GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just posted a video on a 5 star safety win for the ATS, I saw this video and took a look. At first I thought it was just some modified car, but by the time it was over I was wondering if this is the direction that Cadillac should be going with its advertising.

For me the music had a similar impact to the original CTS ads using Led Zep, but the modern music sounds more forward thinking vs. Led Zep being backward thinking. The music sounded modern, technical (somehow making me think advanced technology is in this Cadillac) and caught my attention. The car to, while obviously after market, could this tap the younger generation that Cadillac needs to attract? Granted, in general it would attract the generation not financially "there" yet to afford the car, but it could build up the base. I'm probably the demographic Cadillac wants (45 with annual salary up there) - and I wasn't offended by the youthful image of this video, I was kind of attracted to it.

Certainly better than the dancing mechanical arms that attracted absolutely no one.

Opinions????

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I like the more powerful music, it's much better than a hipster walking down the street thinking he's the bee's knees. Then again, I like the David Bowie song in the Escalade commercial.

This video seemed a little too "ghetto". No, Cadillac doesn't need to be associated with inner cities, graffiti, and highly modded cars. Nothing about that video says money or luxury. People will think this:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I didn't like that video. The music, meh. I honestly got annoyed with the music after the 1:30 mark. The backdrop just reminds me of crime ridden inner cities and traffic.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Insightful :)

Or perhaps I should say elements of this video should be used, not the exact video - the music? Perhaps the backdrop...
No offence meant. I'm guess I'm just in "A mood" this morning.

As a "framework" so to speak, it could form the basis for a "targeted" ad or two I suppose.

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offence meant. I'm guess I'm just in "A mood" this morning.

As a "framework" so to speak, it could form the basis for a "targeted" ad or two I suppose.
absolutely no offense taken, I kind of just laughed. I've used the one word response a few times myself!

Or another way to repurpose this thread is "what would make a good Cadillac ad"

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the more powerful music, it's much better than a hipster walking down the street thinking he's the bee's knees. Then again, I like the David Bowie song in the Escalade commercial.

This video seemed a little too "ghetto". No, Cadillac doesn't need to be associated with inner cities, graffiti, and highly modded cars. Nothing about that video says money or luxury. People will think this:

Ha! Yes definitely a lot of getto in the ad, but it definitely was youthful. Perhaps Cadillac could show more subtle moderations without the graffiti in the background. Or on the flip side use the graffiti background with a stock car.

I didn't like that video. The music, meh. I honestly got annoyed with the music after the 1:30 mark. The backdrop just reminds me of crime ridden inner cities and traffic.
Yes, 3 minutes of the music is too much, but I think it sets a good mood for a 30 second spot.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
No, this isn't the direction Cadillac should go in its advertising... I don't care for the look at all, but the sound wouldn't really be bad if it was less in the foreground, like in the ad I've posted below. The Led Zeppelin ads meant something more than just having Led Zeppelin music in the background... It was the actual song they used, Rock And Roll (It's been a long time since I rock and rolled...), which added to the meaning. Sure, they were aimed at Baby Boomers and they were brilliant ads... Just a little too late to capture the Boomers, and the quality of the Cadillac line just wasn't enough to capture the older Gen Xers, who grew up with memories of their grandparents' Cadillac "boats"...

The Stephen Merchant ad, to which I think Dequindre was referring, was fantastic... He's a little bit more than a "hipster." He's a writing partner of Ricky Gervais, having written for both the British & American versions of The Office & Ricky Gervais' "solo" programs in both countries, as well as Hello Ladies, his own program, where he plays a "character" very similar to the one in the Cadillac ad... And the G. Love song, Come Up Man, fits perfectly... Humorous ads like that should be sprinkled in with ads like this:

I like these latest Cadillac offerings. They will not stand out like the Zep ads, but then again, very few car ads ever made do. The Breakthrough ad was one of the best car commercials ever, and it still did very little for the brand sales-wise, but I do think it did raise awareness of the brand, even if the actual cars weren't enough to capture buyers. They now have the product. I believe they should keep up with the sophisticated ads, just keep adding to them... Or do a quasi-follow up to the Zep ads, this time using Van Halen's (The only band that could follow Led Zep) Unchained or Panama (Opening music & first verse could be used from either), to show their rebellious American side...

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
No, this isn't the direction Cadillac should go in its advertising... I don't care for the look at all, but the sound wouldn't really be bad if it was less in the foreground, like in the ad I've posted below. The Led Zeppelin ads meant something more than just having Led Zeppelin music in the background... It was the actual song they used, Rock And Roll (It's been a long time since I rock and rolled...), which added to the meaning. Sure, they were aimed at Baby Boomers and they were brilliant ads... Just a little too late to capture the Boomers, and the quality of the Cadillac line just wasn't enough to capture the older Gen Xers, who grew up with memories of their grandparents' Cadillac "boats"...

The Stephen Merchant ad, to which I think Dequindre was referring, was fantastic... He's a little bit more than a "hipster." He's a writing partner of Ricky Gervais, having written for both the British & American versions of The Office & Ricky Gervais' "solo" programs in both countries, as well as Hello Ladies, his own program, where he plays a "character" very similar to the one in the Cadillac ad... And the G. Love song, Come Up Man, fits perfectly... Humorous ads like that should be sprinkled in with ads like this:

I like these latest Cadillac offerings. They will not stand out like the Zep ads, but then again, very few car ads ever made do. The Breakthrough ad was one of the best car commercials ever, and it still did very little for the brand sales-wise, but I do think it did raise awareness of the brand, even if the actual cars weren't enough to capture buyers. They now have the product. I believe they should keep up with the sophisticated ads, just keep adding to them... Or do a quasi-follow up to the Zep ads, this time using Van Halen's (The only band that could follow Led Zep) Unchained or Panama (Opening music & first verse could be used from either), to show their rebellious American side...

Just my opinion.
I was thinking of the ATS Coupe ad where the guy thinks that the women are checking him out. That commercial really doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I was thinking of the ATS Coupe ad where the guy thinks that the women are checking him out. That commercial really doesn't do anything for me.
This is the ad to which I was referring... I think it's the same ad. I think this is a well done, tongue-in-cheek spot that hits home to the audience they want:

And it's light years ahead of the mumbling McConaughey ads peddling Lincolns, which got parodied in the latest South Park episode:

:lmao:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
And it's light years ahead of the mumbling McConaughey ads peddling Lincolns, which got parodied in the latest South Park episode
I like the original better...

Reactions: Dequindre

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
This is the ad to which I was referring... I think it's the same ad. I think this is a well done, tongue-in-cheek spot that hits home to the audience they want:

And it's light years ahead of the mumbling McConaughey ads peddling Lincolns, which got parodied in the latest South Park episode:

:lmao:
Those ads are doing wonders for Lincoln. They may be a little stupid, but they're bringing attention to the brand through outlets where Lincoln would not normally advertise.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Insightful :)
Indeed.

Now THAT is Cadillac! :drive:

One tactic Caddy could use, except it's too psyop and creative for them to even conceive of, is to buy say 1000 MB, Audi, and Bimmahs and distribute them to guys who are going to pimp them to the max.

Spread the wealth. Caddy's image would automatically upgrade when people started seeing the uber-kewl Germans pimped liked Caddys have been for generations now. :lmao:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get what you're going for, but no. Not that music. The backdrop, no.

Better. Only some of it, obviously.
I dig this a lot, may use it soon.
Thanks to the original poster for sharing! Video was based around the photoshoot itself for the wheel/ground effects co.
Customer wanted graffitti to have the dirty dingy background and the clean beauty of the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts