GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J.D. Power Report: 54% Of Car Buyers "Won't even consider driving a domestic marque".

Source: Wall Street Journal; 06-03-08 - Page C1

Article quote:

"But a dramatic turnaround won't happen unless GM can presuade owners of import vehicles to buy its cars again. Drivers these days don't show much allegiance to Detroit.

Even with dealers doling out cash rebates, warranties and other incentives, some 54% of car buyers won't even consider driving a domestic marque, according to J.D. Power & Associates.

GM seems to be playing catch-up to Honda and Toyota in the loyalty race. Only 3% of GM vehicles sold through its dealerships go to customers trading in a Honda or Toyota.

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: J.D. Power Report: 54% Of Car Buyers "Won't even consider driving a domestic marq

Even with dealers doling out cash rebates, warranties and other incentives, some 54% of car buyers won't even consider driving a domestic marque, according to J.D. Power & Associates.
That figure of 54% seems quite high to me, but if it is true, God help GM, Ford and Chrysler.

More conquest incentives targeted at import owners may be a potential solution.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Re: J.D. Power Report: 54% Of Car Buyers "Won't even consider driving a domestic marq

I work with someone who has made it quite clear he would never buy anything from GM/Ford/Chrysler. In fact, he doesn't even want something built in the US regardless of brand.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

Every time I hear a report that GM quality and reliability is "improving" or is now on par with Toyota and Honda, it just validates that GM did NOT have good quality and reliability - something many of its customers already knew and won't forget.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts

I agree the 54% seems quite high. Isn't that about the market share of the imports? So 100% of the import buyers would ONLY consider an import? Seems unlikely.

It is a real problem regardless. GM and the other domestics need to make world class cars with class leading quality (and GM still has some duds) and then after a decade of that they will start to turn things around. It will take time. They also need to attract the younger generation which they've done poorly. They need class leading desirable inexpensive entry level cars which hopefully are coming.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

You have to wonder what the demographics are of the participants in this survey.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

You got to be kidding me. Who could be THAT biased again the domestic brands? What happened to these people that would make them think like that? Did they own a 1975 Chevrolet that burst into flames while driving down the street, had paint that washed off in the rain, came new with 2 flat tires, hit on their wife when they weren't looking, drink their beer while they were asleep, or something else? What could be so bad that 54% won't even consider a domestic brand?

·
Registered
962 Posts

Does anyone have any pride whatsoever in their own country? And before someone responds with the usual well GM, Ford did it to themselves BS---I am not speaking about that. I am speaking about the fact that many people who live in this country just don't seem to have much national pride and that's a really sad thing to see. It doesn't lead to a strong economy and we all know which way the economy is going.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I'm sure that at least 40% of people surveyed wouldn't consider an import, and at least 60% would consider both, while 70% wouldn't consider either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

You got to be kidding me. Who could be THAT biased again the domestic brands? What happened to these people that would make them think like that? Did they own a 1975 Chevrolet that burst into flames while driving down the street, had paint that washed off in the rain, came new with 2 flat tires, hit on their wife when they weren't looking, drink their beer while they were asleep, or something else? What could be so bad that 54% won't even consider a domestic brand?

I nominate Crazy's rant above as "Quote Of The Month"

·
Registered
4,569 Posts

this isnt surprising and now we will see a few dozen posts about how the domestics "did it to themselves" or how they need to "improve their quality", etc. It doesnt matter what they do to a large extent. The media and many Americans are automatically biased against American car brands. Whether they have justification or not, they believe anything engineered in Germany or Japan is superior to something engineered in the Us. Most people that claim they dont buy American because of quality havent owned a domestic car in 15 or 20 years so they have no clue about domestic quality. Most who say its about gas mileage cant even tell you the mileage on any domestic car or how it compares to their favorite import. Imports can do no wrong in the US market and the domestics can do no right. People wont even buy a "domestic" thats made in Germany like the Astra simply because Saturn is an American brand. If the Astra was a Honda it would be flying off lots. FOr many people a car is a fashion statement and its not fashionable to own a domestic car regardless of quality, styling or performance. Those who insist there are legitimate reasons for all of the hatred of American car brands are delusional. Stop trying to act like everything can be rationalized.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Then 54% of americans are going to miss out on some great product. I bought a hyundai in 2006 and it was a complete POS (it was bought new), I now have a Ford and absolutely love it, not a single problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts

Demographics is the key. GM needs to win over the growing hispanic population. At this point, they have no reason for domestic brand loyalty.
Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are building what they want, domestics are not.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts

I'd understand not wanting one unless you were getting a truck.

Even today...GM has canceled the RWD Impala, Buick, and are allowing their mid sized trucks and SUVs to go way too long without an update. They just are not serious about making good cars.

It's not just the crappy quality of the past...it's the bland and crummy designs of the present and the lack of marketing.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

I'm sure that at least 40% of people surveyed wouldn't consider an import, and at least 60% would consider both, while 70% wouldn't consider either. :rolleyes:
72% of statistics are made up on the spot. :eek:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

The usual scenario is represented as, their 1975 GM was junk, and their 2000 model import has been perfect. Thus the conclusion based on cars produced years or car life cycles apart. Then there's the schleps that believe anything they hear. Once they latch onto the domestics are junk and imports are gold mantra, there's no getting them back.

In sub categories of such I also see the "I love my imports, they never break down", and trades cars every 3 years.

Or the import with an issue, out of warranty, and they don't fix it cause it's expensive to fix. One guy here at work has a 2004 4 Runner. The sun roof has some sort of issue as it sounds like plastic clips, latches, or tracks have become loose between the head liner and B pillar. Absolutely annoying to ride in with the rattling right above your head. Reason for not fixing was the quote of $600 to repair.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts

Demographics is the key. GM needs to win over the growing hispanic population. At this point, they have no reason for domestic brand loyalty.
Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are building what they want, domestics are not.
Just a thought.
True. They quit building 64 Chevys in 64.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts

Consider who the Big 3 have woo'd over the last 20 yrs, successfully. It's the truck buyers and buyers of big SUVs. All three have made fantastic trucks/SUVs...but...that's only what percentage of the total vehicle market?
After these excellent large vehicles, until recently, there was the Taurus, Sebring, Cavalier as options then a few isolated icons like the Corvette, Mustang, and Jeep.

The bulk of the US buying population buys 4 door sedans, large, midsized and compact.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

I think if the domestic makes started targeting a younger demographic and just write off everyone that is between the age of 40 to 60 they will be okay in a few years. The 40 to 60 age group are the ones that bought the '75 model clunkers and totally disregard domestic makes now. I have a feeling your younger buyers wouldn't be as biased against domestics if they have some exciting models aimed at them (no Scions or Honda Elements).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

I work with someone who has made it quite clear he would never buy anything from GM/Ford/Chrysler. In fact, he doesn't even want something built in the US regardless of brand.
I can only hope that other American's return the same non consideration to the products or services this guy produces for his job and well being. Such harsh stances with no consideration, understanding, caring for others, or pride in country is becoming the downfall of this country. If it isn't I, me, my, people want nothing to do with it. Isn't this great what we've done to our country......

1 - 20 of 124 Posts