GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few blemishes in my otherwise near-perfect 1985 Cadillac Eldorado is that the headliner sags just a bit.

It's only a minor sag, so I'm wondering if there's any simple way to fix it, i.e. by loosening a corner of the roof, stretching the headliner, then tightening the corner again.

Does that make sense? Is there any other common way to fix this problem that you folks know of?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had a small sag in my old Corsica, I used an Iron. I held a towel on the headliner than Ironed over the spot, it made the glue tacky and it stuck back up there... but dont try this trick because about a month later it came back even bigger. Just take off the trim and spary in some 3M spay adhesive and smooth it out, that worked for me.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LGRPup!

So, if I understand you correctly, I need to take off the trim pieces holding the headliner in place, spray the underside of the headliner, smooth it back on to the roof, put the trim pieces back, and I'm good to go.

Is that right?

·
Registered
922 Posts
That worked for me, but you gotta be carefull when you stick it up or it will be all wrinkled. Take your time and smooth it toward the trim area so any extra fabric will be covered. Good luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
In order to properly fix it, you must do the following. Buy new headliner material. Pull off the old material, making sure to get all the old foam off, and reaply the new material with the proper glue. I've been through this many times, and it is the ONLY way to do it.

Here is a link with more info:

http://countryfolk.org/headliner/hl.shtml

·
Registered
922 Posts
Your right, but the right way is not always the simple way ;)

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just looking for a quick-fix anyway until I have some time and money to invest in fixing it properly, so I'll see if I can get anywhere with LGRpup's idea, then fix it the right way when I get a chance.

I really appreciate the advice guys. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used a light-duty staple gun on my less-than-concours condition 3rd gen Camaro. Low-tech & ugly, but it worked very well! :eatarrow:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by PaleGreen@Apr 5 2004, 03:36 PM
I used a light-duty staple gun on my less-than-concours condition 3rd gen Camaro. Low-tech & ugly, but it worked very well! :eatarrow:
used to have some paperclips in the ceiling of the minivan before we got rid of it...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle+Apr 5 2004, 07:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr_Pringle @ Apr 5 2004, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PaleGreen@Apr 5 2004, 03:36 PM
I used a light-duty staple gun on my less-than-concours condition 3rd gen Camaro. Low-tech & ugly, but it worked very well!  :eatarrow:
used to have some paperclips in the ceiling of the minivan before we got rid of it... [/b][/quote]
Paper clips this is a new one. I think everyone who has this problem has tried the thumb tack method, untill they are painfully reminded that it isnt a great idea. I think I still have scars on my arsse, it took me a while to realize tacks are no good.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If your looking for an easy way out, there really isn't one. Most "easy" methods won't work more than a week or look like a$$. Fortunately the "right" way is fairly easy. :D

-T

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by LGRpup+Apr 5 2004, 11:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LGRpup @ Apr 5 2004, 11:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 07:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-PaleGreen
@Apr 5 2004, 03:36 PM
I used a light-duty staple gun on my less-than-concours condition 3rd gen Camaro. Low-tech & ugly, but it worked very well!   :eatarrow:

used to have some paperclips in the ceiling of the minivan before we got rid of it...
Paper clips this is a new one. I think everyone who has this problem has tried the thumb tack method, untill they are painfully reminded that it isnt a great idea. I think I still have scars on my arsse, it took me a while to realize tacks are no good. [/b][/quote]
To quote the first George Bush when he was asked about replacing the headliner in the Presidential Limo:

Read my lips: no new tacks!
... :D

...get it? :huh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts