GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New editorial piece:

The Chevy Volt Won't Save GM, But The Chevy Cruze Might

If you're a GM fan-boy, you're probably a pretty happy camper this week. GM's celebrating its centennial and you've seen the live reveals of both the upcoming Chevy Cruze, the 40 MPG+ econobox you can't ignore yesterday, and today, the Chevy Volt, GM's resuscitation of the electric car. One of these two will save GM, the other will not. If you can't tell from the headline, let's make it clear again: Keep your fancy-pants electric cars, GM — you won't be saved by the Chevy Volt. No, instead, it's the little Chevy Cruze that should get the savior-like halo.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Volt is 100% perception changer. It is probably the most needed car at GM now.

Cruze will the car that "regular" people buy. It will be the pure volume seller at GM. It won't "save" GM because GM just doesn't make money off small cars built in the US -- not without significant cost cutting of some sort. And GM can't afford to do that because the competition is pouring on the heat in this segment.
So in order to make money, Cruze will need to sell in extreme high volumes.

Volt is the savior.
Cruze is the volume behind the image.

·
Super Moderator
10,888 Posts

Cruze will the car that "regular" people buy. It will be the pure volume seller at GM. It won't "save" GM because GM just doesn't make money off small cars built in the US -- not without significant cost cutting of some sort. And GM can't afford to do that because the competition is pouring on the heat in this segment.

Volt is the savior.
Yup, but I'd redefine it as:

Volt is the "image savior"
Cruze is the "corporate savior"

The Cruze is a much more important product to the masses no doubt --- but GM's image will be GOLDEN if they can pull off the Volt and change a lot of minds out there.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
New editorial piece:

The Chevy Volt Won't Save GM, But The Chevy Cruze Might

If you're a GM fan-boy, you're probably a pretty happy camper this week. GM's celebrating its centennial and you've seen the live reveals of both the upcoming Chevy Cruze, the 40 MPG+ econobox you can't ignore yesterday, and today, the Chevy Volt, GM's resuscitation of the electric car. One of these two will save GM, the other will not. If you can't tell from the headline, let's make it clear again: Keep your fancy-pants electric cars, GM — you won't be saved by the Chevy Volt. No, instead, it's the little Chevy Cruze that should get the savior-like halo.
If it looked like the Volt and kept the name Cobalt I would agree.
However, sadly, I predict that the next gen Focus is going to eat GM's lunch.
The Cruze is a mess of a design with a horrid name. Horrid front end with a boring rear end. Just a mess of different design elements with none of them flowing organically like a great design should-namely like the Volt, which is designed properly, IMO.
The Koreans should not have been let within 10 feet of designing anything but the Aveo.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well, I am going to buy a volt for the following reasons:

1. I am a fan of GM cars and Trucks
2. Volt is a game changer!
3. I am tired of people who's mission is to wipe me off the map receive my hard earned money through the purchase of oil, hence a Volt will be sitting in my driveway as soon as there is one to purchase
4. I am a lifetime member of the I will never buy an import for life CLUB!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

Volt is the savior.
GM has already said the Cruze will be a higher priced car than the cobalt so they can turn a profit on it. i keep telling people no matter what they hope for or think driving a car is going to get a lot more expensive even if you get better mileage.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Volt is 100% perception changer. It is probably the most needed car at GM now.... Volt is the savior. Cruze is the volume behind the image.
Crack pipe. The Volt will change nothing. America will not run to GM's "me too" car.

Other GM "game changers" - The Solstice for Pontiac; the entire All-New Saturn line-up; the GM-900's Silverado/Tahao etc. (oh, don't forget GM's game changing Crossovers...)

Only GM fanboys are waiting for the Volt. America could not possibly care any less. (And the Cruze is oh so average, again, still.)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I dont know what some of you guys are smoking, but the cruze looks better than the cobalt, hands down. Then, with 40* mpg, that will add "interest" itself from the American public. I think its a hit. Two much needed cars, right now.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The Volt is a game changer. I don't think it will sell in amazing numbers, but it will generate buzz...and you can bet that it will help with Chevrolet's and GM's image. I don't even think GM will make money on this car, at least not this generation. The first 5 or 6 years the Prius was out, Toyota actually lost money.
This car is going to out-hybrid the Prius, and it should free up some CAFE credits (provided the EPA stops being stupid) so GM can get away with selling cars like the Camaro, Corvette, and Cadillacs.

I think the Cruze should sell well, but I'd like to see the comfort, quality, and interior quietness that is with the Malibu.

Essentially, it needs to be a baby Malibu. I'd also like to see a 200 horsepower 2.4L engine with an optional 5 speed manual....like a poor man's Acura TSX.

It could work.

I'm not sure if I like Pontiac getting a version, but I definately would like to see either the new Astra (Americanized version) or a new Saturn Ion sedan to go along side the Astra. Maybe this chassis can support that.
As long as they don't dumb down the Chevrolet version....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Crack pipe. The Volt will change nothing. America will not run to GM's "me too" car.
Interesting quote especially considering Washington DC had Marion Barry as Mayor! As for the Volt, just wait to you see the Government install charging stations in their parking lots...."Me too Car" my ass!

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
(And the Cruze is oh so average, again, still.)
Please enlighten us by giving details of your test drive and time spent in a production Cruze. Because you must've spent some serious time behind the wheel to come off with that judgement.

We're waiting.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Other GM "game changers" - The Solstice for Pontiac; the entire All-New Saturn line-up; the GM-900's Silverado/Tahao etc. (oh, don't forget GM's game changing Crossovers...)

Only GM fanboys are waiting for the Volt. America could not possibly care any less. (And the Cruze is oh so average, again, still.)
I think every American would be more than interested in a car that uses no gas.

If people can afford a TB, Envoy, Tahoe, Traverse, etc. they can more than likely afford the Volt especially with the potential tax credit.

The Volt is just as important as the Cruze because a lot of people buy Corollas based on Toyotas reputation for fuel economy. The Volt will provide the Green image necessary to bring in small car buyers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Please enlighten us by giving details of your test drive and time spent in a production Cruze. Because you must've spent some serious time behind the wheel to come off with that judgement.
A production Cruze!! :lmao: The Cruze will be for sale in the US...next week, no, must be next month then. Management timed it perfectly! No? Pathetic. Amarica's not sitting around waiting for the Cruze to someday be released. The Cruze would have been competitive in 2003...maybe. It's Cobalt "Take 2".

Similiar to the Chevy Volt aka the Chevy "Zune". :lmao:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Interesting quote especially considering Washington DC had Marion Barry as Mayor! As for the Volt, just wait to you see the Government install charging stations in their parking lots...."Me too Car" my ass!
Yeah, Barry was a fraud. Of course, the Mayor of Detroit...

I won't hold my breath for "charging stations". If you've been to DC you'd know most Senators and Congressmen don't drive GM cars.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts

Despite everyone's prognostications, Volt isn't a "me too" car.
The $10 billion question is whether GM takes what it learns from Volt and spreads the technology across the board.
Personally, I think GM's still pushing it to get the car out the door November 2010. But whenever it does come out, it is a game changer.

Solstice wasn't a game changer. What was it changing? It's a roadster. A niche car in a niche market already dominated by Miata.
The original Saturn was a game changer, until GM decided it had enough and folded its cards.
GM-900 is not a game changer. Not even close.
And Lambdas aren't game changers either.

BTW... do you know what a game changer is?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

You're right!
You should stop smokin your crack pipe.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Cruze won't be completely GM's savior. There will be another car coming out around the same time that will be very much in the Cruze's paces.

·
Registered
697 Posts

So, what is wrong with your America? Or are you wrong for my America?

American's should want to buy American products and employ fellow Americans and yes, even support American companies which funnel money back into the American economy. Seems many Americans look long and hard for reasons to hate American cars, American beer and Americans.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the last days of Rome.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts