GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I own a 2005 Malibu Maxx LS. The owners manual discribes the main use of the mode/range selector, on the left hand side of the shift lever, as being for selecting the lower range gears. My question is: can the mode/range selector switch (+/-) be used as a manumatic to select all 4 gears without doing damage to the transmission? I have googled this question for months and received a wide range of information. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I went through all four gears and while it does yield a faster acceleration by letting you get close to redline of each gear, the long pause and not so smooth gear change leads me to believe that is not it's purpose.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but we have these on the VUE and OUTLOOK. I'm told by our rep this is for range shifting while towing. If you are in a hilly area, you can make the trans act on 4 (or 5 in the 6 speed) gears only for easier acceleration.

Example: If you leave the shifter in 3 (on the 4AT trans) the trans will only shift as though it has 3 gears. It will not go into 4th gear.

But it does NOT act like TapShift. meaning you cannot shift up using it unless the trans determines it needs to shift up into the higher gear.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not entirely sure, but we have these on the VUE and OUTLOOK. I'm told by our rep this is for range shifting while towing. If you are in a hilly area, you can make the trans act on 4 (or 5 in the 6 speed) gears only for easier acceleration.

Example: If you leave the shifter in 3 (on the 4AT trans) the trans will only shift as though it has 3 gears. It will not go into 4th gear.

But it does NOT act like TapShift. meaning you cannot shift up using it unless the trans determines it needs to shift up into the higher gear.

I hope this makes sense.
I think you are on the right track about the use of the "range selector" button, however, I can't fit one piece of the puzzle; why did GM trans eng. modifiy the 2005 trany to make it possible to select the L 4? Does that mean that if you select L 4 it will stay in L 4?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts