GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
Mr. Farley, who races vintage cars including a 1965 Ford Cobra, returned that year to Dearborn to run Ford’s global markets. He was irritated, he said, to discover that Ford had a fully electric vehicle under development without his knowledge and thought the prototype design was dull. “It looks like a Prius. That’s a joke,” Mr. Farley recalled saying when he saw the EV prototype. “What are we doing?”
The team began to redesign the vehicle—later named the Mustang Mach-E—which delayed it by several months.
This is interesting - I think a wise decision on Mr. Farley's choice to not go with a Prius looking vehicle. I bet if they came out with something like that it would be selling little better than the Bolt.

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
This is only because GM opted for more range and thus a bigger battery and a heavier vehicle. I think the Silverado will be competitive once the range/battery is dialed back depending on the customer requirements and use case in mind. Even the Lightning with the extended range battery hauls less than the standard range model.
I hadn't thought about it in those terms - that'll be a real choice to make for pickup buyers - range or payload. I wonder what the split will be? I'd think more people will opt for range as their payload needs are modest, but certainly a large amount of people that haul a lot. Though there are HD versions coming for those who want no compromise.

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
And COST. The real test willl be when there are comparable range models and what they cost to drive off the Dealership lot..... Real People have real budgets, and with inflation/interest rates going up, that will affect sales moving forward and how much (if any) manufacturers eat finance costs to make these expensive trucks affordable.
Good point on that too! I'll have to then go with lower range and higher payload will rule the roost as most people don't drive all that far.

I think for most people that the lower range does make sense. Seems like a lot of people buy a truck with their "once a year worst case" scenario in mind and then tote around all that extra capability (with gas cost) for the rest of the year - probably cheaper to get a less capable truck and rent for that once a year usage.

·
Registered
21,452 Posts
I totally disagree, the Cybertruck is cool AF.
I think the Cybertruck is interesting, the styling is more "out there" than my tastes, but I still am interested in it. My thought is that the Cybertruck will attract a different crowd than the typical Detroit truck customer. One thing I like about Tesla is that, from what I've seen, they take more customers from Japanese brands than Detroit. I think the Cybertruck, due to its distinctive style, will very much continue with taking a bite out of foreign make sales - that's a good thing and something both Ford and GM struggle with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts