GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,426 Posts
Originally posted by Rabbit@Mar 21 2004, 04:51 AM
I've seen a fouled one of these. I hope they got the bugs worked out on the newer ones.
I don't see how one could have fouled. There is not coolant running through them, so it's not like anything inside of them is under pressure. The only thing I could see is someone making smacking a wrech or something off of one of the runners or something and then cracking it.

Ford's modular motors also use the composite intake, but they do have coolant running through them. Some of their earlier designs had problems cracking (such as my buddy with a 96 GT). I'm not sure when they switched, but the newer style has a cast section that's under pressure so it's not going to leak.

If you are worrying about the life of the "plastic" intake, don't.

· Registered
2,426 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 22 2004, 01:33 PM
I have heard that GM has had problems with these intakes particularly sealing. In fact, some motors will exhibit hydrostatic lock due to coolant loss into the cylinders.
Motor Magazine may have been the source.
As I mentioned above, the Gen III do not have coolant flowing through them - just air.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.