1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
Tata has historically been one of the best run conglomerates in the world.
I'm sure they've got an overarching strategic plan here.
It's just going to take some time before all is revealed.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Ratan Tata is an extremely shrewd businessman and the Tata Group is one of the world's most respected conglomerates because if its success at the hands of extremely effective management.

Sahib Tata drives a Tata Indica and lives in a one-room apartment in an ordinary section of Mumbai.

Given the company's track record over the past half century, I'd reckon Tata will manage the JLR acquisition successfully.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Tata has historically been one of the best run conglomerates in the world.
I'm sure they've got an overarching strategic plan here.
It's just going to take some time before all is revealed.
Agreed -- I don't think we've seen all of Tata's automotive ambitions yet. This Pininfarina stake seems to imply they have plans for other high-end vehicles which could potentially spread the R&D investments at Jaguar and LR over a wider base. Should be interesting...

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Agreed -- I don't think we've seen all of Tata's automotive ambitions yet. This Pininfarina stake seems to imply they have plans for other high-end vehicles
That was one of the first things that came to my mind as well. I got to thinking that they must be up to something after purchasing shares in the above companies. It will be very interesting to watch everything as time progresses.

-Chase

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
Agreed -- I don't think we've seen all of Tata's automotive ambitions yet. This Pininfarina stake seems to imply they have plans for other high-end vehicles which could potentially spread the R&D investments at Jaguar and LR over a wider base. Should be interesting...
Could you imagine a Pininfarina designed Jaguar??? :eek::eek:
We already know Tata has a desire to move Land Rover into the $150K+ market. And Ford's plan was to move Jaguar further into that segment. This might be one piece of the puzzle.

A high-end only automaker would certainly be a challenger to BMW-Rolls and Mercedes-Maybach. As well as Audi-Bentley-(Bugatti-Lambo).

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Could you imagine a Pininfarina designed Jaguar??? :eek::eek:
We already know Tata has a desire to move Land Rover into the $150K+ market. And Ford's plan was to move Jaguar further into that segment. This might be one piece of the puzzle.

A high-end only automaker would certainly be a challenger to BMW-Rolls and Mercedes-Maybach. As well as Audi-Bentley-(Bugatti-Lambo).
oh yeah.... :dro: My imagination had gone there and back. I had also thought about Pininfarina getting their hands on LR... again, something that could see really interesting results under the proper design house (albeit they are not doing anything wrong with their designs at the time being). Huzzah!

-Chase

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My guess is that Tata is trying to establish itself as a more global retail auto brand in general. They figure that owning Jaguar and Land Rover will help them get their foot in the door of markets they currently have no existence. As far as I know Tata sell NO cars in Europe, South America, or North America. Basically they have Asia, Australia and Africa?? I also get the impression that they are a very industrial sorta auto company. They know how to build stuff and even build stuff for commercial sale, but have only limited marketing and retail sorta presence in automotive. They do OK with retail passenger cars in India, but India's car market is different in a big way from most western markets. The Indica they sell there is kinda the first car ever designed in India and is really not competitive with any similar cars sold in Europe or North America. They aimed even lower with the Nano, but I think they would really like to become a more serious Auto manufacturer and are looking for some western help. So they have kinda purchased that western help in buying JLR. I am sure they will invest well in JLR to keep them successful, but I think they are also going to ask a lot of JLR in the form of help in getting Tata to have a presence outside of India as an Auto brand.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
As a side note, I agree that Tata is a well run company, but Jaguar and Land Rover are going to be some of the first companies in Tata's control that have actual marketing and point of sale presence in western markets. If they are looking to run Jag and Land Rover rather than learn from them they will have troubles. If they want to learn how to give tata more of a marketing and point of sale presence in western markets from JLR they will probably be successful if JLR can actually successfully communicate such knowledge to them.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to have my own company as Mr. Tata but considering the turmoil happening in the US economy that in the long run will be felt globally and with the stricter US regulations coming to the US and considering that Mr Tata bought 2 brands that will need a lot of investement or pay the fines but it will be interesting to see if he can achieve a positive turnaround or goes bust

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
Giugiaro-ItalDesign close enuf?

Never seen those designs before.
I googled, and found that Pininfarina did some design studies to replace teh XJ12. That would put it in the mid-1970's.

Interesting though. The grille is similar to the mid-90's grilles.

As a side note, I agree that Tata is a well run company, but Jaguar and Land Rover are going to be some of the first companies in Tata's control that have actual marketing and point of sale presence in western markets.
Meh. THey've done very very well with Tetley Tea.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Never seen those designs before.
I googled, and found that Pininfarina did some design studies to replace teh XJ12. That would put it in the mid-1970's.

Interesting though. The grille is similar to the mid-90's grilles.

Meh. THey've done very very well with Tetley Tea.
That Italdesign concept was later bought by Toyota, it became the first GS300.

As for that Pininfarina Jag it just looks like a bad copy of a contemporary Maserati Quattroporte...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
The one thing about companies Tata acquires is that Tata allows them to be run more or less autonomously. So as long as the companies are well-run within the conglomerate, Tata will not be stretched thin. Now, I'd question whether Jaguar is well-run over the past few years, but they finally seem to be moving in the right direction after a decade of false starts and bad decisions. Land Rover is already doing well, and additional capital investment and more models will help them further if they can manage to not dilute the brand by going below the LR2.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.