GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-0...-20-isuzu_x.htm

"By late summer, Isuzu will offer just one SUV model, down from four in 1999, and that one isn't purely an Isuzu." (Ascender)

I wasn't aware that GM had trimmed its holdings in Isuzu so dramatically:
"General Motors, which once owned 49% of Isuzu, now owns just 12% via a write-down and restructuring. It mainly is interested in Isuzu's foreign diesel business, and isn't expected to do much more on behalf of the U.S. operation than manufacture Ascenders for it to sell."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It appears Isuzi's business in selling automobiles in the US & Canada has completely collapsed. It's going to take more than advertising to resurrect the brand. Howver, with only one 2005 and 2006 model, I doubt they will make it to the end of the decade. They may be reduced to a manufacturer of engines and possibly commercial vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't remember where I heard this (possibly one of the car magazines), but Isuzu will cease selling SUVs by the end of this year. I heard that Isuzu wants to sell only commercial/heavy trucks. So if you want an Isuzu, you better buy soon.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
can anyone tell me where vehicross is?

In the great big parking lot in the sky...it was dropped about 4 years ago.

Too bad for Isuzu if they are going to pull out of the market. I think that Isuzu could be saved with bette foucus, new models and some cut rate pricing.

Isuzu just recently introduced a short wheelbase version of the GMT360, so now it has 2 versions of the Ascender.

If was in charge of saving Isuzu, I would add a low priced version of the Colorado/Canyon, which Isuzu already sells in South America, no 5 cylinder, just the 2800 I4 and a standard 5 speed and an available automatic. 1 trim level, cheap, available AC, and a few color choices. Sell it in just regular cab and crew cab models, skip the extened cab, 2wd only. This would be a nice little fleet/entry level/1st truck.

Then give Isuzu a version of the Equinox/Vue platfrom, short wheelbase, like the Vue, but with steel body panels,again a 4 cylinder only, probably the 2.2 Ecotec, few colors, low price, just one available radio combo and AC. This would give Isuzu a fighter in the low priced small SUV segment.

Perhaps Izusu can even get back into the small car game, with some of those "foreign" Chevrolets that are sold in Canada, just badged as Isuzus for the US?

Maybe a version of the Aveo, just the hatchback, again plain, with only 1 or 2 options, just AC and automatic.

I had even thought of a stripped down version of the GMT800 full-size truck? Maybe with just the 3500 5 cylinder standard, and small diesel V6 available? Only one bed size available, the 6.5 ft box, in plastic, like the base Silverado.

Isuzu could become an outlet for some of GMDaewoo products in the US.

Just some thoughts....

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Never liked Isuzu very much, aside from the Vehicross. I kinda still wished they produced the 4-door Vehicross like the concept which was SWEET.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i kinda liked the axiom when it came out. but when i saw pricing was oround 32k for a v6.. thought they were crazy. might be a good time to get a bargain on one now. i also like the vehicross, but when i actually got to test drive one, i was very dissapointed. interior size felt like i was in a compact car that was just sitting high.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I can't say I'm suprised or upset, but what I can say is that I won't miss Isuzu when GM finally puts this dog down.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I always thought their best chance was to make a knock-down LR Defender type vehicle in SE Asia for custom assembly in North America (and the rest of the world). It'd be a total stripper like the Defender, and available with either a small gas or diesel engine, but would be build to order in a whole range of body styles and configurations. Not sure what the market is for something like that, but it'd be damn' cool! :D

And the Axiom engine was really something. AFAIK it was the first direct-injection gas engine widely available. FYI it's basically a diesel engine that runs on gas. Very cool.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Really was a useless car company except for the sweet duramax diesel. Now with
Isuzu and Mitsu going down the tubes maybe GM can bring back Olds and the F-bodies!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that Isuzu's only chance is to produce some real, down to earth rugged off-road vehicles and buggies. All the others out there today somehow have gotten so confused that off-road also is supposed to mean luxury. Look at the Jeeps and Hummer. Those things are too nice and cost too much to take in the mud, get deer blood on them, or go riding in the sand dunes. We need someone in a niche market to produce true, rugged off-road (and run) vehicles. Something that you can spray out with a hose or take riding on the beach (beach buggy) without having to worry about scratching the leather seats or distructing the delicate electrical system.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I see no hope for Isuzu in the US market.

There is no strong reason for anyone to buy an Isuzu, aside from the good warranty. Isuzu, like Mitsubishi for the most part, has no compelling product, and what product it does have is old or just rebadged.

The Axiom was the last hope for Isuzu, and it didn't capture the hearts of Americans.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Isuzu does have some really good engine technology, like the DI gas engine mentioned above. I hope GM can take advantage of it.

But I'm afraid there is nothing they can do to save the brand now. Once people start talking about a company not selling vehicles here any more, people don't want to get stuck with an orphan and stop buying and that brings their demise quickly, even if they really did stand a chance.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 23 2004, 01:17 PM
There is no strong reason for anyone to buy an Isuzu, aside from the good warranty. Isuzu, like Mitsubishi for the most part, has no compelling product, and what product it does have is old or just rebadged.
off-topic but oh-well:

How are Galant sales doing? They seem to be selling well here in Dallas...lower-line models only though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts