard.

So why not visit Yamaha again for thier 5.3L 350 (prop shaft HP) V8 for the new 210 Taurus SHO? With unrestricted exhaust, HP rating at the crank, compact, And It should be close to 400HP. Give it a monchromatic appearance, AWD, 6 speed auto, Lowered suspension. That thing hot.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Ok, So I have been thinking about Ford, and what might help some what. Then I was thinking Bringing back some excitement to the brand.

But Ford has never been about "Brash Excitement" i.e. Thunder Bird S.C., Taurus SHO. That brought me to all the talk about the up coming "5.0L V8" being reborn.

Well I rember a couple years ago, reading about "Yahama's" Up coming 350HP 4 stroke V8 Outboard. They were thinking about the SHO's 3.4L V8 and pumping it up to 5.0L to use in thier outboard.

So why not visit Yamaha again for thier 5.3L 350 (prop shaft HP) V8 for the new 210 Taurus SHO? With unrestricted exhaust, HP rating at the crank, It should be close to 400HP. Give it a monchromatic appearance, AWD, 6 speed auto, Lowered suspension. That thing hot.

Any thoughts?
The Yamaha that Volvo uses is a worthless piece of crap! It gets terrible gas mileage and Volvo needs to dump it and replace it with the 5.0 now.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought Ford quit using unique Yamaha engines because they were way too expensive. I think Ford has several upcoming engines in their own portfolio that will do the SHO justice.
True, but none ready for the launch of the 2010 Taurus. I just thought this one was already in use, and a little heritage link to the SHO name.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
True, but none ready for the launch of the 2010 Taurus...
I've seen numerous posts saying the 3.5EcoBeast will be ready for the 2010 Taurus (& MKS) this spring.
(or did I misunderstand this thread?)

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen numerous posts saying the 3.5EcoBeast will be ready for the 2010 Taurus (& MKS) this spring.
(or did I misunderstand this thread?)
No you did not misunderstand it, I just thought to announce it in with some excitemnet.

I was just reading "Boating" in the bathroom was all. Just rambling.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The Yamaha that Volvo uses is a worthless piece of crap! It gets terrible gas mileage and Volvo needs to dump it and replace it with the 5.0 now.
Well, I don't know if it is a worthless, piece of ...

Every one must have already forgotten that when the prototype for the MKS was shown at the Detroit Auto Show a few years back, it had the engine (and Aisin transmission) slotted in. The following year, the V8 was replaced by the 3.5L V6 TwinForce.

Of course in the end, you got neither.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well I rember a couple years ago, reading about "Yahama's" Up coming 350HP 4 stroke V8 Outboard.
That reminds me of the time several years ago I was wandering through the Vee Engine Engineering Department and came across the bare block from a Yamaha 250HP 4 stroke V6 (I would not have known what it was except for the label !) The Ford engineers were studying it as they were just starting the design of the D35. That block uses "center" exhaust, as do some of the forthcoming, lightweight, diesel V8s.

BTW, most of the boating world is underwhelmed with the Yamaha 350HP V8 outboard. Too heavy. Of course their is a rumor that the same block will make 400hp :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
True, but none ready for the launch of the 2010 Taurus. I just thought this one was already in use, and a little heritage link to the SHO name.
Well, if you know anything about the Taurus SHO V8 debacle, a lot of folks are thrilled Ford stopped dealing with Yamaha and I'm betting that engine will not be in any Volvo products after about 2010 or 2011MY.

The SHO owners would like to see that moniker used again, but I with all of the failed V8s, I think marketing is going to leave that name buried.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts

So why not visit Yamaha again for thier 5.3L 350 (prop shaft HP) V8 for the new 210 Taurus SHO? With unrestricted exhaust, HP rating at the crank, compact, And It should be close to 400HP. Give it a monchromatic appearance, AWD, 6 speed auto, Lowered suspension. That thing hot.

Any thoughts?
Transmission.

The 3.5L EcoBoost will turn out 425 reliable horsepower, and will in the Mustang and F-150, but Ford doesn't have a FWD transmission capable of handling the power... right now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Transmission.

The 3.5L EcoBoost will turn out 425 reliable horsepower, and will in the Mustang and F-150, but Ford doesn't have a FWD transmission capable of handling the power... right now.
I'm guessing that Ford plans on using the 6F50 withe the MKS/Taurus next year. I'm also guessing that AWD will be a "required" option.

Volvo uses an Aisin transmission with their Yamaha V8.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
Well, if you know anything about the Taurus SHO V8 debacle, a lot of folks are thrilled Ford stopped dealing with Yamaha and I'm betting that engine will not be in any Volvo products after about 2010 or 2011MY.
That is my understanding as well, Ford apparently can't get out of the Yamaha-Volvo V8 deal fast enough. Somewhat disappointing performance and an ever escalating price tag on that 4.4L V8 simply finished what the old 3.4L SHO V8 started. I seriously doubt we'll ever see Ford cozy up to Yamaha again.

Wescoent said:
I'm curious to see how this turns out, as you and I have come across similar....but conflicting....info. We both agree that there will be 415hp+ GTDi Ford V6 engines, but we seem to have conflicting info regarding whether or not these are the economy minded 'Ecoboost' versions most folks talk about when discussing Ford's GTDi program.

My understanding is that the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 engines will not produce that kind of power in any application with the 400+hp version being a more performance minded, somewhat less fuel efficient take on the GTDi concept which will use another name altogether.

Should a GTDi V6 Mustang happen what I have been led to expect is a high performance, non Ecoboost SE model which slots between the GT and the GT500 and which will start somewhere above 30k. Again, I'm curious to see how this all works out.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
No you did not misunderstand it, I just thought to announce it in with some excitemnet.

I was just reading "Boating" in the bathroom was all. Just rambling.
Reading Boating while dropping the kids off at the pool, eh?

Shouldn't the Fusion get the SHO treatment? The Taurus is for old people now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That is my understanding as well, Ford apparently can't get out of the Yamaha-Volvo V8 deal fast enough. Somewhat disappointing performance and an ever escalating price tag on that 4.4L V8 simply finished what the old 3.4L SHO V8 started. I seriously doubt we'll ever see Ford cozy up to Yamaha again.
The 4.4L was strictly a Volvo deal, and probably the last one they will ever get to do ! And yes, cost is what killed it in the Lincoln !

Ford has "cleaned house" at Volvo and they have been told, "Get over yourself ! You are part of Ford now and need to start making some money or you will be 'fire saled' like Jag and AM !"

I expect the Volvo "short" I6 and their I5 won't have a long life. I know Volvo doesn't like V6's because they take up a lot of "crush space" in front of the passenger compartment, but Ford knows how to build FWD cars that get 4 star front crash ratings, so maybe Volvo can learn something from them for a change !

·
Registered
455 Posts
...We both agree that there will be 415hp+ GTDi Ford V6 engines, but we seem to have conflicting info regarding whether or not these are the economy minded 'Ecoboost' versions most folks talk about when discussing Ford's GTDi program...
EcoBoost is the marketing name (after the short live TwinForce).

GTDI (or GTTDI, "gas twin turbo direct injection") are engineering names.

Same engines. At least two I4s and one V6.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
The 4.4L was strictly a Volvo deal, and probably the last one they will ever get to do !
I know. Yamaha really jacked up the price per unit on those things, seems they figured out Volvo had placed themselves in no position to just quit Yamaha cold turkey which gave Yamaha the ability to turn the screws. That gave a really nice 'up yours' sort of finish to what they started with the SHO.

theoldwizard said:
And yes, cost is what killed it in the Lincoln!
Heard that too. Although I also heard that Ford felt the overall performance of the engine was a bit 'underwhelming'. Having sampled one I would tend to agree, I have been considering a S80 for the wife of late and I cannot figure out why anybody would choose the 4.4L V8 over the TC/Int I6.

theoldwizard said:
Ford has "cleaned house" at Volvo and they have been told, "Get over yourself ! You are part of Ford now and need to start making some money or you will be 'fire saled' like Jag and AM !"
I think you'll agree that was long overdue.

theoldwizard said:
I expect the Volvo "short" I6 and their I5 won't have a long life. I know Volvo doesn't like V6's because they take up a lot of "crush space" in front of the passenger compartment, but Ford knows how to build FWD cars that get 4 star front crash ratings, so maybe Volvo can learn something from them for a change !
Heard that too. I was told that Ford is unimpressed with Volvo's SI6 virtually all around with the exception of packaging. You might be able to verify this, but my understanding is that the SI6 was being eyeballed for a greater variety of applications until they figured out that neither fuel efficiency or power output was what it really ought to be.

For all the guff Ford NA takes it seems like all the really good near future engine development is coming out of Dearborn.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
EcoBoost is the marketing name (after the short live TwinForce).

GTDI (or GTTDI, "gas twin turbo direct injection") are engineering names.

Same engines. At least two I4s and one V6.
I think you misunderstood me meaning here. I understand that the Ecoboost engines are GTDi engines, but what info I have gotten indicates that there will be more than just Ecoboost badged engines within the GTDi lineup. Again, you may be able to clarify here but what I have been told indicates that......

1. Mainstream, low pressure GTDi engines used in volume application will wear the Ecoboost banner

2. Lincoln's GTDi applications will wear the Twinforce moniker and can be high or low pressure depending upon application.

3. High performance, high pressure GTDi applications will wear another moniker altogether...possibly even Cobra Jet...and will be limited in volume.

But that is just what I've heard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.