Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April production numbers are in.

Only 650 deliveries.

That's down from 719 last month.

Total so far : 2451

<personal opinion follows>

There is NO WAY they will come anywhere close to 18,000 this year.

Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to GM. We'll have to wait until 2006 to see how they address the styling issues. (I'm not just talking about hood scoops.) The other issue (again, my opinion) is price.

I would expect we will start to see rebates on the GTO in the very near future. Wouldn't surprise me if we have $3k-$4k off by October.

So, I guess the sales numbers are bad news, but if you are looking to buy one this summer then I guess you could say it is good news.

Steve

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Presonally, I liked the body, but I thought the price was a little steep. From what I've read, a lot of people didn't like the body, and that's ok. they are allowed to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think a bigger problem that few have mentioned is the overcharging that some dealerships impose on this vehicle. I think that hurt it more than they realize. Example: I went to a local place here and they wanted $5000 over MSRP. I say this is an issue because part of the appeal of the car is corvette power at just over $32k, but at $38k it's much more to think about. I could be wrong, but that's my thought on it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have seen only one GTO on the street (my neighbors)! So, the low numbers must be correct.
If there is price gouging, it won't last since the people are shunning the car. Does GM have any say-so in this matter? Do the dealers have too much security (kick backs and assurances from GM) that they can have these vehicles sitting on their lots? Like bread, cars that sit on lots start to become stale.
What will GM do? Start a rebate program on what was supposed to be a hot seller? The marketing people must be really scrambling for ideas.
As far as a car with the vette's drive train, I'd buy a vette (used one for the same price) then.

Will this be a lesson for GM? Will they re-badge another Holden and call it a Chevelle? If so, it'll be the same story replayed in 2006 or whatever. And the Mustang will be selling strongly-the marketing for the 2005 has begun and will increase in amplitude as its debut approaches. This will divert the public's attention from the GTO much further.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
wonder if this will hurt the chance future RWD GM's. granted the GTO could never sell in the numbers a RWD impala would, but if GM uses the GTO as a blanket example it might scare them off of another camaro or RWD monte carlo. maybe not... but we can't say GM is always wise when it comes to interpreting what the customer wants!

·
Registered
520 Posts
There are only two Pontiac dealerships in Baton Rouge. One dealership has two red GTO's, the other has two red GTO's and a silver one. Another dealership just down the road has a black one. From what I've been told no one is asking over sticker (anymore). The first GTO I saw here was yellow and the dealer was asking an amazing $6,500 over MSRP! They did sell it pretty quick. Poor sucker! I like the new GTO personally, but from the dealer inventories there's not many people that do.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A black GTO has been sitting and sitting and sitting over @ a lot near my house in S.Jersey 4ever now. I thought someone finally bought it a couple weeks back,but alas it has returned and brought a yellow one with it. :( O well.....

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Aside from the likes or dislikes about the car that one has, I am very curious regarding GM's control of sales and their dealerships.
Surely, if GM wants this car on the street to get exposure, they must stop gouging by dealerships. $6,000 over sticker and would turn away anybody from the car- especially since the public knows that rebates are a fact of life nowadays.
I would think that GM contols the amount of popular vehicles to a dealership. If necessary, they can turn off the spigot on these cars to unruly dealers.
You fellows that work for dealerships should be able to shed some light on this situation.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
oh boy, I hate dealers...
I imagine that if anyone comes and ask for a test drive they will laugh at him, like they did with the 4th gen...
one conclusion: they ruined in part the sales of the 4th gen, they will do this again even more!
they are fit probably to sell aveo's, but a car like the gto is ANOTHER WHOLE STORY!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Why do I get this distict feeling that the GTO will be discontinued, just like the F-bodys and GM will only have the Corvette as its only performance car

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by mceb+May 6 2004, 09:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mceb @ May 6 2004, 09:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chadbarb99@May 6 2004, 08:55 AM
GM will only have the Corvette as its only performance car
GM has Solstice coming out next year which has a good buzz. [/b][/quote]
The Solstice is hardly a performance car. It is meant to compete against the Miata (but much better looking IMO), so performance? Probably not. A fun sports car? Hell yea!

·
Registered
556 Posts
The GTO is here to stay. It's Pontiac's halo car. The GTO is a niche car, like the SSR and the Cadillac XLR. They are not required to sell 10000 a month.

FWIW: The 05 gets the LS2 and hood scoops and other major body style changes. I will be posting HP levels on the LS2 when I get them from my source. I will not reveal the source, but he/she is very reliable and works in the industry closely with the GTO.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Wasn't the Firebird Pontiac's halo car?? It did not stick around. I've owned GM products for years and would like to have a RWD performance car in the future and really do not want a Mustang, can't get into the retro thing that much. Who knows maybe people are waiting for the 05 GTO. But the reason why I'm so concerned about the GTO's future, I mean look at Mercury's Merauder, been out for only a year or so and since no one is buying them they are pulling the plug and don't want the same to happen to my beloved GTO.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
2451 cars in 4 months is terrible.
I'll bet that 18,000 car number is a minimum that GM can live with. Meaning GM did not want to have egg on their face by forecasting 10's of thousands of sales and not meeting it and, simultaneously if they sold all the GTO's for 2004, the car would be taken to be more elitist. You know, the "wait in line to get one marketing ploy".
I have seen many more Marauders on the road than GTO's.

If the public is waiting for any car in 2005, it is the new Mustang. The hype is there and the price (about $25,000) is going to be like Baby Bear's porridge- just right.

Other members have correctly noted that the 20-30 year olds are into the SUV's. I didn't realize it myself until I started looking around the neighborhood. The younger guys are driving aggressive looking SUV's. Couple this with the fact that the new GTO turned off my generation (Very important since the baby boomers are the ones with more disposable income to buy the car) and you have the current situation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most of the people I have talked with envisioned the return of the GTO would be with a car that would have gorgeous lines that would make you say "WOW! I want one" (not necessarily retro), kicka$$ performance (low 13s) and be affordable.
What we got is a car that is so-so in the looks department ( even Pontiac knows this because they were talking about changes before the car was even on the lots), rather disappointing performance (a 300C with a Hemi and weighing 400 lbs more than the GTO will turn numbers similar to an A4 GTO) and at over $33,000 it is out if the range of a lot of people that want one....Where is the marketing? While I was recovering from a back injury I watched a lot of TV. I saw commercials for the SRX, XLR, the Malibu, SSR, and the Equinox, the Vibe, and the new Mustang over and over. I saw only 2 commercials for the GTO...I have driven the new GTO and it is a fun car and I wouldn't mind having one to go with my '68....I really hope they sell more cars because I want the GTO to be around for a long time. I just wish it had been right from the get-go, and that Pontiac was better at marketing the car. While this current GTO isn't a bad car I just think in it's current form (looks, performance and price) it doesn't have the appeal that they thought it would.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by lakota@May 7 2004, 01:35 PM
Most of the people I have talked with envisioned the return of the GTO would be with a car that would have gorgeous lines that would make you say "WOW! I want one" (not necessarily retro), kicka$$ performance (low 13s) and be affordable.
i guess of looks, performance, and price, at least one has to be a knock-out in this class. a sports car needs at least 1 bragging point, and a good name isn't enough. i've never driven the car and i think that'd i'd love it (i already love the looks), so i'm talking out of my a$$ here. but i do think the GTO might be forgiven for more sedate looks if it was the performnce value of the century... or it might get away with being less than quickest if it was outright gorgeous. or the current version might sell like crazy if it was more affordable for a younger crew. they'll have to address 1 (hopefully all) of these things with the next version.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by hpmartin@May 5 2004, 04:36 PM
I think a bigger problem that few have mentioned is the overcharging that some dealerships impose on this vehicle. I think that hurt it more than they realize. Example: I went to a local place here and they wanted $5000 over MSRP. I say this is an issue because part of the appeal of the car is corvette power at just over $32k, but at $38k it's much more to think about. I could be wrong, but that's my thought on it.
What a load of crap. Every arguement has some yahoo saying they over price and that is why... Buddy they are on sale for under 30k in Sterling Heights Michigan. Look around.

Maybe at the dealership you drive by they have them listed at over 33k but believe me, they will go lower.

But, I am sure they are selling Great in Australia.

:lol:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I could be wrong but I read a long time ago that Pontiac was suppose to sell 18000 over 3 years but then I guess they could have meant 18000 per year for three years. Does anyone have an answer off the top of their head? I think it was the former.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts