GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Surely chyyynnnaaa has loads of deadly areas inland. They do not worry about poisoning Muvver Earff. I remember reading articles about the Soviet Union in the '80s and how they had toxic pools and toxic dumps all over, many in Siberia but they have yooj land mass so plenty of places to dispose of poisons. They do not have Western standards, they have commie standards which means power and profits and damn everything else. Including poisoning their own population. Just another day.
This is just a study of greenhouse gases. But yeah, I would expect a LOT of other pollutants all over too.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
#1 "greenhouse gas" is...wait for it!...WATER VAPOR!!! OMG!! what are we to do?

Odd way to word it, "....with Shanghai, Tokyo, and Moscow topping the list"? No they aren't.
23 out of 25 on this "worst" list are in China, with Shanghai at number 2. The top six cities are in China. Tokyo and Moscow are down from that.
When you bow down to and grovel before chyyynnnaaa, you must never speak ill of them. Or at least, throw in another pair of deadly enemies like Russia and...Japan? Yes, 1945 is over

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Just like Eastern Europe after the Berlin Wall fell, I suspect that China, in the rush to become a manufacturing giant, has some God-awful pockets of heavy metal pollution as well as other stuff dotted all over their landscape ... unless they've managed to load it all on barges and dump in the East China Sea. We may never know for sure.
I always check the country of origin for food I buy - I want nothing from China. Got to watch out, especially with organic food - I've found a surprising amount from China. That spurred me to better understand what "organic" means. So you can water your crops with polluted river water or grow them in poisoned ground as long as you don't use chemical fertilizers and pesticides/herbicides. Doesn't matter if the "natural" river water is laced with mercury and other toxins. As far as I'm concerned organic = scam.

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
I always check the country of origin for food I buy - I want nothing from China. Got to watch out, especially with organic food - I've found a surprising amount from China. That spurred me to better understand what "organic" means. So you can water your crops with polluted river water or grow them in poisoned ground as long as you don't use chemical fertilizers and pesticides/herbicides. Doesn't matter if the "natural" river water is laced with mercury and other toxins. As far as I'm concerned organic = scam.

Be very careful about where you buy your garlic. The majority of it is from China.

If you wanna buy "organic," make sure it's "USDA Organic" and has the seal on the packaging.
Anything else, would be suspect.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
#1 "greenhouse gas" is...wait for it!...WATER VAPOR!!! OMG!! what are we to do?

When you bow down to and grovel before chyyynnnaaa, you must never speak ill of them. Or at least, throw in another pair of deadly enemies like Russia and...Japan? Yes, 1945 is over
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Water vapor is a feedback mechanism. When H2O reaches saturation, additional H2O condenses into liquid water. You cannot exceed 100% relative humidity. CO2 is a whole different animal. Although any given concentration of CO2 is less efficient as a greenhouse gas than H2O, there is no limit to the concentration of CO2. Make no mistake, CO2 is not universally bad. To the contrary, Earth without CO2 is an ice ball. However, Earth with too much CO2 is Venus.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
^^Yes it is. “Water vapor accounts for about 97 percent of the total (natural plus man-emitted) greenhouse warming of the planet.Nov 18, 2011

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Water vapor is a feedback mechanism. When H2O reaches saturation, additional H2O condenses into liquid water. You cannot exceed 100% relative humidity. CO2 is a whole different animal. Although any given concentration of CO2 is less efficient as a greenhouse gas than H2O, there is no limit to the concentration of CO2. Make no mistake, CO2 is not universally bad. To the contrary, Earth without CO2 is an ice ball. However, Earth with too much CO2 is Venus.
The simple reality is the water cycle is a well understood closed loop cycle. There is a fixed amount of H2O that cycles between the sold/liquid and vapor states as you stated.

The carbon cycle is no longer closed loop when you are pulling out massive pools of subterranean hydrocarbons and introducing them into the atmosphere. Now you are adding CO2 to a formerly (mostly) closed loop system. Small changes in concentration can thus push larger responses by the system aka environment.

The people who don't understand that and like to spout "But H2O is the biggest global warming gas!!!!!!!" are the same cro-magnon types that also believe the wildly false information that the CO2 emissions from volcanos far exceed that of man made sources.

Such types are best left alone in their babbling yelling at the clouds state, as much like their namesake will probably become irrelevant via the natural course of life in the coming years.

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
The people who don't understand that and like to spout "But H2O is the biggest global warming gas!!!!!!!" are the same cro-magnon types that also believe the wildly false information that the CO2 emissions from volcanos far exceed that of man made sources.

Such types are best left alone in their babbling yelling at the clouds state, as much like their namesake will probably become irrelevant via the natural course of life in the coming years.
Best paragraphs on GMI in quite a long time!!

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
The simple reality is the water cycle is a well understood closed loop cycle. There is a fixed amount of H2O that cycles between the sold/liquid and vapor states as you stated.

The carbon cycle is no longer closed loop when you are pulling out massive pools of subterranean hydrocarbons and introducing them into the atmosphere. Now you are adding CO2 to a formerly (mostly) closed loop system. Small changes in concentration can thus push larger responses by the system aka environment.

Even if one thinks a little extra H20 in the air is not a big deal, I like to take it to my house level. Moisture, while required for all plants to survive also allows for a lot of funguses to thrive when there is excess and also tends to be a great breeding ground for insects. Funguses require me to spray a lot of my garden plants to keep them alive and the same goes to farms. The more they spray is the more they have to charge for their goods - hits you right in your wallet. And over spraying tends to create resistant funguses (just like we now have antibiotic resistant staph infections, etc) and can eventually lead to crop failure - I like to eat. All from a little extra, harmless water.

Back to my house, I can't point to global warming or anything, but it is definitely a moist year in CT and I've needed to spray anti-fungal on many of my plants. Spruces in my area have been dying over the past 5 years or so as they are being attacked by a few funguses. My once thick spruce trees are now pale shadows of themselves as they are to big to spray. I took down 13 about 5 years ago and am leaving the other 10.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts