GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Ascender has been maligned for being a bad rebage attempt, and is doing poorly in sales. Because of this, I have seen new Ascenders advertised locally for $19,999 and sometimes a little less. This isnt one of those "one only" deals ,they have several of them. Sounds like a steal for rebadged Trailblazer.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't see it as a bad deal at all.
And the Isuzu has a little better warranty too (providing that Isuzu is still around in a few years (It's gone from Canada already)).

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by 2HOTZ28@Apr 12 2004, 09:08 PM
I know the Ascender has been maligned for being a bad rebage attempt, and is doing poorly in sales. Because of this, I have seen new Ascenders advertised locally for $19,999 and sometimes a little less. This isnt one of those "one only" deals ,they have several of them. Sounds like a steal for rebadged Trailblazer.
The Acender is a rebadged Envoy to tell you the truth (not that it really matters, but you get the Envoy dash which is nice). For sub 20k, thats a great price and if you can get past the Acender's Isuzu looks, then Id get it...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Apr 12 2004, 10:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Apr 12 2004, 10:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-2HOTZ28@Apr 12 2004, 09:08 PM
The Acender is a rebadged Envoy to tell you the truth (not that it really matters, but you get the Envoy dash which is nice). For sub 20k, thats a great price and if you can get past the Acender's Isuzu looks, then Id get it... [/b][/quote]
With the money U'd save in buying the Ascender U could invest in a good nose job on it 2 make it a Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada/9-7x/Rainer. :frankie:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by 2HOTZ28@Apr 12 2004, 10:08 PM
I've seen commercials of it "starting at" $19,999... so I'd say although it doesn't appear to have massive rebates like it's cousins... in my own experience it's been the most affordable of all of them. Not sure if there are differences in part costs that explain this, or just front end/ brand clout. I think it could be a good choice...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
that would be a bargain being that an envoy or trailblazer start around 27k. front ends should be swappable. i really like the headlamps and grille of envoy, probably way i'd go if shopping for suv.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Lost the link, but here is some more data:

Basically a less-expensive rendition of the long-wheelbase Envoy, the Ascender offers the roomy accommodations and good driving characteristics.

The standard engine is a smooth and powerful inline-six-cylinder. This refined, twin-overhead-cam mill produces 275 horsepower and plenty of pull for the heavy Ascender, which weighs in at 4,790 pounds in the two-wheel-drive version tested here. The four-wheel-drive reaches nearly 5,000 pounds.

The straight six also is strong enough to tow 5,500 pounds, according to GM, making the Ascender a capable vehicle for boat- or horse-trailer towing duties. There's an optional 5.3-liter V-8 available with a lot more torque, but unless you're towing the Queen Mary, the six is plenty.

Isuzu even helped Honda. Its popular Rodeo SUV was re-badged as the Honda Passport, now defunct because Honda has its own SUV, the Pilot.

So it seems fitting and proper that Isuzu should now get new life from the Ascender. Even the name implies help from on high.

The Ascender has a lot going for it, not the least of which is value. It has a higher level of standard equipment and sells for less than the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, and it offers a better warranty.

For example, the TrailBlazer's bumper-to-bumper limited warranty is for three years and 36,000 miles. The Ascender's is for three years or 50,000 miles. In addition, the Ascender carries a seven-year, 75,000-mile limited warranty on the engine and transmission, along with roadside assistance for seven years or 75,000 miles.

Extended warranties are what have helped Korean manufacturers Hyundai and Kia to make a comeback in the U.S. market, and the Isuzu gurus obviously are hoping for the same.

Price helps, too. The tested 2003 Ascender S carried a base price of $29,224, compared to $30,535 for the TrailBlazer EXT LS. Yet the Ascender had a number of standard features that were optional on the TrailBlazer, including side air bags, an alarm system, fog lights, a rear-window defroster, garage-door opener, cruise control and a trip computer.

The first thing you notice about the Ascender is how quiet and refined it is. Engine and road noise is all but eliminated, and there is only an occasional intrusion of wind noise on the highway - usually when there is crosswind buffeting.

With a fairly soft suspension system and an overall length of 17 feet 4 inches, which is longer than some full-size SUVS, the Ascender has a remarkably compliant ride for a truck. It also handles competently, though you wouldn't want to try chasing a sports sedan on twisting roads.

The interior on the test vehicle was done up with a nice cloth upholstery and tastefully applied faux woodgrain trim. All seven seating positions can carry full-sized adults, though the front buckets are the most comfortable and the center position in the second is the worst.

Because the Ascender is equipped with a slightly higher rear axle ratio than the TrailBlazer, it has marginally better acceleration. Both vehicles use GM's excellent in-line six-cylinder engine. With a displacement of 4.2 liters, it delivers a solid 275 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque at 3600 rpms. The latter is a measure of low-speed power - important for towing and hauling.

The downside of the higher rear axle ratio is fuel economy. On the Ascender, it is 15 miles to the gallon in the city and 20 on the highway. The TrailBlazer gets 16 and 22.

Power gets to the wheels through a smooth-shifting four-speed automatic transmission, which is beefy enough to enable the Ascender to carry almost three-quarters of a ton of passengers and cargo, and tow up to 5,500 pounds.

So it would seem the choice between the Trooper and the Ascender should be an easy one. However, there is a more difficult choice that awaits potential buyers, though in this case we're talking about the potential buyers of the Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy. Do they go ahead and buy a TrailBlazer EXT or Envoy XL, or do they opt for the virtually identical Isuzu Ascender with its longer warranty?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I'm guessing that $19999 is for the 2WD 5-passenger Ascender and not the 7-passenger. Even at that, it's a good deal.

If you plan on keeping it a long time, go for the Ascender. If you were only keeping it a year or two, and Isuzu closed up shop in the U.S. in the meantime as rumored, it might be hard to convince someone to buy your orphan. But if you are keeping it for 5 years or so, I'm sure 99% of it could be serviced at a GM dealer. Take the savings (and the longer warantee) and run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts