GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my engine died in camaro and i got a free 1993 park ave with a 3800 on it will the block work, and is the tranny pattern the same

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
depends on the number. the 3800 came in three iterations

Series I

Series II and

Series III

the 93 park avenue in question probably has a Series I engine and with exception to California where Base camaros had the 3.8 liter series II for 1995 (to comply with California clean air policies). Base Camaros in the other 49 states had the 3.4 liter V6. (the Series II would become the standard engine for base models in 96). As for your question I have a feeling you might have some issues with the block due in part to the differences between the two engines. Also both the park avenue and the camaro utilized two different automatic transmissions. the 4L60 auto for the Camaro and the 4T60E for the Park so tranny pattern could also become an issue

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
park ave is FWD...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The blocks are most likely the same or similar, definitely when it comes to bore and stroke, and the 90* iron construction, but the effort of the FWD to RWD conversion probably isn't worth the time or money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know i have 2 change manifolds and flip the intake around and i already have the engine mounts besides that it should still be easy, i mean i already found intake gaskets

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i know i have 2 change manifolds and flip the intake around and i already have the engine mounts besides that it should still be easy, i mean i already found intake gaskets
Well if youre already that far into it then from what i understand the FWD Series II is able to bolt up to the 4L60E because both 3800s had the same bolt patterns. I'm just not sure if the Series I is compatible, but the only differences i know of are a shorter deck height, revised cylinder heads, and cross bolted main bearing caps on the Series II.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
A series II engine might work. as mentioned in my earlier post GM did equip base Camaro models that were sold in California with the series II engine a year before it became standard for the rest of the country so in therory if you can find a vehicle that has a series II engine in it some of the compatibility issues would not be as much of a problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the camaro came with the 3800 serios 2 engine ran but it had water in the motor so if i got the park ave could i take the serios 2 upper intake and use it on the block cause i was just going 2 use the exhaust manifolds off the camaro and the uper intake :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was reading on onther thread forum and it said that the 3800 fwd and rwd blocks are the same they said u have 2 use the rwd uper intake and fuel rail and alt and starter it should b ok now thing is is the 1993 3800 the same block as the 1995 serious 2, i also read that there was only 500 of the 3800 camaro made in 1995

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Jm your engine is bad in the Camaro anyway. Lift it out, lift out the engine in the Park, put them next to each other and start swapping parts until the Park engine looks enough like the Camaro engine to fit ;)

Bolt patterns are the same more or less, but the Series II has a lot of internal improvements like the pistons are different, heads are probably different... the Series I probably will work fine as a long-block installation but won't give as much power.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
They are both OBD-1, so I think the wireharness should work. Although the sensors may not be in the correct position.

But yeah, what Smarrt aas saabr said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thnk u, i just wana get the car movin it been sitin for a while i just wana have it runin so when i get my settelment check from this court case i can buy a lti or ls4 with a t56 6 speed

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Well yeah. I'm just saying he may have to change a coolant temp sensor or maybe knock sensor to a differant plug in the head/block.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts