1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isuzu says fewer U.S. models will help bottom line
YUZO YAMAGUCHI
Automotive News

TOKYO - Isuzu Motors Ltd. says its plan to stop selling two vehicles in the United States will bring its North American SUV business back to the break-even point this fiscal year.

In the fiscal year that ended March 31, Isuzu lost ¥2 billion in North America, or about $19 million. But the Japanese company as a whole rebounded from a $1.37 billion loss to post net income of $517.7 million.

In July, Isuzu will cancel production of the Rodeo and Axiom from its former joint venture assembly plant, now called Subaru of Indiana Inc. The move will leave Isuzu Motors America Inc. and its 400 dealers with only one nameplate to sell: the Ascender.

That SUV is a version of General Motors' TrailBlazer/Envoy line. Isuzu says it hasn't decided whether to renew its contact with GM and take the next generation of the SUVs after they are redesigned. The revamped SUV is expected to go on sale in 2006. GM owns 12 percent of the Japanese truckmaker.

Meanwhile, Isuzu plans to bring a Thai-made SUV, based on a pickup jointly developed by Isuzu and GM, to the United States in 2006.

"We'll decide what to do for SUVs after getting them back to a break-even," Isuzu President Yoshinori Ida said last week.

In addition to recording a net profit, Isuzu group's operating profit rose 446.4 percent to $799.4 million for the year. Revenues climbed 6.0 percent to $13.53 billion.

Full Story Here

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
That's a very unattractive truck.

I seriously think that ZERO models would significantly help Isuzu.
They should pull out of North America.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Wow, that's an unattractive SUV! Looks like it came out of 1995... BTW, I was wondering why Isuzu doesn't use their GM resources better. They could rebadge an Outback, XL7, etc. It sure would be better than this 2006 SUV...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It's time 4 Isuzu 2 just go away.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@May 31 2004, 03:24 PM
That's a very unattractive truck.

I seriously think that ZERO models would significantly help Isuzu.
They should pull out of North America.
couldnt have said it better myself....

·
Registered
650 Posts
It looks like someone hit that truck with an ugly stick. The word in Isuzu land is the "ugly" truck might not even make it here. When the Rodeo came out, it was cool. I think they forgot how to make a good looking suv.
One thing is for sure, even the dealers are throwing in the towel with Isuzu. You would think after losing all that money the last few years, they would do the same.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow why would they keep the Ascender?? I mean the Axiom and Rodeo are much much better vehicles in my oppinion although I still don't think they can compete in North America.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts