GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is this the Turbo 2016 Chevy Camaro Convertible? [Spied]
TFLCar.com

TFLcar spies the top secret 2016 Chevy Camaro prototype. This test car has a very peculiar additional camouflage covering the entire roof. There was another sighting of the next generation Camaro without the roof cover. Could this be the Convertible?

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I was wondering in earlier pics why the rear of the roof was disguised so heavily, didn't realize it was the vert. I also like those wheels!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
I don't think it's a convertible. It looks like the same thing we've been seeing all along. Enlarged the photos and got out the magnifying glass, I still say no convertible.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Not a vert. You can see white under the roof covering above and behind the door,including around the quarter window.
Ed

·
Registered
920 Posts
A turbo-4 is a no-brainer really, pushing at least 270hp should move the car along quite nicely. It works well for the (possibly?) heavier ATS. Why wouldn't it work for a (lighter?) Camaro? Seems like Ford's 2.3L Ecoboost will fit well for the Mustang, when the old 4.6L modular was pushing between 225-280hp (depending on year), and 320~ for DOHC models. My, have times changed :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
I see two additional body lines one that runs to the hip and another below the door handle mid way up the door it ends before the big hip. I think the camo camaro(try saying that 3x straight) has a bland look on purpose and the boring renders are most definitely wrong. : )

·
Super Moderator
14,203 Posts
I don't know how they figure this is a convertible? Looks like all the rest of the 6th gens we've seen.

I do like these wheels better than what has been seen on the Nurburgring spied prototypes.
I agree. I like these wheels too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's a lot of real estate between the rear window and the rear of the side window. Also, there still appears to be camo hiding how tall the side windows are going to be. First reaction to the top pic was it does look smaller (tidier), but then its probably an optical illusion. Though I hope not.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Going to be awhile before we see the real deal. A report today from "USA Today:
"Chevy hasn't provided any teaser photos of the 2016 Camaro, and says it doesn't plan to unveil the car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. In fact, Chevy says, it hasn't decided where the next-gen car will make its debut."

Smells like late changes to the program.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A turbo-4 is a no-brainer really, pushing at least 270hp should move the car along quite nicely. It works well for the (possibly?) heavier ATS. Why wouldn't it work for a (lighter?) Camaro? Seems like Ford's 2.3L Ecoboost will fit well for the Mustang, when the old 4.6L modular was pushing between 225-280hp (depending on year), and 320~ for DOHC models. My, have times changed :D
Heavier ATS?

(Getting popcorn ready for the day 6th gen size and weights come out......gonna spend all day on various sites, just reading the reactions).

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I think the covering on the roof is an attempt to make it look closer in size to the current gen. When the 6th gen comes out I think well see its a bit smaller in all dimensions. My guess is height will drop 1/2-1".

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Heavier ATS?

(Getting popcorn ready for the day 6th gen size and weights come out......gonna spend all day on various sites, just reading the reactions).
It's gonna be a bit heavier for sure. Too much performance stuff, heavier wheels, wider, etc.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Unimpressive - high belt line only dooms what could have been - more WWII pillbox seating position - or driving looking out a door mail slot.

·
Registered
19,658 Posts
Going to be awhile before we see the real deal. A report today from "USA Today:
"Chevy hasn't provided any teaser photos of the 2016 Camaro, and says it doesn't plan to unveil the car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. In fact, Chevy says, it hasn't decided where the next-gen car will make its debut."

Smells like late changes to the program.
Are you thinking something to do with the Mustang?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Are you thinking something to do with the Mustang?
Not necessarily. The new Stang has a hard time holding its own against the current gen Camaro except for a better interior. Leads one to believe though that it would have something to do with an appearance change inside or out. If it were mechanicals it seems they would show the car. After all they showed the current Gen almost 2 years before it came out.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,687 Posts
If this is a convertible Camaro, I'm sure the structural development is directly tied to the forthcoming ATS(CT2) convertible.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Those were the cars we first saw spied, don't know why they think they're convertibles. That was just hiding the redesigned quarter windows and a slightly more fastbacked roof.

Yes, those wheels are very nice. :cool: They look like they're related to IROC rims. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts