GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT -- The Chrysler group is developing a Jeep model from a front-drive platform, a bold departure for a brand that specializes in rugged off-roaders.

Two industry sources say the new Jeep will be based on a small, fwd platform co-developed with one of Chrysler's alliance partners. One source says the partner is Mitsubishi.

The vehicle will be positioned as an inexpensive, entry-level SUV positioned below the Liberty. The vehicle is expected to offer four- or all-wheel drive.

Chrysler officials say the lineup will stay true to Jeep's robust brand image.

But the new vehicle represents a significant change for Jeep, a brand that has relied on dedicated 4wd platforms and assembly plants. Besides being built on a front-wheel-drive platform, the vehicle almost certainly will be assembled in a plant that also produces non-Jeep vehicles.

"Is there a chance that one of our alliance partners could use this same platform that we would use for one of the Jeeps? Absolutely," says a Chrysler source familiar with the project who asked not to be identified.

Mitsubishi and the Chrysler group are co-developing a fwd platform for a wide range of vehicles. The unnamed Jeep vehicle is expected to debut in 2006 or early 2007. "Final decisions have not been made on that," says the Chrysler source.

The vehicle is part of a plan to expand the Jeep line from three to at least five nameplates by early 2007, a source says.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
790 Posts
this kills me, and so many people HATE hummer now, cuz they are "sell outs" with the H2 that is actually only second to the H1, it has too much plastic yes, but ive heard poeple comparing the H1 to a rubicon, and favoring the rubicon...

im sure this will beat the H2 also hey even the H1! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Enough already!!!....Don't we have 2 many sissy trucks running around now???...It's time 4 a new trend. This is getting lame.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
As long as it looks like a JEEP on the outside instead of having just a JEEP grill with Outlander wheels, windows, and headlamps then I'm OK with it. In other words: don't rebadge the way that GM did with the midsizers and midvans.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Apr 6 2004, 04:50 PM
As long as it looks like a JEEP on the outside instead of having just a JEEP grill with Outlander wheels, windows, and headlamps then I'm OK with it.  In other words: don't rebadge the way that GM did with the midsizers and midvans.
with the new products chryler/dodge has/had (minivan, 300,charger) coming out soon, doubt jeep gets much attention.. i doubt they will spend that much time on this thing. a reskin is called for though, but IMO the temptation to save money and just slap a jeep grille on there and call it a day will be too strong.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This makes sense. I overheard a soccer-mom type saying "I want a small SUV like the Jeep Liberty, but something more like a car".

Sounds like a Kia Sorento or Mitsu Outlander or something...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 6 2004, 05:09 PM
This makes sense. I overheard a soccer-mom type saying "I want a small SUV like the Jeep Liberty, but something more like a car".

Sounds like a Kia Sorento or Mitsu Outlander or something...
yeah, i mentioned that it'll probably just be a rebadge job on the outlander. i also think theres enough of these, not sure why they want to get into this market.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It sounds like it's going to new platform. I would guess something on DCX/mitsubishi's new small car platform AKA, the next neon.

-T

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Apr 7 2004, 08:35 AM
It sounds like it's going to new platform.  I would guess something on DCX/mitsubishi's new small car platform AKA, the next neon.

-T
think they purposely avoided the word "new".. this kind of vehicle would be more suited for dodge, or even an upperscale version as a chrysler, below the pacifica. it contradicts jeep's whole brand image.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s+Apr 7 2004, 02:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (IMPALAon20s @ Apr 7 2004, 02:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-T-Keith@Apr 7 2004, 08:35 AM
It sounds like it's going to new platform.  I would guess something on DCX/mitsubishi's new small car platform AKA, the next neon.

-T
think they purposely avoided the word "new".. this kind of vehicle would be more suited for dodge, or even an upperscale version as a chrysler, below the pacifica. it contradicts jeep's whole brand image. [/b][/quote]
I agree, I don't think that Jeep fans are going to like this at all. They didn't like the Liberty because it had IFS. Remember what happened with the square headlights?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
That's true. If the demand is there, you gotta start somewhere and the Outlander is not a bad choice.

off-topic:
BTW, is there going to be an Outlander Evolution?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts