GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
1,497 Posts
The minor advantages of one over the other aren't too important at this time in my opinion. They should be racing to get them produced with quality. Also, I think there is a competitive advantage to be had if these automakers invest in superchargers. Wouldn't it be nice to have Cadillac branded superchargers EVERYWHERE? Talk about improving ownership experience.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
The Cybertruck is the real competition. If you can really get a tri motor Cybertruck for $69K it's all over but the crying for GM and Ford.
I think that would be laughing. The Cybertruck is a joke. There are just SO many things wrong with it. 30 motors couldn't save it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I totally disagree, the Cybertruck is cool AF.
Yet, it remains vaporware. Wasn't it supposed to be out 2 years ago starting at 40k?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Banned
22,466 Posts
Sure the Lightning can carry nearly 1,000 pounds more in its bed than the Silverado EV but what good is that extra payload if, en route, it's found on the roadside with a dead battery?
Pros and Cons with everything...........

Truck stuff trick: the midgate. With the midgate open, and the optional configurable tailgate extended, that length increases to 10ft 10in. I think that's attractive to contractors and the general public alike, especially given the single crew cab config offered.
So its great for long things that don't weigh a lot, how many people buy a truck to haul 20' pool noodles?

·
Registered
195 Posts
So its great for long things that don't weigh a lot, how many people buy a truck to haul 20' pool noodles?
Gross over exaggeration. And as I mentioned earlier, the numbers will be more competitive when the shorter range options are offered. I think the flexibility is key. Throw your kayaks in the bed and avoid having to sling them up on racks. It's a cool option IMO with plenty of conceivable use cases. You've got to try and stand out from the pack.

·
Super Moderator
21,767 Posts
I totally disagree, the Cybertruck is cool AF.
I think the Cybertruck is interesting, the styling is more "out there" than my tastes, but I still am interested in it. My thought is that the Cybertruck will attract a different crowd than the typical Detroit truck customer. One thing I like about Tesla is that, from what I've seen, they take more customers from Japanese brands than Detroit. I think the Cybertruck, due to its distinctive style, will very much continue with taking a bite out of foreign make sales - that's a good thing and something both Ford and GM struggle with.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Folk don't constantly run out gasoline, l don't think they will run electric cars till the battery is dead either to be honest, in the same way drivers don't go round fully loaded up to the max every day.

Average American drives 14,263 miles a year that's just 39 miles a day, both electric trucks have the ability or go all week on those numbers between charges.

Personally l would want a truck that can carry more load, with a longer range, that has the best of both of these two trucks.

If you had to choose between one or the other what has the best functionality attribute. l would go for better payload capability is more useful, the lightning will always be able to stop charge up with the extra payload, l would maybe do long trips maybe twice a year, long range is not that important to me, can be fixed with a nice halfway welcome rest at a services, and a cup off coffee whilst the truck is charging up on quick charge for 40 minutes then off you go again with a full load again, the Silverado will never match the Lightning payload capability.

Saying that though the Silverado 400 mile range is pretty impressive that would get me to the top of Scotland in one stop, drive any further North you would end up in the North Sea. 99% of people normally fly and hire a car for that long trip to Scotland in the UK, l don't know a single builder or farmer that does 400 mile trips every day you would be driving all day, arrive tired out with no time left to do any work.
I'm not sure if you intentionally or unwittingly reiterated my point multiple times over (see red text above). I described two distinct sets of people (full-size truck buyers and EV buyers) with traditionally divergent needs being integrated with a new type of product category: the full-size EV truck. I hypothesized that, until that category goes mainstream and the needs of those two people groups converge, it appears GM and Ford each designed their EV trucks to best appeal to specific consumers.

Traditional EV buyers open to a truck will probably rarely, if ever, use the maximum payload rating of either truck but rather prioritize range and non-traditional styling (their typical bragging points); whereas traditional truck buyers open to an EV would probably prioritize common truck attributes, such as max payload and traditional styling (their typical bragging points). GM and Ford each believe they have a winning formula for a full-size EV truck despite stark differences. I'm saying perhaps the subject isn't as uni-dimensional as some would imply and the two companies are instead expecting and targeting different audiences for round one of the battle.

Oh, one more thing, range isn't just a metric of how far you can drive in one sitting but also how frequently you are anchored to a cable (it seems you are assuming a full charge every night). Put another way, sure most people don't drive 400+ miles per day but, using your 39 mi./day estimate, Silverado EV owners wouldn't have to use a plug but once every ~10 days. So, keep in mind, your priorities aren't necessarily other peoples' priorities.

Pros and Cons with everything...........
Yup, that was my point, and that maybe some of those trade-offs are intentional as opposed to what are presented as "hilarious" shortcomings.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Didn't a bunch of people on here rag on the RAM when it switched to IRS and its payload went down? IDC, I'd only tow a boat to the lake and back with it and it'd be a commuter vehicle the rest of the time.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,231 Posts
head start on the industrial heft needed for large-scale EV production. It may be wishful thinking, but GM already has Bolt EUV, Bolt EV and HUMMER EV Truck on Market.
Next year they launch a slew of other EV's including, Chevrolet Equinox, HUMMER SUV, Blazer, Lyriq, and who knows what else.
Say what you may, Mary Barrah has this very well thought out. Ford was wasting time with Bronco while GM was totally preparing for war with Tesla. Ford is fighting old fights.
Just wait until next year part #....... and on it goes. Like I said somewhere else "I'm from Missouri, Show Me". I guess we wait and see. Although what they've shown as upcoming does look promising, the wait is excruciating IMO. :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts