GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Cadillac Testing A Blackwing-Powered 2022 Escalade V?
BY CHRIS CHILTON | POSTED ON MAY 4, 2021
CARSCOOPS

“No more new gas-powered cars.” That’s what Cadillac said at the launch of the electric Lyriq SUV last month when it claimed every new model launched would be battery-powered as it moved toward becoming an EV-only brand by 2030. But the quad tailpipes on this heavily camouflaged Escalade tell a different story.

Believed to be the upcoming Escalade V, this development car spotted testing with some mysterious high performance Corvettes – and a Ferrari 458 – is allegedly powered by Cadillac’s supercharged 6.2-liter V8. As fitted to the CT5-V Blackwing, the LT4 V8 makes 668 hp and a thumping 659 lb ft of torque – numbers that would make an Escalade V more than a match for rivals like the 603 hp Mercedes-AMG GLS 63.

Escalades currently on sale feature either a 6.2-litre naturally aspirated V8 pushing out 420 hp and 460 lb-ft or a 3.0-liter Duramax diesel with 277 HP and 460 lb-ft and have their tailpipes integrated into the rear bumper. But the highly visible quad pipes on this development car are clearly designed to mark this model out as a performance SUV. They also look uncannily like the tailpipe finishers on models like the CT4 and CT5-V.

Other giveaways just about visible through the disguise include a redesigned front fascia with more prominent lower air intakes, a deeper chin spoiler and the crosshatch mesh inserts seen on other Cadillac V cars.

One final clue comes under the arches in the shape of a brand new wheel design. Exactly how big the rolling stock is, remains to be seen, but it’s unlikely to go bigger than the 22-inches already available on the Escalade Sport Platinum.
Cadillac hasn’t admitted the existence of an Escalade V, and has denied it is developing a Blackwing version. But it’s likely that Cadillac’s no-new-gas-cars pronouncement referred to brand new vehicles, rather than modern derivatives. Because on this evidence it looks like there’s some fight in the old ICE dog yet.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
They fr!ckin' better be!!! :) Only 15 years late to the party!!!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
About GD time, hopefully they don't skimp out on the 2nd and 3rd rows.

I will add this, those wheels and tires don't look wide enough for me, if I were doing it, I'd take everything perceived as insane and crank it up to 11. Those wheels should be a squared 24x12 setup on 335 width tires. Go full V here...use the front brakes from the Urus on the rear of this thing and have the biggest brakes ever developed thrown on the front.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm still disappointed that Cadillac didn't use the magnificent Blackwing engine in the Escalade. Not because it's better than the old 6.2 L. Because it's a unique engine in GM's portfolio. I think it's a missed opportunity to differenciate the Escalade from the Yukon Denali.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I was going to be generous and say this should have been a question asked a decade ago.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
I wonder if this will just be a regular V vs. a Blackwing V. I'll have the hp, but due to its bulk's impact on handling I'm think that they'll not attach the Blackwing name to it (that even if they do, it will not have a "Blackwing" badge as it doesn't exist).

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
His profile pic matches a natural reaction to Caddy's naming convention of the past 3 years.
I'd say a lot of Cadillac's decisions over the last 30+ years.......

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
There doesn't seem to be much chatter about this in the thread. Are people over the desire for a BlackVing Escalade?..Could it be too pricey for most?....Or are the lack of water-coolers to huddle around to brag about these things causing a decline in the fervor for such a vehicle?

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
There doesn't seem to be much chatter about this in the thread. Are people over the desire for a BlackVing Escalade?..Could it be too pricey for most?....Or are the lack of water-coolers to huddle around to brag about these things causing a decline in the fervor for such a vehicle?
Seems like it is less interesting to talk about something GM is doing well, such as a V Escalade. Other than saying "awesome" or "GM better build it", I can't think of much else to say... Plus, with their making the Escalade so good that it can win comparisons with German rivals, it again becomes less interesting to talk about. The better GM does, the less there is to say.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Better late than never? I wonder how much money GM lost not doing this earlier?

Reactions: mbukukanyau and CJH

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the title of this thread. (y)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Seems like it is less interesting to talk about something GM is doing well, such as a V Escalade. Other than saying "awesome" or "GM better build it", I can't think of much else to say... Plus, with their making the Escalade so good that it can win comparisons with German rivals, it again becomes less interesting to talk about. The better GM does, the less there is to say.
Nah, its too little to late. The writings on the wall, Escalade will be an EV in the not too distant future. They have had 25 years to do it, and they waited until it is a lame duck. Good for them to finally be doing it, but why would anyone get excited about it? Its almost as bad as the Blackwingless Blackwing fiasco.

I'm glad they are doing something, but its very anticlimactic to me.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Nah, its too little to late. The writings on the wall, Escalade will be an EV in the not too distant future. They have had 25 years to do it, and they waited until it is a lame duck. Good for them to finally be doing it, but why would anyone get excited about it? Its almost as bad as the Blackwingless Blackwing fiasco.

I'm glad they are doing something, but its very anticlimactic to me.
This is GM - and more specifically Cadillac - being true to form: Finally getting the product right and then cancelling it.

Exhibit A) 1993 Allanté finally receiving its purpose-built engine (Northstar) and then the vehicle line being cancelled that year.

Exhibit B) 2019 CT6 finally getting its purpose-built engine (Blackwing) and then the vehicle line is canceled a few months into the next model year.

I predict that this breathed-on Escalade, if it ever makes it to market, will only be sold for a model year or two.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,347 Posts
This is GM - and more specifically Cadillac - being true to form: Finally getting the product right and then cancelling it.

Exhibit A) 1993 Allanté finally receiving its purpose-built engine (Northstar) and then the vehicle line being cancelled that year.

Exhibit B) 2019 CT6 finally getting its purpose-built engine (Blackwing) and then the vehicle line is canceled a few months into the next model year.

I predict that this breathed-on Escalade, if it ever makes it to market, will only be sold for a model year or two.
And then they'll bring out an electric one to replace it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts