GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I really hope this does well, I'm so tired of seeing civics, and girlie corollas where GM should be on the road.

Hopefully good reviews will get people out of their Hs and Ts and in the driver's seat behind the bow tie.

But, I'm not expecting good reviews from C/D and Autoweek... lets just say we don't see eye-to-eye on products.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the new 2005 Mustang and most of the imports, but the Import and Mustang scene is WAYYYYYYYYY overplayed.

I'm getting sick of it......putting an exhaust on a car with a 110-130 hp doesn't make you 'cool' or whatever they're trying to achieve. And please......just please.....stop trying to stare me down with your 'mean face' when your Civic DX just plain SUCKS. Last time I checked Altezza lights don't make you fast.

Mustangs......I get tired when people think "their" Mustang is the best when the only mod they've done to it is add a "KoRn" or "Beastie Boys" sticker.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Has anyone seen the new C&D yet? They have a preview of the Cobalt. The title of the article is "GM tries to convince us that 'it's different this time.'" The title alone gives you a good idea of what they think of GM products (in case you didn't know).

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Another positive ray of hope:

GM is actually redo-ing the 2005 Saturn Ion, and addressing almost all of the issues I mentioned in the original post, except the center speedo.

GM's reactions to the critics so far on critical vehicles have been great - The CTS was improved after only a year, and now the ION.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
thehemi: that is unfortunate because they have a very favorable review. They said that the BeanCounters couldn't get close to the Cobalt, Lutz wouldn't let them, so there will be high grade materials, and they said that the interior is Lexus-eque in design and excecution. And the Aisin transmission shouldn't be "poop" it is going into the Solstice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Read the poll results... says it all man!!

I also said that even if this car is the best out of the GM toy box, NO ONE will give it any sort of credit or praise....

I mean in all honesty, I'd bet my life that if you send the Cobalt to C&D or SCC or any of those magazines *with a Honda or Toyota babdge* it would be reveered as the next big thing since sliced bread...

I have test driven many of the Sport compacts out... I drive my friends SE-R Spec V maybe twice a month (Designated Driver duty)...
And beleive me, they are not all that impressive!! The Sentra's exhaust sounds like a cat growling.. (if you can get the visual, er audio??)

GM can only do so much, they can not jump into people's minds and say "it's not true, test drive one"... but they can run an add doing just that...

Anyone seen that Pontiac GP commercial where it lists all the cars it out-accelerated... plus all the other perks.... That commercial sold me!!

You can't argue with facts!!

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jun 8 2004, 03:32 PM
Lexus interior= boring and flat. I hope it's not totally devoid of character like a Lexus.
What would you rather have for $16,000?

This:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS
or This:

2004 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
The Cobalt's interior also racks up favorably compared to the Honda Civic (with its blobular dash):

2004 Honda Civic EX
And just by looking at the Cobalt against the boring Corolla, you know it will win praise there:

2004 Toyota Corolla S

·
Registered
524 Posts
Interior is not a big selling point for me, and I never really had a problem with GM's interiors but the new Cobalt seems pretty good. At least they are staying away from the small button mess that most Foreign cars have. To me GM's radios have always been 1000% easier to operate than most cars and lighyears ahead of aftermarket systems. GM's three lever HVAC controls always made sense to me as well.

I can't tell from the picture, does the Cobalt have a right hand lever? That is a huge pet peeve of mine. If a car has one, it might break the sale for me. I'll take the GM multilever anyday.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Jun 9 2004, 02:31 PM
Interior is not a big selling point for me, and I never really had a problem with GM's interiors but the new Cobalt seems pretty good. At least they are staying away from the small button mess that most Foreign cars have. To me GM's radios have always been 1000% easier to operate than most cars and lighyears ahead of aftermarket systems. GM's three lever HVAC controls always made sense to me as well.

I can't tell from the picture, does the Cobalt have a right hand lever? That is a huge pet peeve of mine. If a car has one, it might break the sale for me. I'll take the GM multilever anyday.
I know what you mean about the levers. That's one of the first things a friend of mine looks for when he gets into a car, whether or not it has a right hand lever for wipers. He's got to have one.

As for me, I'm afraid I never did the "hands at 10 and 2" thing except in drivers ed, and so having the wipers on a stalk on the right side of the wheel is more inconvenient. I don't like the cruise control on the right side of the steering wheel either for the same reason.

I never had any trouble working all the functions of the left-hand multi-function stalk, and 9 tiimes out of ten, that's where my hand is on the wheel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Why does he like it? Is there a reason or is it something he's just used to?

For me, I keep trying to use it to shift. It's very easy to bump when moving my hand from the wheel to the radio, shifter, ect. I usually steer with my left hand. I like being able to tun and shift at the same time. :rolleyes:

I can't think of a reason for it being there at all.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Jun 9 2004, 05:38 PM
Why does he like it? Is there a reason or is it something he's just used to?

For me, I keep trying to use it to shift. It's very easy to bump when moving my hand from the wheel to the radio, shifter, ect. I usually steer with my left hand. I like being able to tun and shift at the same time. :rolleyes:

I can't think of a reason for it being there at all.
I guess for him having the functions separated is less confusing, and he's less likely to hit the cruise when he's turning on the wipers or whatever. He drove foriegn cars for quite a few years (a couple of Accords and a 626GT), so he's used to them. He's got an Intrigue and a new Accord V6 6-speed coupe right now.

What bugs me is that they are different. In my Intrigue, you pull the lever down to turn on the wipers. In my wife's Vibe, you push up. And if I've been driving the Suburban and get into either one of them, I try to shift it like you do. :)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The Cobalts interior looks very upscale. I think between the Corolla and the Cobalt SS interior, it could come down to a coin toss. The chrome bezzles around the guages look very high end too. I would have to get a Cobalt SS coupe with the brushed metal and black/grey interior, colored in that fire engine red! :D

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
definitely a personal preference when it comes to switchgear. i like left stalk lights and signals, right stalk wipers, and the small lever on the bottom right of the steering column for cruise (below the right stalk). though i'd be willing to adapt... wouldn't break a deal for me. guess i haven't driven enough column shifters... i think it'd be funny to try and throw your car into gear and end up with your wipers on!

i'll assume the woodgrain inserts are optional on the cavalier. i almost never like wood, on anything. it does add an upscale look, but not the kinda upscale i like. looks more glitzy than classy to me.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Well I guess some people will be dissapointed, the Cobalt's wiper functions are on the right stalk:

WARNING: EXTREMELY LARGE IMAGE!

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I like the Cobalt's interior very well. Its very classy and everything is positioned great!

o/t: I wish all GM vehicles would get cuirse control on the STEERING WHEEL, not on that right stalk! Thank you GM for finally getting on some new GM models (Cobalt) :lol:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Personally I like it on the stalk. When you hold a steering wheel your hands are on the outside, near the stalk. They're not palming the wheel. It's quicker just to reach out a finger and push a button then move your whole hand.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hope the new Cobalt takes care of that nasty engine whine I encountered when renting a 2003 Cavalier last summer. Oh, I hope the trunk lid stays up when you open the trunk and doesn't "bounce" back down to hit me on the head when I need to get into the trunk space. Wait, that Fisher-Price shifter on the automatic had better be replaced as well. While they're at it, I hope the ambivalent automatic transmission can pick a gear when it comes time to climb a grade on a freeway.

After a rather dismal rental experience with the Cavalier, I'm ASTOUNDED that these cars sold at all. Wait, NOW I know what that car reminds me of: the NEW Saturn Ion -- the same platform on which this Colbalt will be built.

Dont' bet me wrong, my opinion of GM is improving by leaps and bounds. Afterall, my parents drive Chevys exclusively now that they have a GM credit card. My mom's Z28 is sweet on the outside and the performance is awesome, but that interior...Dad's crew cab Duramax 2500 Silverado is just plain awesome!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The heated leather seat switches are goofed up. Obviously they were robbed from another car where they were mounted vertically. Mounting them hortizontally makes them look retarded. I hope they fix this little snafu.

Mark

21 - 40 of 46 Posts