GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Why don't you have a sense of humor?
- Maybe try changing the characters and you will think it's funny?.....

Pretend Mark Reuss said the S-10 has a higher cargo capacity than the "All New 2023 Ram 3500" (and it be true)
Obfuscation is your escape hatch. Your reply makes "shortcomings" the defacto source of hilarity, but I'll bite.

While I certainly lack the capacity to "zing" like you, you must admit I occasionally make attempts at humor. Remember this classic?

Sure the Lightning can carry nearly 1,000 pounds more in its bed than the Silverado EV but what good is that extra payload if, en route, it's found on the roadside with a dead battery?
Get it? It spells "FORD" meaning even EV Ford's will still be found on the roadside dead. But you ignored my joke. My disappointment was in myself, though, because I know your sense of humor is not partisan.

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Get it? It spells "FORD" meaning even EV Ford's will still be found on the roadside dead. But you ignored my joke. My disappointment was in myself, though, because I know your sense of humor is not partisan.
Have you heard, Ford is developing a removable Gen set that can be used as a range extender in Lightning. California ZEV states are annoyed but there’s nothing they can do about it as it’s a removable part of the vehicle but then I’m not sure if it’s affected by the future ICE Gen set ban though……

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Have you heard, Ford is developing a removable Gen set that can be used as a range extender in Lightning. California ZEV states are annoyed but there’s nothing they can do about it as it’s a removable part of the vehicle but then I’m not sure if it’s affected by the future ICE Gen set ban though……
That's creative but it's a shame it's come to that, especially when something like Voltec was around more than a decade ago only to be forsaken by industry and government. What the Lightning needs is a better battery system and an EV-dedicated platform to handle it, à la Ultium; I understand Ford is working on it.

·
Banned
22,466 Posts
Obfuscation is your escape hatch. Your reply makes "shortcomings" the defacto source of hilarity, but I'll bite.

While I certainly lack the capacity to "zing" like you, you must admit I occasionally make attempts at humor. Remember this classic?

Range is known and fixable, you know how much you have at the start, and you can "refuel" albeit more often than other vehicles, especially a F150 with a 36 gallon tank, but you can charge, before, during and after hauling a load, at least you can, welp you-know, haul the load..........

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
As we see more Lightnings out on the road, the feedback from actual owner experiences is going to be interesting. A lot of the perceived problems with range may not be the case with owners who know and understand the range that’s available when either hauling or towing, Ford has that great charge monitoring system that senses weight and load, then calculates range left to empty.

Let’s face it, a lot of crew cab pickups are used as nothing more than big cars that do the occasional tow or carry smallish loads in the back. For those people, Lightning will be totally capable but people may have higher expectations and that’s up to them to decide whether the Lightning is for them or go one more time with a gasoline or hybrid truck.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
As we see more Lightnings out on the road, the feedback from actual owner experiences is going to be interesting. A lot of the perceived problems with range may not be the case with owners who know and understand the range that’s available when either hauling or towing, Ford has that great charge monitoring system that senses weight and load, then calculates range left to empty.

Let’s face it, a lot of crew cab pickups are used as nothing more than big cars that do the occasional tow or carry smallish loads in the back. For those people, Lightning will be totally capable but people may have higher expectations and that’s up to them to decide whether the Lightning is for them or go one more time with a gasoline or hybrid truck.
I expect 2 distinct "classes" of buyers for ANY "full size" electric pickup
A "large sedan" buyers going EV basically commuter cars with the occasional far below payload limit "truck" usage - empty range is tops and payload second
B fleets "wanting to be green" / save cash low spec fleet orders with lower mileage usage IE drive to job site and park drive home OR pickup and delivery operations
with the "hard core" truck users being GAS hold outs and the ones MOST effected by range AND payload limits

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
I expect 2 distinct "classes" of buyers for ANY "full size" electric pickup
A "large sedan" buyers going EV basically commuter cars with the occasional far below payload limit "truck" usage - empty range is tops and payload second
B fleets "wanting to be green" / save cash low spec fleet orders with lower mileage usage IE drive to job site and park drive home OR pickup and delivery operations
with the "hard core" truck users being GAS hold outs and the ones MOST effected by range AND payload limits
The surprising part of Lightning reservations and now orders is how many non-F150 buyers Ford is pulling in, around 70% or so which is wild considering the boost to orders that brings. Way more than the Ford brass ever expected.

Im hearing that there’s strong interest from fleet buyers but we’ll see how Ford prioritises those builds afte we get through slow and stead 2022 whee only about 15,000 builds or so are planned.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts