GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,470 Posts
This reminds me that Ed said he hates products Made in China and would prefer to buy a Made in USA keyboard if they existed. I pointed him toward this website and he quickly backtracked and changed him tune - he'd rather support China than the USA.
Perhaps the Unicomp keyboards didn't meet Ed753's technical or functional requirements. It's not about supporting China versus the USA, it's about Ed753 supporting Ed753's needs the best he can as a consumer.

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
This reminds me that Ed said he hates products Made in China and would prefer to buy a Made in USA keyboard if they existed. I pointed him toward this website and he quickly backtracked and changed him tune - he'd rather support China than the USA.
That's unfortunate, we've been getting along and agreeing so much lately too.

I apologize for living in your head; do I owe you rent yet?

I don't even know when the last time I bought a keyboard, maybe you remember?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The FTC established the “All or Virtually All” standard for “Made in USA” claims in 1997, saying “Made in USA” means, “all significant parts and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin, i.e., where there is only a de minimis, or negligible amount of foreign content.”
Sounds a bit subjective to me. "Significant." "Negligible." Remember when saying a food was "Lite" or "Natural" was being used on packaging? Can't trust marketing people.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
I really used to try to buy American-made. I still make some effort, but in most cases it's so pointless that I don't even check.

There's different rules in different countries. I bike. The vast majority of bicycles are made in China. There are some bicycles made in the US. Trek, I think still, makes some of its very expensive, carbon fiber bikes here. The former Schwinn Paramount factory (their best road bike back when Schwinn was still an independent, family-owned company) is still active as Waterford Percision Cycles, a very small company co-owned by Richard Schwinn. But anyway, Italian bikes are often thought of as world class, a think to have among serious bikers (I'm just a casual bikepath guy). These "Made In Italy" bikes? Well, according to Italian law, a products can be branded as "made in Italy" if the most labor-intentive portion of the effort is in Italy. The frames and components for a lot of famous Italian cycles are - made in China. But they're branded as Italian-made because the custom paint job was done in Italy. So it takes longer to paint than to manufacture and it can be branded as Italian. But it's misleading.

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
....Just ordered a smokeless firepit the other day - made in Lancaster, PA! I was deciding between the Breeo and the Solo, as soon as I saw one was made in USA (Breeo) and the other in China (Solo) it was a simple choice - Breeo it is! Can't wait to get it. Cost a lot more, but it is also a much more substantial product and you can use it to cook.
Well of course it costs more. They had to strip off all the "Made in China" labels, and apply new "Made in USA" labels. And that last step (assembly) is what qualified it to be legally listed as "Made in USA".o_O

21 - 25 of 25 Posts