GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed at the CIAS yesterday that Isuzu was nowhere to be found.

Upon visiting Isuzu Canada's website this morning I found this:

ISUZU WEBSITE

We are sorry to inform you that the Isuzu brand has been discontinued in Canada. If you are currently an Isuzu driver, we’d like to offer you an exclusive opportunity to stay in the General Motors family.

Isuzu owners are then given a $2000 rebate on the purchase of a Saab or Saturn, or $1250 for any other GM car.

For those that didn't know: Saturn/Saab/Isuzu were united in Canada and sold together at dealerships.

Furthermore, Isuzu Canada never had the selection of models that were available in the US. No Axiom, no vehicross, no Rodeo Sport, etc... Canada only seemed to have the Rodeo and Trooper (before it was terminated).

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
does anyone know what the old isuzu stylus was based on? surely it didn't have a dedicated platform. that was the last isuzu that i liked. i don't think it sold well, and it didn't ever get much press (so i don't know if it as any good or not), but it looked sharp for such a dinky little car. poor isuzu. adios.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Wow - sales volume and market share must have been even lower Canada...

I still think Suzuki and Isuzu should have teamed up, with Suzuki doing the small cars.

Funny Suzuki is the survivor of the 2, but now is relying heavily on GM Daewoo product (and with success so far). Since Suzuki owns 10% of GM Daewoo, this is good for them as well, but interesting nonetheless to see how this is all playing out ---- 2nd tier Japanese automakers are definitely feeling the sting of the Koreans, and Suzuki took the old "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.

You know if Suzuki was only selling SUVs that it would be in the toilet now, too.

133 Posts
no tears here.

:eatarrow:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Now only if the same thing can happen here in the States.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Isuzu's Stylus was on the same platform as the Impulse/Storm.

As for Suzuki, they're only using GM DAT products to enhance their US lineup. Elsewhere in the world (where small cars and trucks sell), Suzuki's product lineup is strong. Isuzu just can't compete in the truck-based market of the US...and isn't doing much better in the rest of the world with light vehicles. They should just dump light-vehicles and concentrate on medium/heavy trucks.

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
Could Isuzu in the States be far behind? They already sold their interest in the plant they shared with Subaru here in the States. Isuzu said they would pay Subaru to make their US built cars for model year '04. But what about the future? GM reduced it's equity stake in Isuzu from 49% to 12% last year, but picked up 60% of Isuzu Diesel -- so at least if they go under, GM has access to their Diesel technology.

Honestly, if I were Isuzu, I would stop selling mainstream vehicles altogether and just sell heavy-duty, commerical and light-duty vehicles for their related industries. This is where Isuzu is known to have a good reputation and what built their reputation to begin with -- and not necessarily in marketing vehicles to the public. In fact, GM should not only hold on to their diesel group, but grab their engineering group too. Then offer an alliance between GM heavy trucks and what's left of Isuzu's commerical group to market heavy industry products around the world.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Good Ol' Artie......Isuzu medium duty truck suck as well.....I remember 2 years ago having 2 drive 1 from Philly 2 Scranton almost every day 4 2 loooong years...I hated that truck and every other medium duty Iszuzu truck I drove,No passing power,the acessories sucked AC never got cold,heat never got hot,wind noise like a MUTHA!!!!.....ugh..the horror.

·
Registered
114 Posts
FINALLY!!! ISUZU is going i wish GM decided to get rid of Isuzu instead Oldsmobile because i think Olds actually had a chance to revive itself unlike Isuzu where theyre just rebadged trucks aka Ascender otherwise known as the envoy with trailblazer wheels...Olds had some nice concepts on the hands and might have been able to distance themselves from pontiac and buick models...but i only wish GM would take Olds back and get rid of Isuzu nothing but fugly trucks anyway just stick to your diesel and heavy duty trucks stay off mainstream vehicles

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
If Isuzu goes under, shuts down operations... how much of Isuzu's sales count towards GM's overall global sales total?
Is it significant? I know they barely make a dent in the US and Canada, but what about elsewhere in the world, where smaller is much better?

If Isuzu can fill a niche that no GM brand can fill, it's best they stay in business. Best not to give Toyota any footing in any niche... anywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, over here you only see the Isuzu badge on Heavy Duty Truck's, where they are a big seller. All it's SUV's and PickUp's are sold with Holden badges. Isuzu got rid of it's passenger car range many year's ago over here.

It's a shame it had to come to this for Isuzu in one of the biggest market's in the world.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Isuzu medium duty truck suck as well.....I remember 2 years ago having 2 drive 1 from Philly 2 Scranton almost every day 4 2 loooong years...I hated that truck and every other medium duty Iszuzu truck I drove,No passing power,the acessories sucked AC never got cold,heat never got hot,wind noise like a MUTHA!!!!.....ugh..the horror.
Ever consider that they build the majority of GM Medium Duty trucks?

Until the 540/T-Series of 1996, US-market tilt-cab GM medium dutys were badge engineered Isuzus.

Even the T-Series (GMT 540 and 560-T) still utilize Isuzu-built cabs, albeit on GM C-Series frames. Now, they're even closer to Isuzu's utilizing the DURAMAX Turbo I-6 (built by Isuzu).

But, really, is the death of Isuzu Canada a surprise? As mentioned, they did pull out of the Subaru J/V; they sold a lot of stake in DURAMAX LTD to GM, and they halted SUV/car sales in Japan two years ago. In addition, they had a weak display at the Detroit Auto Show in the basement, replaced by noneother than KIA.

I just think that GM really lost interest and focus on where and how to direct the energies of Isuzu. I do agree that Isuzu should re-focus on their strong point, commercial vehicles. They discontinued their SUV sales in Japan a few years ago, so in reality, the death of them in the US and/or Canada.

It's a shame.

MQ

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow, this is the first I have heard about Isuzu leaving Canada. I guess people just forgot about them in the midst of so many other SUVs that are out there. Although I am sad to hear of their departure, but it dosen't surprise me as they only sold SUVs and were not exactly being a household name. Not to mention bad publicity (Roll-over, if I recall) and a lack of new (not-rebadged) products, and practly no advertising, were probably some of the causes that led to Isuzu leaving Canada.

And I agree with carguy2225 that Oldsmobile had a better chance of making a comeback, but I am sad to see both brands go. I can only hope that in a few years GM will get it's act together and being me back Olds. I'd also like to see Isuzu take charge and design some new models to regain some market share and consumer confidence so that hopefuly sooner than later we'll see them back in Canada.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I noticed this when I went to the Isuzu Canada website a few days ago. Sad.

Last I heard Isuzu North America had halted all advertizing, was shutting down Rodeo/Axion production, and was planning to come out with a new vehicle based on a 3rd world pickup platform (forget if it was Thai' or Indonesian). Not sure how that's going.

I always thought it would be a good idea for Isuzu to launch a model lineup similar to the LR Defender but somewhat more up-to-date, building moduels in a low-cost country and shipping them to North America for assembly and finishing to order. They could build a whote lineup for the cost of developing one vehicle, and they could leverage their strength in diesels and their reputation for toughness. Not sure what the market for something like that is beyond the offroader croud tho' - the Wrangler seems to do pretty well.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by stewacide@Feb 15 2004, 11:23 PM
I noticed this when I went to the Isuzu Canada website a few days ago. Sad.

Last I heard Isuzu North America had halted all advertizing, was shutting down Rodeo/Axion production, and was planning to come out with a new vehicle based on a 3rd world pickup platform (forget if it was Thai' or Indonesian). Not sure how that's going.

I always thought it would be a good idea for Isuzu to launch a model lineup similar to the LR Defender but somewhat more up-to-date, building moduels in a low-cost country and shipping them to North America for assembly and finishing to order. They could build a whote lineup for the cost of developing one vehicle, and they could leverage their strength in diesels and their reputation for toughness. Not sure what the market for something like that is beyond the offroader croud tho' - the Wrangler seems to do pretty well.
That 3rd world pickup is similar to the Chevy Coloradp / GMC Canyon if memory serves.

Biggest problem with Isuzu is that they let their product get old and stale, instead of keeping it current. The SUVs they and Suzuki sell are the small-mid size SUVs of 5 years ago, no matter how much they update the sheet metal. Chevy can afford to have a few models like that, but not a small maker like Isuzu.

Too bad, because Isuzu has a really neat direct injection engine now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts