GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If not, I'd love to know what other company is run this poorly. I can scarcely believe some of the press releases and comments coming out of the Ren Cen on a daily basis.

I don't know how much longer the company can sustain itself under this kind of "management". Everything from non-existent long-term strategy to short term flip flopping. 8 brands in a single market.........half the cars competing in the same segment, 3rd rate advertising, terrible brand management...........honestly, I don't even know what's going on anymore.

You call this leadership??

While Ford still has product problems (very few to no class leading vehicles that I would buy), I see them making all the right moves and taking all the right steps to lay the foundation for a successful future. Nothing of the sort from GM which seems to be in self destruct mode of the "bigger they are, the harder they fall" variety.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
True, but remember that Rick Wagoner inherited this mess from Roger Smith, the worst CEO in the history of the automotive industry. The problem with American companies is that they only think in the short run, not in the long run.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
True, but remember that Rick Wagoner inherited this mess from Roger Smith, the worst CEO in the history of the automotive industry. The problem with American companies is that they only think in the short run, not in the long run.
But Roger Smith was ousted in 1991 or so. And in 1991 GM was doing... well near bankruptcy but major marketshare...

Then Stempel...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Worst run company? Probably not.

Worst run auto company? I think it's competing for bottom 3 at the very least.

It's not that they don't know what to do. It's that they haven't been able to modernize the corporate thinking, despite decades of trying. GM is dominated by a blundering corporate culture that hampers innovation, design, process, and management.

When GM is dead, there will be case studies from all over the world entitled, "How not to run a business."
And that's the harsh truth about it.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Their problems began in the 1960s. The boys just didn't think anybody could touch them.

They were wrong.

Many times, over the past 40 years.

A 100% total lack of insight is a turrible thing to see.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I agree that FoMoCo has a much clearer path than GM.

GM's brands are so mismanaged...

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Worst run company? Probably not.

Worst run auto company? I think it's competing for bottom 3 at the very least.

It's not that they don't know what to do. It's that they haven't been able to modernize the corporate thinking, despite decades of trying. GM is dominated by a blundering corporate culture that hampers innovation, design, process, and management.

When GM is dead, there will be case studies from all over the world entitled, "How not to run a business."
And that's the harsh truth about it.
Oh, I think General Von Piechenburg over at VW could give GM a few lessons in how NOT to run an automaker. If you think GM's brand overlap in the US is bad, go look at VW's in Europe. Hot. Tranny. Mess.

Chrysler's management is significantly worse. Although to be fair the Germans did a great job of totaling the once great automaker.

Ford's management didn't have a clue until Mulally showed up. Bill Ford and Mark Fields were this close to putting the company in the trash bin of history.

GM's management has been either mediocre or halfway decent. The product management has improved significantly. Manufacturing quality has improved significantly. The books have been cleaned up (i.e. the accounting errors corrected for), a new union contract that makes the company competitive and GM is growing rapidly internationally. But, they still haven't figured out how to clean up the mess is GMNA, from the brands to the product placement to the marketing... it's a cluster^*(*.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Ford problem started with Alex Trotman and the Ford 2000 plan and after a disastrous expansion under former Chief Executive Jacques Nasser in the late 1990s, Bill Ford wrested control of the company and sold off non-core operations. He forced out the head of Ford Motor Credit too, tightening lending terms five years ago and resisting the temptation to get into the mortgage business that had been so lucrative for GM's former captive finance company, GMAC. That conservatism meant Ford Credit probably missed out on the chance to reap its share of the housing boom three or four years ago, but it also avoided the ugly mortgage meltdown that followed. He got Fords quality up and he putted in the pipeline a lot of the products that are coming to the market now plus he started the 23 billion loan jsut before he got Mullaly on board , and atleast Bill had the guts to fire himself since he knew he needed someone to shake the old management attitude that was inside the Ford culture

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Oh, I think General Von Piechenburg over at VW could give GM a few lessons in how NOT to run an automaker. If you think GM's brand overlap in the US is bad, go look at VW's in Europe. Hot. Tranny. Mess.
Yup. Peich's an idiot.
ANd I"ve said that before and I'll repeat it over and over too.

Chrysler's management is significantly worse. Although to be fair the Germans did a great job of totaling the once great automaker.
They're clueless.

Ford's management didn't have a clue until Mulally showed up. Bill Ford and Mark Fields were this close to putting the company in the trash bin of history.
I am at the point now where I want to buy 500 shares of Ford.

GM's management has been either mediocre or halfway decent. The product management has improved significantly. Manufacturing quality has improved significantly. The books have been cleaned up (i.e. the accounting errors corrected for), a new union contract that makes the company competitive and GM is growing rapidly internationally. But, they still haven't figured out how to clean up the mess is GMNA, from the brands to the product placement to the marketing... it's a cluster^*(*.
GM's management was been great, if you want a do-nothing management team.
THe current team wants to change, but they don't know how. They cling to too much internal GM history that has proven ineffective.

I also think the entire board of directors needs to be ousted and replaced.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
For starters, for anyone who has studied at Wharton or with Wharton texts, there already IS a case study on GM, with the theme of 'how NOT to run a company'.

Secondly, Ford management from 1952-2006 is just as bad as GM, if not worse. Henry Ford II allowed Ford operations around the world and WITHIN DEARBORN to form these fiefdoms of influence, all of which refused to cooperate with each other.

Bill Ford had the right idea, but his subordinates would not tell him the truth of what was going on, and he didn't have the guts to play rough with people who were family friends for 50 years. Bill Ford fixed Ford Credit and Ford's quality control, but took Mulally, Fields, Kuzak, and Farley to right the rest of the ship.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
, Bill Ford had the right idea, but his subordinates would not tell him the truth of what was going on, and he didn't have the guts to play rough with people who were family friends for 50 years. Bill Ford fixed Ford Credit and Ford's quality control, but took Mulally, Fields, Kuzak, and Farley to right the rest of the ship.

I know you're a Ford fan, and that's fine. But I'm interested to know just how you believe Ford to be "fixed".

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
I'd say you could put the New York Times way, way ahead of GM, Ford, or Chrysler--or even Mercedes--on that Worst Managed list.

Give it a break. :yup:

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Leadership Structure
Jim Dollinger
Sunday, February 12, 2006

Waterfalls begin as raindrops
Avalanches begin as snowflakes
Bankruptcies begin with poor decisions

General Motors' current difficulties are the direct result of decades of poor decision making. Many blame Roger Smith for today's troubles. Certainly Mr. Smith made very costly mistakes. He invested roughly $40 Billion on technology such as robotics. F. Alan Smith (no relation), who was chief financial officer, claimed that for the same amount we could have bought Toyota and Honda. Now the reverse is true, they can buy us! Yes, Roger Smith had failings, he attempted to replace human relations with automation, and in hindsight that was foolish.

These days, poor decision making continues. Spinning off GMAC, cutting wages and benefits, alienating dealers, and disastrous marketing can all be squarely blamed on a lack of leadership at the top. In order to reverse course, the shareholders and Board of Directors must focus on the Corporation's leadership structure. GM is far too large for any one person to occupy multiple positions of responsibility. The Chairman should be a financial expert who creates the long term vision and direction for the company. This individual needs to be separate from the President who is in charge of world wide operations. Under said President should be an executive with primary responsibility for North America, and this individual needs to be a "car guy". Currently General Motors has one man, Mr Wagoner, who is attempting to carry out all three of these tasks. It is easy to see why he is doing a lousy job at each of them. GM does need to restructure, but at the very top where it matters most. It is impossible for one person to function effectively as Chairman, President, and Chief Operating Officer.

Once a realignment of leadership occurs, GM has a chance to rebound in the marketplace. That resurgence will begin through implementing better decisions. We must go back to the basics of selling cars and the best way to accomplish positive results is to place one person firmly in charge of just North America and hold that person accountable. The future viability of GM and the good of our country hangs in the balance.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Chrysler - currently and while it was Daimler Chrysler. Under both leaderships, the most egregious error for an automotive manufacturer was repeated time and time again - releasing uncompetitive vehicles. The new Ram and the 300 back in 2004 were their only two products in the past decade that were honest contenders for tops in class. Everything has been merely good (2001 minivans, 2005 Grand Cherokee) or just plain bad (Sebring, Compass, Caliber).

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
I bought a GM product in 2006. The service & parts availability have been pathetic. Customer service was a joke. My 1st & last GM.
do you still have the vehicle? if so what is the difficulty?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.