GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if the US Goverment helped GM develop Volt, as well as other domestic automotive hybrid technology?

Lets leave the political parties out of it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23793222/page/2/

The road to a stronger CAFE standard

The Big Three and Toyota are already busy trying to map out strategies for a 35-mpg world. That includes everything from hybrids to plug-ins to clean diesel engines and smaller gas engines that boost fuel economy without sacrificing power. GM and Chrysler are in the process of rolling out a two-mode hybrid system they developed with BMW for pickup trucks and full-size SUVs such as the Chevy Tahoe and Chrysler Aspen. But the technology adds more than $10,000 to the cost of each vehicle, and still only boosts fuel economy to a highway/city average of 22 mpg. Despite advances in engine technology, there just isn't anything else on the horizon that will push pickups and large SUVs beyond 25 mpg, and even that comes at great cost. At GM, Lutz expects that costly gas-electric hybrids will have to make up 80% of the lineup by 2020 to hit the standard. In the meantime, the company is exploring other options: offering a smaller, four-cylinder engine in its forthcoming Camaro muscle car and eliminating altogether some of the gas-guzzler sedans on its drawing board. Ford is readying a new family of gas engines that will improve fuel economy between 10% and 20% compared with the engines they replace.
Quote from article, from Jim Press.

It hardly seems fair to Detroit to compare its efforts in the hybrid arena to Toyota's. Chrysler's Press says when he was at Toyota, "the Japanese government paid for 100% of the development of the battery and hybrid system that went into the Toyota Prius."

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Detriot got over a billion dollars in R&D money for hybrids back in the 1990s. Maybe not 100%, but still.

·
Registered
289 Posts
:(It seems like Japan is still at war with us , they just use Plasma screens ,and Toyota instead of guns . Is it just me or has every country in the world figured out , they cant mess with our Army ?

But they know they can find another way to get us , Sacramento CA sounds nice .

I think Tax dollars should go to the VOLT ! Why does Pearl Harbor come to mind ?

Yea that Camry is made in the USA , its an American car.

I dont think Japan still has a grudge , i am sure they are over that. That is why there goverment acts the way they do. Little Boy and Fat Man didnt end anything , they just started it all . IMHO.:(

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
:(It seems like Japan is still at war with us , they just use Plasma screens ,and Toyota instead of guns . Is it just me or has every country in the world figured out , they cant mess with our Army ?

But they know they can find another way to get us , Sacramento CA sounds nice .

I think Tax dollars should go to the VOLT ! Why does Pearl Harbor come to mind ?

Yea that Camry is made in the USA , its an American car.

I dont think Japan still has a grudge , i am sure they are over that. That is why there goverment acts the way they do. Little Boy and Fat Man didnt end anything , they just started it all . IMHO.:(
It's not anything that negative. It's a government funding its local auto companies to find ways to help the country (and the world) be less dependent on fossil fuel.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Is this why those cars have so many recalls? With all that free money, now I see why the strippers got so many tips!

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's not anything that negative. It's a government funding its local auto companies to find ways to help the country (and the world) be less dependent on fossil fuel.

Oh i see , thank you for that . Let me guess , you are voting for Hillary ?:confused:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The problem is if you give money to GM you will have all kinds of activist nutbags screaming "corporate handout!" Even if it is for the better of the country, these idiots would get too much attention from the media which has its own agenda.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
lets remove the law that says "if you can not afford a lawyer the govt. will pay for one" and use that money to develop the batteries.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
It would appear there is a grain of truth to these stories about the Japanese government assisting Toyota. I'm curious to hear from the frequent posters that have claimed this not to be the case - and that GM's situation is entirely of their own doing.

It would appear there is truth on both sides, no? Japan has been assisting Toyota in many ways that our government isn't matching and GM made some poor decisions in the past. But thats not argumentative enough, is it?

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
The problem is if you give money to GM you will have all kinds of activist nutbags screaming "corporate handout!" Even if it is for the better of the country, these idiots would get too much attention from the media which has its own agenda.
This is true, Ralph Nader ripped on these programs. OTOH, nobody cares about Ralph Nader any more.
http://www.commondreams.org/views/061900-104.htm

I hate getting political with all the reactionary doofs on this board, but Obama proposed a huge subsidy program for a fuel-efficient American vehicle program and he got flamed in the local and industry press (here for example) because he drove a 300C. Since Michigan decided to vote for the primary losers, who knows if that deal is still on the table.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5839572

·
Registered
804 Posts
It would appear there is a grain of truth to these stories about the Japanese government assisting Toyota. I'm curious to hear from the frequent posters that have claimed this not to be the case - and that GM's situation is entirely of their own doing.

It would appear there is truth on both sides, no? Japan has been assisting Toyota in many ways that our government isn't matching and GM made some poor decisions in the past. But thats not argumentative enough, is it?
Doesn't anyone remember the Partnership for Next Generation Vehicle? The US government spent well over a billion dollars just doing R&D for the auto companies.

http://www.ncseonline.org/nle/crsreports/energy/eng-9.cfm

Japan isn't out to get us - their government (and their industry) is just leaner and more responsive to public perception. It's called humility. They clearly thought that with 5 years of government spending and research, the big three would have their own hybrids on the road and they needed to make something competitive. That they succeeded shows that they were focused on the task because it meant survival. The big three were focused on making nice with Clinton Gore till Bush showed up.

Anyone seen "who killed the electric car?"? It's sad to think what could have been if GM was run by visionary leaders who decided that the Electric Vehicle was an essential investment. We'd be saying "what's a Prius"...

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Nationalistic Hybrid Research and Devleopment, a play in 3 acts by vcs2600.

Act 1 (year 1992):
Government: We need to increase fuel economy
Detroit: OHhh, its sooo hard. Give us money.
Government: Here's a billion bucks think up something good
Detroit: We have developed this picture of a hybrid car
JapanInc: Oh shlit oh shlit oh shlit
Detroit: F hybrids! The "Real American(tm)" wants to buy SUVS!!!
JapanInc: With honor we present you Toyota Plius
Detroit: HaHaHaHa Nobody wants that crap, All new Chevy Tahoe!!!

Act 2 (year 2003, (katrina, gas hits $3/gallon)
Government: Where's our damn hybrid cars we paid for?!?!?
JapanInc: Plius now top-selling car, very much admired by amerlicans.
Detroit: DIS IS R CUNRTY. (drags knuckles)
Government: That's it, raise the CAFE standards, maybe they'll buy a clue.

Act 3:
To be continued.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's true and they also subsidize their healthcare to the tune of almost $1,000.00 a car, on top of that they closed their market to imports from the US. Why anyone would buy a japanese product is a mystery to me, I would not set my bottom in a Toyota or Nissan. For those that don't think so, Toyota and Nissan are Japanese products, the bulk of their profits go back to Japan, just because you have a few plants in America DOESN'T MAKE YOU AMERICAN!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Detriot got over a billion dollars in R&D money for hybrids back in the 1990s. Maybe not 100%, but still.
I would like to see the numbers on your claim of "over a billion dollars", don't know that I trust it out of hand. Either way, a billion dollars is chicken scratch when it comes to developing such technology.

GM alone spent over 3billion dollars developing the EV-1, and then was left high and dry when California simply rescinded its legislation requiring zero emissions vehicles when the Japanese complained that they could not meet the timetable.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nationalistic Hybrid Research and Devleopment, a play in 3 acts by vcs2600.

Act 1 (year 1992):
Government: We need to increase fuel economy
Detroit: OHhh, its sooo hard. Give us money.
Government: Here's a billion bucks think up something good
Detroit: We have developed this picture of a hybrid car
JapanInc: Oh shlit oh shlit oh shlit
Detroit: F hybrids! The "Real American(tm)" wants to buy SUVS!!!
JapanInc: With honor we present you Toyota Plius
Detroit: HaHaHaHa Nobody wants that crap, All new Chevy Tahoe!!!

Act 2 (year 2003, (katrina, gas hits $3/gallon)
Government: Where's our damn hybrid cars we paid for?!?!?
JapanInc: Plius now top-selling car, very much admired by amerlicans.
Detroit: DIS IS R CUNRTY. (drags knuckles)
Government: That's it, raise the CAFE standards, maybe they'll buy a clue.

Act 3:
To be continued.
the Plius is the top selling car?? I think Hummer sells more monsters than Toyota sells Priuses.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts