GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
Made in USA is important to me, I'd not look to kindly on a company whose packaging say's "Made in USA" and then when I open it, all parts are stamped with "China". Very bad form on GM's part.

I know why they did it - for money. But I can't wait to see how they try to justify/defend this practice.

·
Premium Member
33,573 Posts
Made in USA is important to me, I'd not look to kindly on a company whose packaging say's "Made in USA" and then when I open it, all parts are stamped with "China". Very bad form on GM's part.

I know why they did it - for money. But I can't wait to see how they try to justify/defend this practice.
This totally destroys any credibility GM has

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Everything is built in China. My mother whom is 70 years old has made in China embossed on the back of her neck much to her surprise and mine.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I've always been suspicious of labels claiming to be Made in USA or has a certain amount of American content such as several Japanese model cars. It's very difficult to quantify that. Suppose you mine a metal in one country, refine the ore in another country, and create a product with that metal in a third, and that's a simple example. We're in a very complicated world, and maybe this lawsuit will help to expose the Made in XXX myths.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts

(This is the group I worked in when at GM, "Green 3" in the Grand Blanc, MI GMSPO building) - Now called GM Customer Care & Aftersales

I suspect the product is from China, because they can get it cheaper and make more money, since putting China product in boxes that say Made in USA illegal, I suspect this was pure error/incompetence.

Currently, we make all of our product in the US, for a time some were from our parent company in Japan, but we don't put Made in USA on the box graphic, we put it on the Part Number UPC label.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
(This is the group I worked in when at GM, "Green 3" in the Grand Blanc, MI GMSPO building) - Now called GM Customer Care & Aftersales

I suspect the product is from China, because they can get it cheaper and make more money, since putting China product in boxes that say Made in USA illegal, I suspect this was pure error/incompetence.

Currently, we make all of our product in the US, for a time some were from our parent company in Japan, but we don't put Made in USA on the box graphic, we put it on the Part Number UPC label.
I can see that happening - probably the supply of parts was changed from USA to China, but no one remembered to change the packaging. I've seen worse happen in a large company. An honest mistake, but a really bad one to make due to the significance of "made in USA". It will be interesting to see what the punishment will be. I'd like to see the judge get creative and force GM to bring back some production vs. the more likely "pay a fine and change the packaging".

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,488 Posts
I've always been suspicious of labels claiming to be Made in USA or has a certain amount of American content such as several Japanese model cars. It's very difficult to quantify that. Suppose you mine a metal in one country, refine the ore in another country, and create a product with that metal in a third, and that's a simple example. We're in a very complicated world, and maybe this lawsuit will help to expose the Made in XXX myths.
I hope this lawsuit also exposes the fact that country of origin labeling laws in the USA act as trade barriers and increase costs for American businesses and consumers.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
The FTC established the “All or Virtually All” standard for “Made in USA” claims in 1997, saying “Made in USA” means, “all significant parts and processing that go into the product are of U.S. origin, i.e., where there is only a de minimis, or negligible amount of foreign content.”

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Maybe the "Made in USA" printed on the box means that the BOX was made in the USA.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
I can see that happening - probably the supply of parts was changed from USA to China, but no one remembered to change the packaging. I've seen worse happen in a large company. An honest mistake, but a really bad one to make due to the significance of "made in USA". It will be interesting to see what the punishment will be. I'd like to see the judge get creative and force GM to bring back some production vs. the more likely "pay a fine and change the packaging".
On a related note, at a time well after I left GM/ACDelco, I was at a company, we were trying to launch a filter line, oil/air/fuel we were going to "source direct" from China for the cost savings, after about 2 1/2 years, we dropped the direct source idea and went to an existing US based filter manufacturer, essentially a 'turn-key" off the shelf program.

The direct source filters that all-in were $0.10 - $0.20 cheaper were using inferior, filter media, the higher quality media narrowed the gap, factoring in all the extra required in-house engineering and quality controls, there was almost no savings, for the China product. However someone like ACDelco doing it on a much larger scale, would be able to realize an increase in margins.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
On a related note, at a time well after I left GM/ACDelco, I was at a company, we were trying to launch a filter line, oil/air/fuel we were going to "source direct" from China for the cost savings, after about 2 1/2 years, we dropped the direct source idea and went to an existing US based filter manufacturer, essentially a 'turn-key" off the shelf program.

The direct source filters that all-in were $0.10 - $0.20 cheaper were using inferior, filter media, the higher quality media narrowed the gap, factoring in all the extra required in-house engineering and quality controls, there was almost no savings, for the China product. However someone like ACDelco doing it on a much larger scale, would be able to realize an increase in margins.
I always wodered how much savings are really there... But sometimes they are less obvious, tax can play a role and it will not be something we see in the standard build costs.

Here's a good one on the packaging mistake side. In the 90's I worked for a company that owned a variety of brands, one of which was STP. They brought out a beautifully packaged premium product. However, nowhere did it say what it did - flop! I believe it was some kind of advanced engine cleaner. It told you what to do with it (put it in the gas tank), but not "why". Other big "oops" was a wax that wouldn't come off - cost a fortune to have customer cars professionally detailed - you'd put on the wax, let it form a nice haze, then it wouldn't buff off! Another was a coupon with no expiration date (more of a goof for tracking).

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
I bought an AC Delco part recently. At least in this case, it was cleared marked, unfortunately, "Made in China."

It can be deceptive. When CFLs first started becoming common, I wanted to buy some made in the US. I don't really know if any are. But a company called "Lights of America" proudly advertised about their American-made products. I got my CFLs in the mail: Made in China. LOA is proud of American-made products and they do manufacture certain fixtures and maybe some lights in the US, but not these.

It would have been easy to determine origin had I bought these lights in a store, but online I didn't know.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
At least you know your Buick Envision was Made In China.
Removes any doubt!!

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
I bought an AC Delco part recently. At least in this case, it was cleared marked, unfortunately, "Made in China."

It can be deceptive. When CFLs first started becoming common, I wanted to buy some made in the US. I don't really know if any are. But a company called "Lights of America" proudly advertised about their American-made products. I got my CFLs in the mail: Made in China. LOA is proud of American-made products and they do manufacture certain fixtures and maybe some lights in the US, but not these.

It would have been easy to determine origin had I bought these lights in a store, but online I didn't know.
One of the more recent gimmicks I've seen is the package touting the country where the engineering is done. Of course "engineered in" is in a small font and the country, typically USA or Germany is in a much bigger font. The product is manufactured in China. Glance quickly and you'll just see USA.

Just ordered a smokeless firepit the other day - made in Lancaster, PA! I was deciding between the Breeo and the Solo, as soon as I saw one was made in USA (Breeo) and the other in China (Solo) it was a simple choice - Breeo it is! Can't wait to get it. Cost a lot more, but it is also a much more substantial product and you can use it to cook.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
One of the more recent gimmicks I've seen is the package touting the country where the engineering is done. Of course "engineered in" is in a small font and the country, typically USA or Germany is in a much bigger font. The product is manufactured in China. Glance quickly and you'll just see USA.
Dewalt advertises "Assembled in the USA" with a big shiney American flag on the sticker. All the bits are brought in and final assembly is done here.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
Dewalt advertises "Assembled in the USA" with a big shiney American flag on the sticker. All the bits are brought in and final assembly is done here.
I wonder how big the "bits" are? Does someone just need to screw the housing to the innards (all of which were made/assembled in China)? Meaning very little actual assembly, the bare minimum to be able to say "assembled in the USA".

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I had picked up a pack of Brother typewriter ribbons (Yeah, I still use a typewriter on occasion), and on the package is an image of the Stars & Stripes, with "Assembled in Mexico" directly underneath it. :D

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
This reminds me that Ed said he hates products Made in China and would prefer to buy a Made in USA keyboard if they existed. I pointed him toward this website and he quickly backtracked and changed him tune - he'd rather support China than the USA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts