GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://jalopnik.com/376373/radio-reporter-sneaks-out-first-video-of-chevy-volt-electric-car

WWJ Radio's Jeff Gilbert has posted video of the battery lab and the wind tunnel we described from yesterdays Chevy Volt event at GM. We don't know how he got out of there alive with it, we don't know why GM officials weren't all over him for filming this and we don't know what the ramifications will be. But seriously though, who knew a radio reporter could be so sneaky, anyway?
(Unrelated)
I'm having some trouble posting. I couldn't get through last night at all and I have no idea whats going on at this point. So excuse my double posts and broken links for the time being.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Gotta love those Jalopnik comments.

Cool video though. Just look for the Malibu Classic with the unpainted widebody kit.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
awesome!!.. i want one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to laugh at the utter uselessness of a video of a test mule Malibu. What exactly, did
Jeff think was of any interest? The fact that it moves? We already knew that. That mule didn't even have an li ion battery pack - it was using old NiMH cells from the EV-1 days.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Selling 100,000 a year seems a bit too optimistic to me.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Couple of interesting things to note...

1. GM either had a helping hand in the "leak" or it knew someone would leak pictures out of the studio/ testing area. Why else would they camoflauge the WIND TUNNEL CAR?!!!!!! Just like a real tester on the road. And the tape job is intense, meaning GM did not want anyone to know anything about the final design.

2. Even with all that camo, check out the front. There have been some major changes. Rounded front fascia (especially in the headlight area and hood) and more agressively raked windshield. The back end looks like there might be a spoiler, as suggested by several people before. And the trunk is really high.

3. The woman in the wind tunnel looked like she was posing for the cell phone guy. She is not holding the stream steady like she would have to for "wind tunnel tests". PR stunt?

4. The guy filming is seen in the reflection holding the cell phone. He is also taking long pics of the employees...Two things he would not be able to do if this didn't have a helping hand from GM. PR stunt, but good one to show progress and keep the excitement going. Too bad the narrator is a bit of an idiot.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think they can. And if the press gets behind them and hypes it like they have the Prius...Thi sbeing a better car...They should.

Other note, did everyone see the new mirror placement?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Selling 100,000 will not be the problem, the problem will be ramping up supply for a game changing car.
The volt is to be sold in all markets. Total production must ramp up fast to supply the demand. Lutz stated the volt will sell at full production at a rate of 2 million a year worldwide. Holden Volt, Opel Volt, Saturn Volt, BPG Volt, Cady Volt(Provoq),Sabb Volt,Hummer Volt(H-1).If they build it the public will buy. The Volt is the Model T.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Wow, 2 Million globally is 20-25% of all GM sales! How fast do they plan on getting there?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
I have no idea about whether or not the Volt-specifically, its powertrain-will be a success or not. But I like when GM takes a more pro-active approach in its own survival. It really ought to stand them in better stead. It's refreshing to hear engineers say that GM gave them a timetable and has given them real resources to achieve it: "whatever it takes" is a nice motto. That doesn't mean that they will succeed, it doesn't per se mean that they're wasting money, but it's refreshing that they're giving it the college effort for once.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
This was interesting to see, they made some major progress in the battery size.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
$30,000? Over 100 miles to the gallon? Cool looks? I think 100,000 could be an underestimate. Of course, that is assuming the battery doesn't blow up on anyone.

I really think this car is significant - for GM and for America. It really is something great that an American car company decided to take on this challenge and move the chains on fuel economy. If this works, GM will have effectively made Toyota look very stupid.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
$30,000? Over 100 miles to the gallon? Cool looks? I think 100,000 could be an underestimate. Of course, that is assuming the battery doesn't blow up on anyone.

I really think this car is significant - for GM and for America. It really is something great that an American car company decided to take on this challenge and move the chains on fuel economy. If this works, GM will have effectively made Toyota look very stupid.
Unfortunately, it won't be $30,000. Lutz said that a more realistic price would be $48k, but I'm guessing they'll sell it for about $40k and either take a small loss or break even just for the P R and production scale. I doubt many would buy it at $48k, even if it doesn't run on any gas most of the time. Maybe with government tax incentives it can get closer to $35-36k.

They're also now saying that the 40 mile electric only range will only happen if driven around town on side streets and not on high speed expressway driving. D'oh!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
do you think they will make the volt able to give a regular car a jump if their battery dies? i know the volt wont need it but other cars still will

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I wonder if Chrysler and Ford will jump on board after the Volt comes out and buys the technology sort of like the early '50s when they bought Hydramatic transmissions...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If they sell it for $35,000 all I have to say is nice.
Maybe for 2012 they could have a $40,000 Saturn and maybe even a $50,000 Caddy version this would allow for more buyers and to spread the cost eventually bringing it down.
150MPG woo

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
If they sell it for $35,000 all I have to say is nice.
Maybe for 2012 they could have a $40,000 Saturn and maybe even a $50,000 Caddy version this would allow for more buyers and to spread the cost eventually bringing it down.
150MPG woo
thats not bad thinking, if they could launch say, 2 different volts. a chevy and a cadillac, the two prices could offset each other and the could break even or even make a profit on it.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Looks like it may have a usable back seat and trunk, which the concept doesn't have. It's curious that it's wider than a Malibu--to save weight it should be narrower, but perhaps they need more space for batteries (and more room to justify the high price).

Later in the video: the batteries appear to be in a "T" shape under the back seat(?) and up the center of the floor. That explains the extra width.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts