GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nice report! I can't wait to drive one of these!

·
Registered
644 Posts
the sporty driving experience combined with the high level of practicality and versatility should ensure the car's success

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Taillights are awful, I see a redesign for 2010
I dont think they are that bad... there's def room for improvement though.

My biggest problem would be the lower grilles on the front end.
They appear to be an after thought and appear to look too "Old school Pontiac".
I think they could have integrated them better so they didnt look so cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't wait for the GXP. If the G8 is a hit, which I hope and think will be the case, the GXP obviously would be the next step and be even more amazing (6 Speed manual). Also the G8 coupe seems like something that needs strong consideration.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Can anyone find a bad review of this car?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Taillights are awful, I see a redesign for 2010
At least they didn't use the Firebird's honeycomb taillights where the lamps light up in odd places behind a mesh of what was supposed to look kind of techy (and ended up looking cheap instead). :eek:

I'd love to replace my Bonneville with one of these, and I'd be happy with the 3.6L model.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Nice car. I just hope a 6 speed manual is available sometime soon. My wife wouldn't consider one without it. She loves rowing her own gears.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Nice car, but the review could have done without the typical GM bashing, or rather, the "hint" of bashing. Kind of like, "...is this really from GM....," meaning...GM usually makes junk (what the reviewer was implying). Read between the lines, it sounds like a good review, but has those undertones that make a GM fan cringe. And then they throw in a bash on the GTO, not cool. The review was about 90% ok, and I think they ultimately liked the car. It should sell well, and sounds like the base V6 has got plenty of power too. Interesting to see if it fills the gap the Bonneville left.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
There is so much that I like about this car. Yet I'm having a hard time warming up to it's looks. It just doesn't appeal to me. I don't care for the front or the back. I much prefer the CTS, but this is in my price range, the CTS is not...:(

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Nice car, but the review could have done without the typical GM bashing, or rather, the "hint" of bashing. Kind of like, "...is this really from GM....," meaning...GM usually makes junk (what the reviewer was implying). Read between the lines, it sounds like a good review, but has those undertones that make a GM fan cringe. And then they throw in a bash on the GTO, not cool. The review was about 90% ok, and I think they ultimately liked the car. It should sell well, and sounds like the base V6 has got plenty of power too. Interesting to see if it fills the gap the Bonneville left.
John McElroy doesn't do hidden bashing. I've been watching him for a couple years now and he calls it like he sees it. He has been behind GM's turnaround from the start.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think that he has full right to say what he said. The G8 is everything that GM hasnt been for a long time. When was the last time GM made an affordable performance sedan with such quality? Im not talking about a sporty W body, but a real RWD performance sedan that is talked about in the same manner as a BMW 5 series?
They havent.
Sad part is that this will all be short lived.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good review, at least he was honest about the comparison between the drive of the G8 and the 5 series.

Car looks great, taillights are just a small little thing to worry about IMO. The GM rep seemed extremely enthusiastic about the G8 which makes me feel good that someone on such a long project is still excited at this point, then the consumers should be excited as well.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
John McElroy doesn't do hidden bashing. I've been watching him for a couple years now and he calls it like he sees it. He has been behind GM's turnaround from the start.
Yup. I agree that John has no nefarious agenda. In fact, after watching him for several years, I'd be more inclined to describe him as a Detroit supporter.

This was a reasonable review of a nice car; his points of contention are minor and appropriate.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yup. I agree that John has no nefarious agenda. In fact, after watching him for several years, I'd be more inclined to describe him as a Detroit supporter.

This was a reasonable review of a nice car; his points of contention are minor and appropriate.
Yeah, but shame on him for saying what he did about the GTO

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I find myself liking this car for it's American muscle car rear drive smokey burn out power and inviting interior. But it's the exterior styling that leaves me cold. It's just not a Pontiac to me and it starts with the very un-Pontiac tail lights and cold plain bland BMW cloned exterior. It needs some more visual appeal and character before I would consider one. The other 3 vehicles he mentioned, the Enclave, Malibu and CTS pulled off the exterior styling way better IMO.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts