GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(AOL Autos) -- As environment-friendly Martha Stewart might know, that new car smell is not a good thing.

The Ecology Center found the Suzuki Forenza was one of the most toxic car models.

In fact, inhaling the fumes from your new car can be toxic and are created from a literal soup of chemicals such as arsenic and formaldehyde, which can take years to completely be "out-gassed" from your new car's interior materials.

In fact, Americans spend so much time in their cars, the "out-gassing" of so-called volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from new car interiors and new car seat parts like the steering wheel, dashboard, seats and carpets are a big concern as these are known contributors to acute and long-term health problems.

Unfortunately, with the auto industry slowdown on the minds of car execs and politicians, combating indoor air pollution in new cars is not getting much play. Interestingly, automakers in Europe and Japan are serious about making their cars less toxic, especially for those who suffer from environmental allergies.

So, can America's Big Three really take on yet another eco challenge in a market focused mostly on fuel efficiency and lowering carbon dioxide emissions? Some American automakers are already making strides to clean up chemical emissions inside their cars.

General Motor's vehicles, in fact, showed a 27 percent improvement in cleaning up indoor air pollution, so says findings from The Ecology Center's annual HealthyCar.org study.

Using portable X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) technology, The Ecology Center tests almost 300 new cars and car seats for toxic chemicals like bromine, chlorine, lead and heavy metals. These chemicals have been linked to health issues such as birth defects, liver toxicity, cancer, allergies and impaired learning.

Don't Miss
AOL Autos: Porsche 911
AOL Autos: Dodge Caliber
AOL Autos: BMW-M5
"XRF is the dominate technology used to quickly screen products for harmful chemicals," said Jeff Gearhart, director of the Ecology Center's Clean Car Campaign. XRF is used by the Food and Drug Administration, Homeland Security, Consumer Products Safety Commission and many leading companies to screen harmful chemicals in consumer products.

"We still see far too many vehicles that are very chemical intensive," Gearhart said. "The good news is within every vehicle class, we have vehicles we rank that have minimal use of these chemicals."

Some of the least toxic cars found in the Ecology Center study are:

Porsche 911
Honda Accord
Dodge Caliber
Saturn Astra XR
Dodge Charger
BMW M5
Toyota Tacoma
Acura RDX

The study found the following models are the most toxic:

Suzuki Forenza
Suzuki Reno
Lincoln Mark LT
Mitsubishi Eclipse
BMW 128i

For consumers thinking about buying a new car or car set, you can visit HealthyCar.org and search the findings by model or compare models.

More at LINK

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like how later some guy from chrysler said that this whole thing was a scare tactic, even though their cars did well. Plus they pointed out that aparently GM is doing well at improving there cars ... somehow.

But I just have to point out, the Astra made this list as one of the least toxic.:clap:

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I like how later some guy from chrysler said that this whole thing was a scare tactic, even though their cars did well. Plus they pointed out that aparently GM is doing well at improving there cars ... somehow.

But I just have to point out, the Astra made this list as one of the least toxic.:clap:
I apologize in advance, I can't resist.

The Astra may be the least toxic, but I can't stop vomiting every time I look at it!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Nobody is gonna take away the new car smell from me

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
"Chrysler is just plain ignorant of the science" - Ouch!!

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
"Chrysler is just plain ignorant of the science" - Ouch!!
The problem is that you need SCIENCE

Wasser will kill you if you drink too much. Everything is harmful to excess. The amount of volatile chemicals in a new car interior is minimal, detectable but minimal. Are you going to get sick, well have you gotten sick from riding in your new car? No? Has anyone ever heard of someone who ever was, in any car, in anywhere on the world at any time? No? That is science my friends, draw logical conclusions from evidence!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Chrysler has a point actually (in my honest opinion aynway). If their methods of determining harmfulness are based on materials used during the manufacturing process....with no actual data as far as "off-gassing"...then I feel the data is flawed.

By the way this has been posted before. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/your-cars-interior-giving-off-toxic-chemicals-68927/

Come to think of it...it wasn't a thread per se: I read some information posted by a GMI member written by some dude here: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/toyota-s-willing-stooges-trend-narcissism-us-society-67200/
Moreover, the Ecology Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan conducted a chemical analysis of 200 cars from the 2006-2007 model year. They tested for the presence of Bromine and Chlorine compounds, as well as various heavy metals. The report (Gearhart, Posselt, Juska, and Griffith 2007) found that GM has the healthiest interiors, followed closely by Honda, while Toyota has the most toxic interiors. On a scale of 0-5 (zero is best) the highly touted Toyota Camry rated 3.2, placing it in the “moderate con-cern” category. Although the best-selling Toyota Corolla scored better at 2.4, it is still far worse than the class-leading Chevrolet Cobalt at 0.5 (Gearhart et al. 2007: 15).
To which I responded:
False; this is smoke and mirrors. Please guys follow this link to his reference... http://www.healthycar.org/documents/healthycarguide07.pdf Page 14 shows charts with "least concern" and of "most concern":
GM has 7 vehicles listed as least concern, and 6 vehicles listed as most concern.
Toyota has 2 vehicles listed as least concern, and 2 vehicles listed as most concern.
Or we can break it down to green (low concern), and red (high concern):
GM green: 9, GM red: 5 (it's good thing GM sold most of Suzuki, because Suzuki had a lot of red)
Toyota green: 4, Toyota red: 4

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
Nobody is gonna take away the new car smell from me
They will get my New Car Smell when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers! :cool:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
dont take this the wrong way, but why is this important to people? personally when im in the market for a new car, do you think im thinking hmm i wonder what kind of toxins are in the interior on this car, i think i wont buy this one because its not as ecological as this one.

i see where someone can say this is a good thing to monitor im not arguing that, but come on now, we have alot more important things to think about than some fumes on a new car interior.

personally i love the smell of a new car, so i guess im inhaling toxic chemicals.

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
dont take this the wrong way, but why is this important to people? personally when im in the market for a new car, do you think im thinking hmm i wonder what kind of toxins are in the interior on this car, i think i wont buy this one because its not as ecological as this one.

i see where someone can say this is a good thing to monitor im not arguing that, but come on now, we have alot more important things to think about than some fumes on a new car interior.

personally i love the smell of a new car, so i guess im inhaling toxic chemicals.
Why is this important to people?

Don't take this the wrong way, but methinks you will not be buying a Pious any time soon. :cool:

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

Essentially toxic chemicals are ones you will wish to avoid. Why, they are toxic, that means bad for you ;) Toxic doesn't mean posionous, but if you are getting a significant exposure to toxins while you sit in your car, over time you can develop a cancer or something like this. This happens all the time with occupations where people work with certain chemicals, but nowadays people are a lot more careful and it isn't such a big deal.

That said you need a significant amount...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
roll down the windows once in a while :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
roll down the windows once in a while :rolleyes:
What an outrageous suggestion!

Everyone is entitled to clean air, it's in th' constooshin' along with clean water, health care, edikayshin that creates dumbness, and smiley faces. :)

People should not have to make an effort to do anything for themselves, specially for their own good!

SASaabr, Toxic in my dictionary: poison, orig., poison in which arrows were dipped.

So perhaps if there were some government window-openers to assist some owners in occasionally opening their windows, and if people do not sit on poison-tipped arrows, they will be better off.

Could Citizens Cushion Poison, or CCCP?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What really makes me sick is other people driving better cars than I do. If I get my way, this will be a thing of the past and we'll all be theoretically equal.

Clean Communist Cars Prevail, or CCCP for short.

·
Premium Member
36,293 Posts
What really makes me sick is other people driving better cars than I do. If I get my way, this will be a thing of the past and we'll all be theoretically equal.

Clean Communist Cars Prevail, or CCCP for short.
Could Castroism Create Parity? Or, CCCP for short. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts