GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgot to post this two weeks ago, but seeing as no one else has (that I can see, anyway), I thought to finally do it. Better late than never!

Is Saab defunct? Not at this dealership
Store aims to serve orphaned customers with parts, service, cars

Richard Truett
Automotive News
December 29, 2014

Nearly all Saab dealers reached a dead end after the Swedish brand's bankruptcy in 2011. But not Park Ave Saab in Maywood, N.J.

The dealership, about 10 miles from Manhattan, bought the customer lists of several defunct Saab dealerships in the New York City area.

Then it moved into a closed Suzuki store and started courting Saab drivers in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. With ads, service coupons and emails, it offers readily available parts, service and a selection of low-mileage used Saabs.

Die-hard loyalists

There are more than 10,000 Saab owners in the New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania area, according to the customer lists, giving Park Ave a solid customer base.

The store's used-car and parts-and-service business has been strong, said Morrissey. In 2014, the store has:

• Averaged monthly sales of between 30 and 50 mostly high-end used cars.

• Billed between 600 and 700 hours per month in the service department. Park Ave employs two full-time technicians and a service writer.

• Boosted its parts business by targeting Saab owners and independent repair shops.

The store is posting a monthly operating profit of between $20,000 and $50,000 after all the bills, rent and wages are paid, said Morrissey, who has sold Saabs since the late 1980s.
Clock is ticking

Morrissey said he can sell all the Saabs he can get that were built in 2008 and later. He scours the Internet daily, goes to auctions and buys late-model Saabs from other dealers. He buys Saabs from all over the country and ships them to New Jersey. He also ships used Saabs to other states and to Europe.
CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

Park Ave Saab-Lotus in Maywood, New Jersey:

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Good news and nice story for Saab-philes.

Always loved Saab and wished they were still in business. Though it may be a long shot, I hope that Mahindra & Mahindra end up purchasing the brand from NEVS and are able to reboot the marque. It would be a great brand for Mahindra, especially to gain wider acceptance in Western markets.

Plus, if it's done right, it would certainly be a boon to lots of Saab fans out there who are loyal to the brand. And judging from this article, there is still a small, but loyal group of folks out there still holding a candle out for the brand.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool. Are they allowed to used a Saab sign?
I'm not sure, but I've seen a number of former Saab dealers in the area that have some kind of signage up to attract former customers in for service.

Since Saab USA was technically a separate entity from the mother-company in Sweden (and I think they're also bankrupt), I'm imagining that it's okay. If not and these dealers are violating the law, then NEVS would have to exercise their right to stop them from using the signs --- and considering they haven't got money to keep the lights on in Trollhattan, I'm guessing they have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Bah, that's nothing. Brook's Imported Cars in Lansing is still open and still has sales, parts, and service for Alfa Romeo and British Leyland products...they still have their outdoor sign from the '80s up. My best buddy shopped them for parts for his MG Midget not that long ago. They don't have a website (which seems very odd) but I found them with Google Maps Streetview (link below)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brooks+Imported+Cars/@42.7685348,-84.5970687,3a,75y,39.29h,85.16t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shF_PJ5385j0jXSmBFAEhQA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x343c9bf44083c0f1!6m1!1e1

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I just saw a 2011 9-5 today. I'm not a SAAB fan, but that is one looker! IMHO the best SAAB sedan ever!

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Though it may be a long shot, I hope that Mahindra & Mahindra end up purchasing the brand from NEVS and are able to reboot the marque.
NEVS does not own the brand - SAAB is a brand of SAAB AB, the aerospace and defense company. They let SAAB Automobile and their successors use the brand, but this is it. They made it apparent they will let any company that builds proper Saab cars in Trollhattan use the brand.

The griffin logo was the logo of Scania (the truck brand) - it is actually the coat of arms of the Swedish region of Scania (Skåne), where Scania was originally founded [as a sidenote, Scania has nothing to do with Scania anymore, their production hub and HQ is in Södertälje south of Stockholm]. It became Saab's logo when the Wallenberg family's Investor AB brought Saab and Scania together as Saab-Scania AB. Scania is now part of VAG and after Saab was liquidated by GM, the agreement to let it continue use the logo lapsed.

Those are Saab's original logos along with the story until 2010:

(Vabis atop is a now-forgotten company folded into Scania, and the one from Södertälje, where Scania ended up moving. Saab's engines have been made in Södertälje until 2009, when the old production lines of the immortal B-series engines were uprooted and moved to China to BAIC).

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Bah, that's nothing. Brook's Imported Cars in Lansing is still open and still has sales, parts, and service for Alfa Romeo and British Leyland products...they still have their outdoor sign from the '80s up. My best buddy shopped them for parts for his MG Midget not that long ago. They don't have a website (which seems very odd) but I found them with Google Maps Streetview (link below)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brooks+Imported+Cars/@42.7685348,-84.5970687,3a,75y,39.29h,85.16t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shF_PJ5385j0jXSmBFAEhQA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x343c9bf44083c0f1!6m1!1e1
You can still buy brand-new bodyshells for some of the old BL models, MG Midget and MGB as well as chassis and body panels for Triumphs.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
I just saw a 2011 9-5 today. I'm not a SAAB fan, but that is one looker! IMHO the best SAAB sedan ever!
You need to purchase my old (leased) 2011 9-5.

My buyout with Ally was $29500. I offered $23000 and they refused - would not even consider an offer. So they auctioned it off to the trade, receiving much less - as it is currently offered for sale at $19,000.

While I love my Volt, I do miss what was my 6th, and last Saab.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts

Re: The Saab 9-4X

An INCREDIBLE waste of engineering and development capex letting this vehicle die.

Production was stopped just months after Job One.

Without a doubt, the 9-4X should have been turned into a Buick - with royalties paid to Saab if necessary.

It is only now, five years later, that Buick will get a mid-sized CUV.

What a waste.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
$30k for that 9-4x is way too much. There truly must be some diehard loyalists out there

1 - 20 of 27 Posts