GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car was sold. :( ignore thread.

above: rough idea of what it looks like (not as nice, cloth seats I think too:()
2000 Olds Alero GL Coupe 2d

"good condition" 3200$

mileage 109000
engine: 4-cyl; 2.4 L
trans: auto
fwd (obviously)

air conditioning, power steering/windows/locks, tilt wheel, cruise control, am/fm/stereo cassette, dual front air bags, ABS 4 wheel, traction controll, compact disc (CD), power seta, rear spoiler

what do you think its worth, 2300?

Is it worth purchasing?

I *NEED* a car from October 2008 - March 2008 until I get the 2009 Cobalt SS turbo.

I figure I'll sell it for cheap to my brother/sister in h.s. if I get it...what do you guys thinK?

WHAT ARE THE ISSUES WITH THIS ENGINE/CAR? Anything I should worry about?

CobaltSS

EDIT: Mom drives Maxx in winter so need a car for winter clinicals (november-march) minimally. THIS car is priced at 3200 for sale by owner. how far down do you think it should be priced and I should offer if indeed its been upkept maintinence wise and in no accidents when I check it out...?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up. Are you getting rid of your Maxx? Can you not just keep the Maxx until you get the Cobalt SS?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Blue Book is 3400 in "good condition"

Have it checked out make sure its "mechanically sound", if not its a good way to work the price down.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Is the Alero 2.2L is the same/similar to the one currently used in the Cobalt?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Is the Alero 2.2L is the same/similar to the one currently used in the Cobalt?

Cobalt's car in question has the Quad Four, not the Eco Tec...

As for issues to look for on that car...

Water pump leaks...

front wheel bearings...

control arm bushings...

window regulator issues...

hvac blower resistor...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Water pump leaks...

thats a fun one, along with the t-stat

that was pure sarcasm just in case it was missed

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
No wonder people think of GM cars as worthless crap...

No way you'll ever be able to touch a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe or 2000 Toyota Camry Solara with 109000 miles, 4 cyl/auto, FWD (obviously), air conditioning, power steering/windows/locks, tilt wheel, cruise control, am/fm/stereo cassette, dual front air bags, ABS 4 wheel, traction control, compact disc (CD), power seats, rear spoiler for $2,300. Or even $3,200.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
If the car is in good shape I'd say that $3,000 would be OK. I'd offer $2,500 if everything check out. If he balks at the offer then you can negotiate.

No way you'll ever be able to touch a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe or 2000 Toyota Camry Solara with 109000 miles, 4 cyl/auto, FWD (obviously), air conditioning, power steering/windows/locks, tilt wheel, cruise control, am/fm/stereo cassette, dual front air bags, ABS 4 wheel, traction control, compact disc (CD), power seats, rear spoiler for $2,300. Or even $3,200.
That is so sad and true.:(

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I was never a big fan of the 4 cylinders in these cars and I always preferred the 6 cylinder versions. As for the price I would start by offering $2500 for it and if he does not like the offer then try and negotiate with him. Also take the car out for a test drive (if the owner lets you) before you buy it and listen for anything out of the ordinary

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
find a Corsica :D
Those are always stupid dirt cheap :)

Sides you only need something to last half a year right?
You can junk it right after its run its course

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i have always liked the alero but not the 4cly ones. the 2.4l motor is a good motor the only real proplem is the water pump. if the cars in good shape go for it. i picked up a 98 cavalier for my winter/bad weather car to keep miles and wear off my g5. i paid 500 for it nothing wrong with it and i fill it about every 3 weeks haha.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If it's not a manual then what is the point of getting a 4cyl?

Oh and btw, I wish I could consider a 3,000 dollar car a beater. :(

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cobalt's car in question has the Quad Four, not the Eco Tec...

As for issues to look for on that car...

Water pump leaks...

front wheel bearings...

control arm bushings...

window regulator issues...

hvac blower resistor...
Thank You GMC! I will look into those since I have a engineer in the family. Do these problems show up typically in the quad four at 110k miles?

CobaltSS

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
hell, I got my caprice wagon with 130000 miles for 2,900...just got all out and get the V8 RWD! =)

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how bad is a water pump leak? I assume it makes the car stop running? How much does it cost to replace (labor/parts/all costs included) in case it has that problem? When does that start to show up?

CobaltSS

PS: Bouda, did not mean to offend you, but I do consider a car with 110k miles thats 8 years old inferior next to a brand new turbo DI fully loaded SS Chevrolet...but its not as bad as my 1991 Buick Park Ave Ultra with 180k miles! (THAT WAS A DAMN GOOD CAR TOO! :) )

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

For $3,200, I think you could do a lot worse.

I really don't see many eight-year old, four-cylinder Camrys or Accords with >100K miles selling for amounts much different from this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts