GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on the earlier models of the GM trucks they had a optional feature of quadrasteer. I'd really think it would be useful now because the newer trucks had got much larger and it is difficult to get around in city's in them because of the newer trucks wheelbases had got longer over the years and this results difficult ways to get arround. I think they should bring the idea back and use it on the next generation of trucks. Anyone has any idea why they disappeared with the quadrasteer idea? and anyone has pros and cons with it?

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Anyone has any idea why they disappeared with the quadrasteer idea?
Sales were not good enough. While a novel idea, it was a very costly option and the benefits did not outweigh the upfront costs to enough buyers. I have thought about GM bringing it back, but it has to be a cheaper option and potentially standard on certain vehicles (that aren't just the Denali) in order to increase interest.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Yes. Add more technology for Pete's sake.

You're down a 360 camera, a pano sunroof, and "perceived" tech with the F150's aluminum body and EcoBoost line.

Do something, like add... useable technology!

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
They absolutely should. There's actually room above the Denali (with the Yukons speicifcally, I mean) for something like a Denali Elite or whatever.
Denali Elite would be an easy way of accomplishing it without explicitly diminishing the Denali brand, but I was thinking more along the lines of a clearer model separation. Elite is also a pretty common and pretty widely applicable uplevel trim term.

Feelin some Aurora as a really luxury-heavy trim.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts

Bring back Pontiac.

Bring back El Camino.

Bring back Quadra-Steer.

#3 is the one connected to reality and advantage. Have the leaps in technology since QS originally came out made price reduction possible?

Methinks not. Otherwise someone quicker on the draw than GM would've done it already. Besides bus companies, that is.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

Bring back Pontiac.

Bring back El Camino.

Bring back Quadra-Steer.

#3 is the one connected to reality and advantage. Have the leaps in technology since QS originally came out made price reduction possible?

Methinks not. Otherwise someone quicker on the draw than GM would've done it already. Besides bus companies, that is.
BMW's money-making price for their Integral Active Steering is under $2,000.

People pay that much for postage stamp-sized Blu-Ray players and bad headrests.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Better: The 2016 GMC Yukon Denali WithwhippedcreamANDacherry Edition.
Sold, to the man in the ice cream truck with the sus mustache.

Only reason it was expensive at first was the requirements for five additional options. By the end it was a stand alone option for like $1800 IIRC.
I'll believe that price. BMW's is $1750.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I would like the 2 MODE hybrid drive updated and brought back and offered on an "affordable" truck trim and say the 5.3L OR the V6 engine for some serious FE gains
and for quadrasteer I believe there is parts issues to the point that a lot of then are getting disconnected totally + I recall it being NOT very easy to work on and prone to faults
like most "1.0" version tech

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I feel like calling a dealer and asking the parts desk if things like the rear steering rack and wheel bearings are available.

It's one of the few full size trucks I wouldn't mind owning

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder with the changes to electronic power steering could make this more feasible versus what I assume was hydraulic lines ran all the way back to the rear?

In any event, the electric power steering technology should have progressed to where it is easier to do.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I was never impressed/interested w/ Quadrasteer. We only ever sold two of them. As mentioned, they were very expensive. They also added weight and reduced payload... two things you DO NOT want in the current competitive truck market. Also, I have heard repeatedly that when the rear hubs fail (which they almost inevitably will), you're basically SOL because no one makes that hub anymore and the standard hub won't work with it. You need to disable Quadrasteer.
What I do miss was the Composite Pick Up Box!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
The Quadrasteer option was great. My cousin bought two trucks equipped with it, and still has one of them with relatively low miles (about 45k). His trucks were bought to tow his boat, and they did it well. It's true that parts are scarcely available at this time, because of the low take rate. But I do believe that there would be a market for Quadrasteer now if they were able to keep the option at around $2,000. The old QS trucks have kept their value, as those who have owned them in the past and like towing with them, buy up all the available lower mileage models almost immediately...

However, I do believe that GM no longer owns the rights to Quadrasteer, the name nor the technology...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts