·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealers Sign Up For Isuzu D-Max

Marton Pettendy
27 May 2008
www.goauto.com.au

Newly-formed Isuzu Ute Australia confirms D-Max launch as dealer network takes shape.

Mitsubishi Corporation has registered a company called Isuzu Ute Australia to manage the import and distribution in Australia later this year of the Isuzu D-Max utility, first details of which will soon be officially revealed.

As GoAuto revealed exclusively in early March, Holden has lost the rights to continue to apply the long-running Rodeo model nameplate to the light commercial vehicle built for it by Isuzu in Thailand, following the formal separation between Isuzu and Holden’s parent company General Motors.

Holden will relaunch the Rodeo as the Colorado in July via a cosmetically facelifted model that is now on sale in Thailand as the Chevrolet Colorado. Featuring a new front bumper and interior trim, it will swap the Chev bow-tie logo on its grille for Holden’s lion mascot.

As previously reported, Mitsubishi Corporation is Japan’s largest publicly listed company and has interests in many industries globally, including Isuzu Motors Limited (IML) and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) in Japan.

Via its new subsidiary Isuzu Ute Australia (IUA), it is now establishing an Australian dealer network of up to 50 retail outlets to sell the Isuzu D-Max, as it is known in markets outside Australia. The new company is separate to both Isuzu’s existing commercial truck operation here, Isuzu Australia Limited (IAL), and Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL).

Click here to continue article

Chevrolet Colorado (above) and Isuzu D-Max (below)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wish we had this Colorado front end here! And the diesel option too.....

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Very bitchy of Isuzu to stop Holden using Rodeo if they were not going to use it themselves. I guess it's a way of hurting Holden, because a name change of a longrunning model always causes confusion.

Good luck to Isuzu - the first few Geminis sold as Isuzus in Oz didn't exactly light the market up. Wasn't until they put the lion badge on they took off. Sounds familiar.

·
Registered
273 Posts
weird move.....

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
RIP isuzu.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It seems like a fairly pointless exercise to me, Isuzu is never going to have a big enough model lineup to keep a dealer network alive, but I guess if Mahindra can try it with just one model then Isuzu probably can too. The vehicle already has an established market presence too which can't be bad plus for end users seeking parts they can price Holden against Isuzu.

I always found the Rodeo a little bit odd looking, the Colorado revisions take care of all that though. Much better.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Good for Holden, good for GM; now they can utilize some excess capacity. I don't mind G8's being exported to N.A. so long as we send something there.

The Isuzu is a nice looking vehicle, but the next-gen Colorado should be available in the next year or so and should address some of its short comings.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good for Holden, good for GM; now they can utilize some excess capacity. I don't mind G8's being exported to N.A. so long as we send something there.

The Isuzu is a nice looking vehicle, but the next-gen Colorado should be available in the next year or so and should address some of its short comings.
Holden's Colorado will be built in Thailand.

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not a big fan of the Colorado name being used on an Australian-sold vehicle.
I was thinking, wouldn't Jackeroo have been a better replacement for Rodeo, as it already been used by Holden on the late Isuzu 4WD.
Problem is, I dare say, Isuzu probably owns that name too.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The Colorado looks out-dated compared to the 'D-Max'......

I wish there was some way of getting ANOTHER vehicle instead, thats a better all round vehicle than the current Colorado and Rodeo, Isuzu trucks being produced in Thailand...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The Colorado looks out-dated compared to the 'D-Max'......

I wish there was some way of getting ANOTHER vehicle instead, thats a better all round vehicle than the current Colorado and Rodeo, Isuzu trucks being produced in Thailand...
I agree that the current Rodeo looks much nicer than the Colorado.
Surely Isuzu will use the Rodeo name here rather than D-MAX?

I reckon Holden missed an opportunity with the Colorado name. Here it sounds like a pair of shoes.
I reckon it should be the Holden Utah!

·
Registered
713 Posts
How well have name changes gone down over the years??

380??..
Nova??.
Pulsar??.

Didn't Holden give up it's ownership of Isuzu in Australia not long ago?.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I thought D-Max was short for Duramax. :confused: It is around here.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Colorado is outdated compared to the Rodeo. Maybe they should start building a new one here in Australia. Look at the Hilux, it was the top selling vehicle last month, Steal the market by making it practical but stylish.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The Colorado is outdated compared to the Rodeo. Maybe they should start building a new one here in Australia. Look at the Hilux, it was the top selling vehicle last month, Steal the market by making it practical but stylish.

An Aussie designed and built small truck, by Holden, could potentially be a big seller I reckon.
It'll never happen though. Unlessssss..... how flexible is zeta actually? could it be turned into a truck? hahaha

·
Registered
434 Posts
An Aussie designed and built small truck, by Holden, could potentially be a big seller I reckon.
It'll never happen though. Unlessssss..... how flexible is zeta actually? could it be turned into a truck? hahaha
Haha yer that's true. Maybe they could take the platform that the colorado or similar rests on and build around it? Has potential but its very unlikely. They have the engines at heir disposal but I'm sure the mid size car is high priority right now

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

So i guess you have forgotten the hundreds of thousands of 3.8 V6's and 4sp auto gearbox's and many tens of thousands of GEN111 and now GENIV V8's sent here from US??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts