1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler closing west coast design center
Posted Mar 7th 2008 10:12PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Chrysler

Word just came down from on high that Chrysler will be closing its Pacifica Advanced Product Design Center in Carlsbad, California. We received word about the shuttering of Chrysler's West Coast design operations about 20 minutes ago, on a Friday night, so we're assuming that the Pentastar people were trying to fly this one under the wire.

Regardless, the full release is available after the jump and, much like Nissan's recent departure from the land of fake-bakes and palm trees, it might not bode well for the future of Chrysler's stylist offerings, but it speak volumes about Cerberus' ongoing efforts to downsize the automaker's overhead. As always, we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
This means Chrysler should remain relatively safe when California finally self-destructs...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Car companies, vacating California is a big mistake -- as Nissan found out.
Not in all cases. For example, Lincoln-Mercury moving back to MI from Irvine was a pretty smart move if you ask me... the mistake was settling in SoCal in the first place.

·
Premium Member
36,183 Posts
This means Chrysler should remain relatively safe when California finally self-destructs...
Indeed.

This is a sign of improving mental health and reality checks at ChryCo.

Nobody in likeCalman government has noticed, since they're so busy passing draconian anti-citizen laws, but rational high-achievers are vacating the Peoples Democratik Republik of Kalifornee by the thousands.

Meanwhile, Aaaahhnie the Austrian can appoint himself fuhrer and rule over whoever's left.

Smart move by Chrysler. :yup:

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Curious, isn't it, how Americans want to live in America.

Nearly 3.5 million more people may move out of California than may move in between 1995 and 2005. That makes California the number-one state people will try to get away from during that decade. New York may come in second, potentially losing about 2 million in the same period. Since these are populous states, they naturally have large pools of potential movers. Yet when net domestic outmigration is figured as a percent of the total state population, they still top the list of losers.

The net migration loss for the Golden and Empire States between 1995 and 2005 may be equivalent to 11 percent of their 1995 populations. To get an idea of the magnitude of this, imagine California and New York as they would be if births and immigration weren't taking up the slack--completely uninhabited by 2087.

No other states are expected to see such a profound exodus, either in absolute numbers or as a percent of state population. The next three states for absolute loss--Illinois, Michigan, and New Jersey--may have 602,000, 380,000, and 294,000 more outmigrants than inmigrants, respectively. But the three together will have only 61 percent of the net outmigration of New York alone.
source

·
Premium Member
36,183 Posts
If they did the Pacifica at Pacifica maybe it is better they do it in D-town
So they should rename it the MoTown'a, and don't kill it.
Although Deetroit is the murder capital for 2007 IIRC.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Curious, isn't it, how Americans want to live in America.

Nearly 3.5 million more people may move out of California than may move in between 1995 and 2005. That makes California the number-one state people will try to get away from during that decade. New York may come in second, potentially losing about 2 million in the same period. Since these are populous states, they naturally have large pools of potential movers. Yet when net domestic outmigration is figured as a percent of the total state population, they still top the list of losers.

The net migration loss for the Golden and Empire States between 1995 and 2005 may be equivalent to 11 percent of their 1995 populations. To get an idea of the magnitude of this, imagine California and New York as they would be if births and immigration weren't taking up the slack--completely uninhabited by 2087.

No other states are expected to see such a profound exodus, either in absolute numbers or as a percent of state population. The next three states for absolute loss--Illinois, Michigan, and New Jersey--may have 602,000, 380,000, and 294,000 more outmigrants than inmigrants, respectively. But the three together will have only 61 percent of the net outmigration of New York alone.
source
That article is from October, 1997. It was speculating on what would happen during the 1995-2005 period.

Since 2005 is now behind us, no need to look at forecasts from 1997. There's actual data.

Wikipedia quoting U.S. Census Bureau said:
By 2007, California's population has reached 37,700,000, making it the most populated state, and is the 13th fastest-growing state. This includes a natural increase since the last census of 1,909,368 people (that is 3,375,297 births minus 1,465,929 deaths) and an increase due to net migration of 774,198 people into the state. Immigration from outside the United States resulted in a net increase of 1,724,790 people, and migration within the country produced a net decrease of 950,592.
The last census was in 2000.

Which means that 950,000 people left California for other states during the 2000-2007 period.

Your quote said:

"Nearly 3.5 million more people may move out of California than may move in between 1995 and 2005. That makes California the number-one state people will try to get away from during that decade."

Looks like, in hindsight, that figure was way overinflated...

·
Premium Member
36,183 Posts
That article is from October, 1997. It was speculating on what would happen during the 1995-2005 period.

Since 2005 is now behind us, no need to look at forecasts from 1997. There's actual data.

The last census was in 2000.

Which means that 950,000 people left California for other states during the 2000-2007 period.

Your quote said:

"Nearly 3.5 million more people may move out of California than may move in between 1995 and 2005. That makes California the number-one state people will try to get away from during that decade."

Looks like, in hindsight, that figure was way overinflated...
Perhaps they didn't anticipate the mexiforniacation of the state, regarding total pop.
If certain people were carrying out their job descriptions as they swore on their sacred honor over the holy bible, population in the peoples republic might well be decreasing.

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County ( L. A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal , whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County. )

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.
Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration.
29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

This was from an email I got claiming the info came from from the L. A. Times. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I'm sure plenty of them are true which is a good reason to vacate the area in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Perhaps they didn't anticipate the mexiforniacation of the state, regarding total pop.
If certain people were carrying out their job descriptions as they swore on their sacred honor over the holy bible, population in the peoples republic might well be decreasing.
My number (negative 950,000) was the net result of inter-state migration... it's the number of Americans who move to CA minus the number of Californians who move to the other 49 states. Which means it has nothing to do with the flood of Mexicans...

well... let me correct that. It has nothing to do, directly, with the flood of Mexicans (i.e. it's a totally separate and distinct number).

"Immigration from outside the United States resulted in a net increase of 1,724,790 people, and migration within the country produced a net decrease of 950,592."

Come to think of it, I should have left the first part out of the quote (which said total pop. was up)... it's not related to the topic at hand, which is that more Americans are leaving CA than coming in. The only point on which HoosierRon's article and my source don't agree is the intensity of the CA draining...

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
1. 40% of all workers in L. A. County ( L. A. County has 10.2 million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This is because they are predominantly illegal immigrants working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal , whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 35% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L. A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L. A. County 5.1 million people speak English, 3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L. A. County. )

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops, but 29% are on welfare.
Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth (and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York) results from immigration.
29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

This was from an email I got claiming the info came from from the L. A. Times. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I'm sure plenty of them are true which is a good reason to vacate the area in my opinion.

Ouch...

If you're paying taxes to the state of California... you're being screwed big time.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Ouch...

If you're paying taxes to the state of California... you're being screwed big time.
I like how he says 5.1 M speak English, 3.9 M speak Spanish, as if this is some sort of bad thing. Only in America would someone consider to speak only one language a good thing. Should be 6 M speak English and 6 M speak Spanish.;)

Mexifornia? California WAS part of Mexico and so was Texas... what is wrong with the Mexicans, they are cool. Now when you have illegal immigration, obviously there is a lot of other illegalities that come with that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
...what is wrong with the Mexicans, they are cool.
I have nothing against law-abiding, tax-paying, English-speaking Mexicans... I'm probably not alone...

Actually FWIW I did spend a short part of my life in California and back then my best friend in CA was a Mexican. (Born in CA to legally immigrated parents and culturally American... he didn't even speak Spanish that well.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts