GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Just over half of the world's urban greenhouse gas emissions come from just 25 mega-cities, with Shanghai (pictured, Tokyo and Moscow topping the list, a study has found

Researchers from the Sun Yat-sen University in China recorded, for the first time, the greenhouse emission levels of 167 cities located across the globe.

Twenty-three Chinese cities — including Beijing and Handan — were also found to be among the most intensive urban greenhouse gas emitters.

Even though cities only cover some 2 per cent of the Earth's total surface area, they are major contributors to the climate crisis, the team explained.
Moreover, they said, current urban greenhouse gas mitigation efforts are not enough to meet global targets to limit the extent of climate change by the century's end.

Nowadays, more than 50 per cent of the global population resides in cities,' said paper author and urban environmental management researcher Shaoqing Chen of the Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou.

'Cities are reported to be responsible for more than 70 per cent of GHG emissions, and they share a big responsibility for the decarbonization of the global economy.'

'Current inventory methods used by cities vary globally, making it hard to assess and compare the progress of emission mitigation over time and space.'

In their study, Dr Chen and colleagues first conducted sector-level greenhouse gas emissions inventories of 167 cities — from Durban, South Africa to Milan, Italy — from within 53 different countries across the globe.

Each city was chosen for its representativeness in terms of urban size and regional distribution, the team explained.
Next, they assessed how each city's efforts to reduce their carbon footprint had been performing by comparing changes in emission levels from 2012–2016 with their stated short-, mid- and long-term carbon mitigation goals.

The team found that cities with high greenhouse gas emission levels could be found in both developed and developing countries — but noted that megacities like Shanghai and Tokyo) were particularly significant emitters.

LINK

Looking at the latest findings it seems to me the China creates this so called Government global warming problem crisis. It seems we have to pay massive unproportionate heavy amounts in Global Warming related taxes to our Governments for something they will never ever be able to fix as the problem is located in China's big cities. (these Global Warming taxes normally normally prop up Government gold plated pensions and massive Government overspending in the West),

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to read the entire article later.

One thought popped into my mind, the part I read didn't mention if these are manufacturing cities, meaning they aren't apples and oranges when comparing to cities, like most American cities, whose jobs are oriented toward services and don't have much manufacturing. If these cities are producing goods for the world then the premise is a little misleading.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
Illuminates what a sham the Paris Climate Accord is.............

Which allows, (if I recall correctly) China's pollution to continue to GROW for 10 more years, before it starts declining ever so slightly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
At the scientific level, it would be interesting to know the production of greenhouse gases per capita in these cities.

I will take my situation as an example: I live in a city of 1.8 million inhabitants. The pollution of my city is more important than that of the village of my brother-in-law (800 inhabitants). But if we look by inhabitants, we pollute less. There they use their vehicles for the slightest trip and the leisure is to go snowmobiling or rides in an all-terrain vehicle. Here, we walk, use our bikes or even public transport.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts

Which allows, (if I recall correctly) China's pollution to continue to GROW for 10 more years, before it starts declining ever so slightly.
Yeah Thank You Washington DC for kissing ass and stifling the US at the same time.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to read the entire article later.

One thought popped into my mind, the part I read didn't mention if these are manufacturing cities, meaning they aren't apples and oranges when comparing to cities, like most American cities, whose jobs are oriented toward services and don't have much manufacturing. If these cities are producing goods for the world then the premise is a little misleading.
According to the ECO experts blog, the Top 7 most polluting industries are as follows:
  1. Fuel Industry
  2. Agriculture
  3. Fashion Industry
  4. Food Retail
  5. Transport
  6. Construction Work
  7. Technology
Manufacturing is not on the list. Other sources give slightly different result, but there are more similarities than differences. I have not seen a list that places manufacturing in the Top 5 of polluters or carbon emitters. To be sure, none of the industries in the list above or in lists generated by other sources are silos. Certainly, manufacturing impacts each industry on this list.

The simple explanation for the dominant role that mega-cities play in pollution is that mega-cities are where large numbers of human beings live and work. The people tend to have larger incomes that allow them to consume more stuff per capita.

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
China is notorious for their coal plants.

But as with many cities, they have their good days and bad days. Also, why is San Diego ranked the 2nd highest in the US??? It seems so inordinately high.
These are my photos.

Bad day in Shanghai

Good Day in Shanghai

I actually thought the pollution in Lima was far far worse than anything I experience in mainland China.
It took me a while to realize that this wasn't fog. I had the worst time breathing in Lima.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts

This doesn't get much press (surprise!), but even that amazing world expert on almost everything, John Fitzgerald Kerry, has spoken publicly several times to the effect that "We can cut our emissions to zero, it will have no effect on Muvver Earff."
Not exactly his words, but this is yet another farce foisted on US citizens, some of whom believe all this BS, to take money and power and exert more control. Oh yeah, drive evillll petroleum out of business if possible. Never mind we'd be back in the Stone Age in short order if we just quit using petrol. And guess what, we'd be the only ones stupid enough to do that.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,753 Posts
I actually thought the pollution in Lima was far far worse than anything I experience in mainland China.
It took me a while to realize that this wasn't fog. I had the worst time breathing in Lima.

View attachment 64064
Not only does Lima have air pollution issues, in the winter months (June - October) the city has some of the cloudiest weather in the world. It's not unusual for Lima to experience continuous two week stretches of overcast skies in July and August.

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
Not only does Lima have air pollution issues, in the winter months (June - October) the city has some of the cloudiest weather in the world. It's not unusual for Lima to experience continuous two week stretches of overcast skies in July and August.
It was definitely heavy smog in Lima.
Being in San Francisco, I'm used to clouds/fog rolling in and cleaning the air. In Lima, it just hovers and lingers and doesn't clean a damn thing.
On a side note, July-August are some of the foggiest months in San Francisco. The City has been a nice oasis of cool weather during the massive West Coast heat wave. This weekend, we had highs of 62F, but the moment you cross the bridge, it was 90F+.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
the Top 7 most polluting industries are as follows:
  1. Fuel Industry
  2. Agriculture
  3. Fashion Industry
  4. Food Retail
  5. Transport
  6. Construction Work
  7. Technology
Manufacturing is not on the list.
'Manufacturing' feeds every single one of those industries in 100s of ways.
It's too widespread to be considered a self-contained 'industry'.

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
According to the ECO experts blog, the Top 7 most polluting industries are as follows:
  1. Fuel Industry
  2. Agriculture
  3. Fashion Industry
  4. Food Retail
  5. Transport
  6. Construction Work
  7. Technology
Manufacturing is not on the list. Other sources give slightly different result, but there are more similarities than differences. I have not seen a list that places manufacturing in the Top 5 of polluters or carbon emitters. To be sure, none of the industries in the list above or in lists generated by other sources are silos. Certainly, manufacturing impacts each industry on this list.

The simple explanation for the dominant role that mega-cities play in pollution is that mega-cities are where large numbers of human beings live and work. The people tend to have larger incomes that allow them to consume more stuff per capita.
'Manufacturing' feeds every single one of those industries in 100s of ways.
It's too widespread to be considered a self-contained 'industry'.
Does seem odd that energy is not included but she sites tech as a major polluter because of all the electricity used by it. I'd say she's saying particular activity uses energy and allocating energy production pollution as used by that activity. It makes sense, but, in a way it doesn't as my computer just uses energy available, but it is the energy industry that determines the source of that electricity - coal, nuclear, wind, solar, etc.

I feel like she's doing the same with manufacturing as manufacturing is just a facet of individual industries. Food retail does take a lot of energy - cleaning dishes, cooking, lighting, etc - we all have to eat and part of that industry relies on manufacturing. Same with tech, you have to manufacture those laptops, iPhones, etc that suck down electricity as you use them.

I still say manufacturing in general uses a lot of electricity. The west cleaned up our air partly by shipping our manufacturing to China and elsewhere with lax environmental laws and cheap coal plants. Shut down Ohio's manufacturing and send it all to China, then Ohio can say "look at the great job we did cleaning up our air!".

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
I have a feeling the "ECO Experts" are either "Novices", "Corrupted" or have an "Agenda".

I didn't spend too much time on that ECO Expert article, but just skimming it, I'm reading a lot of "propaganda".

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,753 Posts
I have a feeling the "ECO Experts" are either "Novices", "Corrupted" or have an "Agenda".

I didn't spend too much time on that ECO Expert article, but just skimming it, I'm reading a lot of "propaganda".
+1
Ms. Howell's article embodies all of the above: naivete, corruption, and an agenda based on disseminating lies and misinformation.

·
Premium Member
34,383 Posts
so why are we being given grief over here in my little corner of ze world.. by the wackos on ze left with their gulf stream?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Just like Eastern Europe after the Berlin Wall fell, I suspect that China, in the rush to become a manufacturing giant, has some God-awful pockets of heavy metal pollution as well as other stuff dotted all over their landscape ... unless they've managed to load it all on barges and dump in the East China Sea. We may never know for sure.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
Just like Eastern Europe after the Berlin Wall fell, I suspect that China, in the rush to become a manufacturing giant, has some God-awful pockets of heavy metal pollution as well as other stuff dotted all over their landscape ... unless they've managed to load it all on barges and dump in the East China Sea. We may never know for sure.
Surely chyyynnnaaa has loads of deadly areas inland. They do not worry about poisoning Muvver Earff. I remember reading articles about the Soviet Union in the '80s and how they had toxic pools and toxic dumps all over, many in Siberia but they have yooj land mass so plenty of places to dispose of poisons. They do not have Western standards, they have commie standards which means power and profits and damn everything else. Including poisoning their own population. Just another day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts