GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hummer H2 To Die By 2011, Take Cheap Gas With It

The Hummer haters at FUH2 will get their wish faster than they'd ever hoped. It seems the death knell of the Hummer H2 has been sound. Yes, that's correct, we've just received word a decision came down within the last few weeks at the General to end production of the H2. But if you've been holding off on buying that H2 with the 28 inch DUBs and sound system with enough power to make you sterile, don't freak out just yet. Instead of getting the axe right away, we believe the H2 will be allowed to live out its current product life cycle. This probably means the 2011 model year will be the H2's swan song. Full death-filled conclusion to every environmentalist's favorite target after the jump...

More here:
Hummer H2 To Die By 2011, Take Cheap Gas With It

Ray

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I know it is kind of an unneeded vehicle, but it is kind of sad. I want to see what it can do with the 4.5l diesel in it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think this adds more fuel to the fire of the rumor that GM is looking at Hummer as a competitor/replacement for Jeep. While it is unpopular now, the H2 was a very profitable vehicle but, as everything else, it will be downsized. Can you imagine the H3 being the biggest vehicle in Hummer's lineup?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I rather doubt this is the last we'll see of the big Hummer. I think it would be hard to justify a high-end off-road brand with just two models, especially if they're medium and small in size. The next-gen H3 willprobably grow to the 900 chassis, and just become a more fuel efficient version of the H2.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Good riddance.

I hate this monstrosity less for environmental reasons than for reasons of good taste.

With this gone, what are guys with little-bitty hoo-hoo's supposed to buy?
The only people thinking about "little-bitty hoo-hoo's" are the Hummer haters. You don't like the H2, don't buy one.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
According to the article it is:

While we can think of a few reasons for the demise of the Hummer H2, one reason is greater than the rest -- CAFE. Up until recently, the H2 had been exempt from Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards due to it's gross vehicle weight rating. Vehicles above a 8,500 lb. GVW rating did not have to comply with CAFE. The H2's GVW came in at a convenient 8,600 lbs. Just hulking enough to miss the Federal fuel economy misers. However, with the new standards passed by Congress at the end of 2007, the H2 would fall under the CAFE umbrella by 2011. No official fuel economy number have ever been released on the H2, but most reviewers have observed an average somewhere between 12 MPG and 9 MPG. That means continued production of the H2 would've taken a huge, wet, 87-octane bite out of GM's CAFE pie that no number of Aveos sold could fill.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Oh what a shame, the H2 was truly something different, and it pisses off environmentalists.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I'm not a big fan of H2s, the few I've driven were beat up pretty badly, but it's ridiculous how much ignorance and hate there is for the thing. Just look at some of the post on the site.

·
Registered
44,903 Posts
Great.
The only cool vehicle at GM, that was able to drive the perception that GM wasn't completely hopeless at designing cool cars, is now dead.

Sure, we knew it was coming... but....

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Good riddance.

I hate this monstrosity less for environmental reasons than for reasons of good taste.

With this gone, what are guys with little-bitty hoo-hoo's supposed to buy?
The Camaro, of course.

I'm estatic this vehicle is being phased out. It's the wrong vehicle at the wrong time.

The whole Hummer range needs a revamp. The H3 is a mess of epic proportions. The H1 was the only thing keeping this brand interesting--and they killed it.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I know it is kind of an unneeded vehicle, but it is kind of sad. I want to see what it can do with the 4.5l diesel in it.
there are a lot of unneeded vehicles out there...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
People who require hard-core off road capabilities also don't need 7 passenger capability. With the clever use of diesel power, you can have smaller and more efficient off road monsters (or trucks that look like offroad monsters). I can envision them copying jeep with the 2 levels of 4wd one for rock crawling and one for navigating snowy roads.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.