GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC News
1 hour ago.

Jaguar Land Rover's Jaguar brand will be all-electric by 2025, the carmaker has said.

The company will launch electric models of its entire Jaguar and Land Rover line-up by 2030, it added.
The firm said it would keep all three of its three British plants open as part of its new strategy.

But it has dropped plans to build an electric version of its XJ saloon at the Castle Bromwich plant, meaning the site will eventually stop making cars.

Chief executive Thierry Bolloré said the plant would focus instead on "non-production" activities in the long term, without giving details.

The company plans to spend about £2.5bn a year on new technology for its cars.

This is a big move for Jaguar Land Rover, but the reality is it has little choice.

Like other manufacturers, it is under pressure to reduce the CO2 emissions from its fleet, as new regulations come into force in Europe and elsewhere. At the same time, sales of diesels - which generally produce less CO2 than petrol engines - have been plummeting.

And in the longer term, the UK government wants to outlaw the sale of all wholly petrol and diesel cars from 2030. Governments in other countries are moving in the same general direction.

The problem is, electric cars cost more to design and build than conventional models, meaning it is currently hard to make a profit from them. Bigger manufacturers can throw money at the problem now, and hope to benefit from economies of scale later.

JLR is a smaller company and can't do that - so instead it will re-emphasise Jaguar's credentials as a luxury brand when it goes all-electric.

That might make sense from a marketing point of view, but making the sums add up looks like a steep challenge.

It will also invest in hydrogen fuel technology. Despite operating through combustion, hydrogen burns to produce only water as a by-product.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the announcement was "a huge step for British car manufacturing".
Carmakers are under pressure to meet stringent carbon emission demands in Europe and China, as well as customer demand for high-performance electric cars with a luxury or performance feel.

The UK plans to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030.

Luxury car brand Bentley Motors, owned by Germany's Volkswagen, said in November its range will be fully electric by 2030, and last month General Motors said it aimed to have a zero tailpipe emission line-up by 2035.

LINK

At least Jaguar buyers have the extra cash to splash on more expensive EV's, will be able to sell thier on carbon credits to others, like Tesla have done in Europe they sold $2 billions worth of carbon credits to FCA Fiat/Chrysler that is cheaper than paying the $3.65 billion European Unions ICE C02 fines, a nice little earner for Tesla.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I wish this would lead to a "take 'em off our hands" firesale of those old, outdated, ICE F-Type relics. Sign me up.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
896 Posts
>"The problem is, electric cars cost more to design and build than conventional models, meaning it is currently hard to make a profit from them."<<
Huh. We've been told again & again that BEs are CHEAPER to design & build.

>"Bigger manufacturers can throw money at the problem now, and hope to benefit from economies of scale later."<<
Super dicey business case.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I can't see why they would cost more. they don't have a transmission, they are likely easier to make as either LHD or RHD. I wouldn't mind seeing a reasoning behind Jaguars comment.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
"And in the longer term, the UK government wants to outlaw the sale of all wholly petrol and diesel cars from 2030. Governments in other countries are moving in the same general direction."

Wait... so Cadillac does it and all hell breaks loose. Jag/RR does it... hmmmmm

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I can't see why they would cost more. they don't have a transmission, they are likely easier to make as either LHD or RHD. I wouldn't mind seeing a reasoning behind Jaguars comment.
I'm not even sure the comment is from Jaguar. Seems like a comment thrown in by the author of the article. In the price tiers JLR plays in, EV cost shouldn't be a problem (with reasonable volume).

Wonder what we should make of cancelling the planned XJ. It's a sad day if the XJ nameplate is sailing off into the sunset. IMO, one of the most elegant sedans of the past 50 or so years (especially in Series I/II/III form).

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
BEs are capable of having transmissions. The upcoming all EV Wrangler concept will have a transmission, probably the 8sp. But they are probably talking about The form vs function part of BE design. A Chevy Bolt might cost less to build than a BE of a form of a sedan.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I wonder if the fat lady is warming up for her big performance in regards to Jaguar. The XJ should've been pretty damn far along during development when the cancellation came down and the rest of the brand can't possibly be that healthy...XE, XF, etc. With RR occupying damn near every SUV category, what is the purpose of a car-less Jaguar?

·
Registered
20,210 Posts
They have a good looking Jaguar crossover now, not for cars. Now buggy electrical systems will plague the whole car
Apparently Jag is not going to have SUV's, seem odd.

"And in the longer term, the UK government wants to outlaw the sale of all wholly petrol and diesel cars from 2030. Governments in other countries are moving in the same general direction."

Wait... so Cadillac does it and all hell breaks loose. Jag/RR does it... hmmmmm
The difference is; LR/Jag won't lose many sales?

I wonder if the fat lady is warming up for her big performance in regards to Jaguar. The XJ should've been pretty damn far along during development when the cancellation came down and the rest of the brand can't possibly be that healthy...XE, XF, etc. With RR occupying damn near every SUV category, what is the purpose of a car-less Jaguar?
What the purpose of a car-filled Jaguar?

From the Automotive News article: "To differentiate the brands further, Jaguar will move away from SUV-style vehicles while Land Rover will continue to focus on SUVs with its Range Rover, Discovery and Defender model families, Bollore said"

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Apparently Jag is not going to have SUV's, seem odd.

The difference is; LR/Jag won't lose many sales?

From the Automotive News article: "To differentiate the brands further, Jaguar will move away from SUV-style vehicles while Land Rover will continue to focus on SUVs with its Range Rover, Discovery and Defender model families, Bollore said"
Didn't they just kill the XE? and now the XJ? how many iPaces do they plan on selling? To me it looks like they're starving it of product to justify it's death.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
It was marketing when Cadillac announced 2035 and it’s marketing with Jaguar. Anyone who follows the industry a tiny bit knows the entire industry is headed in that direction so announcing your proposed timeline is a bit ridiculous.

Give props to Cadillac for seizing the marketing opportunity but it’s too late for everyone else to try and pull the same stunt. It won’t keep them from doing it though we all know that for sure.

·
Premium Member
33,258 Posts
It was marketing when Cadillac announced 2035 and it’s marketing with Jaguar. Anyone who follows the industry a tiny bit knows the entire industry is headed in that direction so announcing your proposed timeline is a bit ridiculous.

Give props to Cadillac for seizing the marketing opportunity but it’s too late for everyone else to try and pull the same stunt. It won’t keep them from doing it though we all know that for sure.
Jaguar is heading to death with Land Rover, the Defender as is was a huge mistake , they should have built a BOF

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
my guess is they are referring to designing the first car not EVERY subsequent car as they will NEED to design a NEW EV drive system AND new CHASSIS AND battery system ETC
most "new" cars borrow a LOT of parts / engineering from the car they are replacing but to go EV you NEED all NEW

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

CUV is not the same as SUV for the marketing types. It's possible what they mean is that LR will focus on off-road capable SUVs while Jaguar focuses on performance-oriented CUVs.

Or, as sdotjeezy said, perhaps the J in JLR will keep getting smaller and smaller until it disappears. When Ford was selling JLR, apparently no one wanted J without LR. So perhaps they still don't see much value in the J part of JLR.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
CUV is not the same as SUV for the marketing types. It's possible what they mean is that LR will focus on off-road capable SUVs while Jaguar focuses on performance-oriented CUVs.

Or, as sdotjeezy said, perhaps the J in JLR will keep getting smaller and smaller until it disappears. When Ford was selling JLR, apparently no one wanted J without LR. So perhaps they still don't see much value in the J part of JLR.
The catch in that quote is "move away from" meaning they're doing it and are going to discontinue. Problem with that is that all of their SUV like offerings are CUVs, which should bring us to the conclusion that they're not doing CUVs going forward.

This isn't much a problem because LR does offer Evoque and Velar to cover the CUVs for JLR.

Reactions: emh

·
Registered
43,799 Posts
Wonder what we should make of cancelling the planned XJ. It's a sad day if the XJ nameplate is sailing off into the sunset. IMO, one of the most elegant sedans of the past 50 or so years (especially in Series I/II/III form).
I wouldn't worry about the XJ. The flagship market is difficult.
This was pseudo-announced last year by the president of Jaguar anyways. It is a little disappointing, to say the least.

They already have a BEV XJ mule trolling around too. But it's a cost decision.

But here's the thing. It's on the same BEV platform as the coming BEV Range Rover.
So, the way I see things, Jaguar could actually announce a "J-Pace" flagship instead. This would make most sense to me, as JLR already has the Velar/F-Pace. Why not Range Rover/J-Pace?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts