GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINN1345360820081013?rpc=44

DETROIT, Oct 13 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp said on Monday it would close its Janesville, Wisconsin, assembly plant by year-end in response to slumping demand for the full-size SUVs it manufactures.

GM had previously said it would close the Janesville plant by 2010, but a spokesman said the sharp drop in SUV sales through September had forced it to act sooner.

The plant employs about 1,200 hourly workers represented by the United Auto Workers and assembles GM's Yukon and Suburban SUV models. The plant will shut down operations on Dec. 23.

Article continues at link.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
2 days before Christmas... classy.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Rick and Lutz at their best. Plant closing, billions in red, Market Share decline. But yea we want to buy chrysler so that we can produce more suv's and trucks and we do not want to bring mini car here.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Rick and Lutz at their best. Plant closing, billions in red, Market Share decline. But yea we want to buy chrysler so that we can produce more suv's and trucks and we do not want to bring mini car here.
Same ****, different day. I think the closings of said plants proves they do not want to produce more trucks and SUVs. Get a clue.

On the mini-car front, it:
1) wouldn't be profitable
2) wouldn't sell

A recipe for success for sure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Since the goal of any business is to make money, would you prefer to tell the shareholders "Yeah, we could have saved more money but it was Christmas so we delayed the closure."

Bad timing for sure, but it's a business, and times are as tough as ever.
The truth sure hurts.....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
way back when in 2005, during hurrican katrina when gas prices went to $3 a gallon the first time and not come back since, why didn't GM then figure that the tide had turned and it's time to produce more fuel efficient vehicles? don't they pay their marketing managers a lot of money to see that coming? every gm salesperson I know saw that coming and we only make 50-100k a year. hell, gm wants to save money....fire your upper echelon management and hire people who know how to sell cars!!
i wish all the employees of moraine, janesville and other closing plants the best of luck. it's a damned crime is what it is. it could have been prevented.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
way back when in 2005, during hurrican katrina when gas prices went to $3 a gallon the first time and not come back since, why didn't GM then figure that the tide had turned and it's time to produce more fuel efficient vehicles? don't they pay their marketing managers a lot of money to see that coming? every gm salesperson I know saw that coming and we only make 50-100k a year. hell, gm wants to save money....fire your upper echelon management and hire people who know how to sell cars!!
i wish all the employees of moraine, janesville and other closing plants the best of luck. it's a damned crime is what it is. it could have been prevented.
It's all well and good that you guys saw this coming, but new cars don't just appear out of thin air. 2005 was only 3 years ago, product cycles are usually 5 years, and completely new development is at least 3. Given that (and the product in the pipeline), I'd say your criticism is misplaced.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
They said two years ago Janesville would be closed soon. It is the oldest plant in America and it is situated far away from the rest of the infrastructure. It is always sad to see good jobs be lost from good families and communities; but they knew it was coming, just 6 to 12 months early.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
What other plants produce the Suburban twins? IMO there is a market for 25000 full-size SUVs so I'm sure one plant can carry that production. I diasgree with some who think mini-cars will not sell in N.A. Times have changed and I believe that a well designed and cute mini-car would be a success in urban areas. Image is important as well and if GM offers a competitive fuel-efficient mini-car it can help their bloated image of today.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
As much as I get the sentiment behind your statement, what would you suggest? 2 days after Christmas? The plant is going to close period, the staff have more than 2 months notice of said closure. It makes it a whole lot more classy than arriving to work on Dec 23rd and getting your pink slip unexpectedly.

Would these plants go into some kind of Christmas break anyway in which case the 23rd might have been the last day worked for a week or so anyway?

GM provides enough welfare through pensions, job banks etc that they don't need to extend this any more than necessary.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
What other plants produce the Suburban twins? IMO there is a market for 25000 full-size SUVs so I'm sure one plant can carry that production. I diasgree with some who think mini-cars will not sell in N.A. Times have changed and I believe that a well designed and cute mini-car would be a success in urban areas. Image is important as well and if GM offers a competitive fuel-efficient mini-car it can help their bloated image of today.
Anybody with a kid isn't even going to look at a mini-car. Our stroller barely fits in the ASTRA, so a Smart car wouldn't be true to its name (i.e. a smart purchase). Mini-cars are a niche for single, childless, eco-minded, well-to-doers, not something for the masses. And even in that niche, I'd bet most would bump up to a hybrid (staying with the eco angle) with more tech goodies.

·
Banned
110 Posts
so if everything is cancel, delayed, reviewed, changed ---what is going on in the meantime ---fuel inefficient camaro, ht3 (4spd auto--never, unless 6auto for fuel efficiency & at least 275 from the inline-5) will save gm? old platforms extended 6-9 years life. No-way would i purchase an old platform. I bought a honda odesey because gm had a 10yr. minivan platforn same as my1997 pontiac t-p mv. no way would i buy a cobalt/impala/lamba/malibu--years from now--should all be new by jan-2010 or going to be-- malibu. We are suppose to just wait 2-yrs. for good product --no GM decided not to bring the cruze here on time so loose sales--GM could have the cruze here by early 09 but decided to continue on cobalt---why not just have both---give the the cust a choice to upgrade to cruze with a premium price.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

Since the goal of any business is to make money, would you prefer to tell the shareholders "Yeah, we could have saved more money but it was Christmas so we delayed the closure."

Bad timing for sure, but it's a business, and times are as tough as ever.
I own shares of GM and could care less if they waited until a month after Christmas. You think this "Savings" is going to be reflected in the stock's value? Oh yeah, my GM stock doesn't really have any value now that at is a 5 DECADE low.

I'm not arguing they shouldn't close the plant if thats what needs to be done but IMO your point is wrong. The timing will have no effect on stock value and I doubt GM is doing it to help out the shareholders. You know if you adverstise as the "Heartbeat of America" and say you are really a part of the country you should act that way. Insensitively screwing your workers should not be an acceptable American Value. With all the money GM pisses away they could do a little better then this.

For god sakes I'm Jewish and find closing the plant two days before Christmas offensive... How horrible do you think the holidays will be for every one of those families (especially the children)? How could you not care and call that acceptable business? Are there no standards left for Corprate America?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts