GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of purchasing a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z71 4X4. The dealer details for the truck show 6 speed but when I ran the vin on a decoder it shows 4 Speed. How do I know exactly what Im getting. I was told I should get the 6 speed. Im not sure if I should go with the 4 or 6. Any help is much appreciated. 4 weeks of searching and my head is spinning.

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
They only came in 6 speeds, I believe at least for the CC. The extended cab had both trannys available. I will say this the VIN decoder if it's any good does not lie. You have a 4 speed transmission. If you don't like it then print it out and go find the guy who sold it to you. Force him to get you something else because he did lie to you.

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
A simple way is to drive it and count the gearshifts the truck makes to your top speed. Though by 100 miles an hour you should know. If it only makes 3 shifts then it's a 4 speed (you start at 1st). If it's 5 shifts then it's a 6 speed.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Drive a 2011/2012, then drive this one. Should be obvious after that. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Vin Decoders can be wrong, I've got an Envoy SLT on the lot, and an Envoy SLE on the website, I've only got 1 Envoy in the inventory, so you tell me whats going on.

But like the others said, drive it and see, it should be readily apparent.

Actually now that I think of it, any 6 speed auto on Silverado should have a toggle switch to upshift/downshift on the column shifter, so while you drive it, you should be able to play around and find out, I don't think the 4 speed had that, but I can't confirm that.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Actually now that I think of it, any 6 speed auto on Silverado should have a toggle switch to upshift/downshift on the column shifter, so while you drive it, you should be able to play around and find out, I don't think the 4 speed had that, but I can't confirm that.
If its got the buttons on the shifter its a six speed.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
floor it and count the shifts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
the 6 speed will have PRNDM and when you put it in manual mode, you can up shift it with the buttons on the shifter. you can see what gear you are in on the DIC so shift it through the gears when you test drive it.

4 speed will have PRND321. I believe. it may even have a manual mode as well, but obviously you will only have 4 gears to choose than 6.

as far as 6 being better than 4, mehhh. they are both good. only real problems we had with the 4L60E was reaction shells going out. havent really heard any issues with 6 speed, but im not a trans guy.

either will be good, 6 speed probably better as it will have better fuel economy and help with towing and all that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just test drove a 2013 and it was pretty cool. I like the shifting of the tranny, it was pretty smooth. didnt notice any thing out of the ordinary, I even shifted with the buttons. I shifted ftom M to D during the drive and no slam of gears during transition. Has anyone else notice anything out fo the ordinary?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The GM full size trucks that have a 6 speed will show P R N D M on the DIC
display shift indicator. Also the column shift lever will have a manual shift button on the side of the shift lever.

The 4 speeds will not have this manual shift button.
6 speeds in the 1/2 tons were phased in in 09? IIRC.

Only the 3/4-1 tons initially got the 6 speeds from 07 and up.

Put the gear shift in the M Mode and push the selector button and
see if it has 6 speed settings to be sure.............
You can check it while parked with engine running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you ask me I've been in both of them I have a 2003 Silverado 2500 with the four-speed and I've been in a 2007 classic 2500 with the 6-speed I've noticed the six-speed is faster to 0 to 60 but the four-speed seems like it does better at towing. But you would have to be counting to even notice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts