GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoweek recently interviewed Jay Leno and took a ride in his '55 Buick Roadmaster. The car has an interesting history - it was Leno's first ride when he moved to California.

The car sat for a number of years until a now-successful Leno decided to restore the car - with a twist.

It now sports a GM572 crate motor pushing over 600 hp and the rear suspension from a C4 Corvette and the front suspension from a C5. Leno reports it will give a Porche 911 Turbo a run in the twisties.

Best of all - in sleeper tradition - the car was restored to look like a stock '55 Buick. Even the hubcaps have been expanded to cover the now-17 inch wheels.

Check it out - http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_co...t_code=06494089

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
That car embodies the potential strength of the Buick brand. I said Y-job in your branding quiz, but these old Roadmasters fit the bill, too. If GM can recapture the essence of this car, and wrap it into a more contemporary theme, Buick could eventually be stronger than Cadillac is today, letting Cadillac move further upmarket with V12s and such.

Look at Leno's Buick, and think about what it says about Buick.... then look at LaCrosse and decide if the mission's been accomplished...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whatta life that Leno lives! I'm just glad he's a car guy, and does so much fun car stuff with the gazillions of lira he earns a year. If your readn' this Jay, I got a project for you. See I'm a Buick guy from way back like you.

But as so cool as the Roadmaster is,... a Chevy motor? C'mon, that's a fine engine but way too easy. Any chump with the cash can do that. May I respectfully suggest a better, more authentic way.

I suspect you probably gave some thought to doing a vintage hot rod on that old nail head motor but wanted 21st century leading edge max horseponies to launch that boat.

Well, you couldda kept your Buick Roadmaster all Buick, powertrain wise, by seeing the guys at T/A performance in Scottsdale Az. (About 5 minutes from the Barrett-Jackson, just north of the runway at Scottsdale Airport.) These dudes did the Stage 2 alloy heads for the mighty Buick 455. And sequential port fuel injection. And soon an alloy block!!

Now in the spirit of all Buick, recall that Buick was THE turbocharger division at GM. From '78-87. Remember a stock GN could suck the fiberglass off a 'vette with a hair dried V-6. Car and Driver road tested the '86, and clocked a 4.9 sec 0-60! (C/D, Dec. '85).

Fast forward to your next project. An all alloy, fuel injected, intercooled, big block Buick. With twin blowers. You REALLY won't need more than 455 cubic inches. Trust me. Since you saw it here first, I get dibbs on the 1st trip down the 1320.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yup, I would have been much more impressed if he had used a buick big block instead of the usual -yawn-chevy engine....TA is bringing that alloy block soon, there is already an aftermarket iron block running and will support 573 cubic inches....with Jays money he could have pioneered FI and helped developed the engine and saved us hobbiests all that money!!!

But its good that he used a Buick, I get a kick out of that.

Those are special rims, no hubcaps...17" truck tires with the whitewalls added to make it look stock....sneaky, sneaky....

Later
Tim
71 GS 455 Stage 1
72 GS 350 convertible

1 - 4 of 4 Posts