GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sky Daytime Cloud Infrastructure Architecture

In the middle of automotive model year 2015, the world was closing in on the reputation of Volkswagen diesel powered vehicles. In one monumental software stroke, VW had done more to damage the reputation of the diesel engine than Oldsmobile could have ever even imagined.

I went down to my local BMW dealer and purchased a new X5 diesel and a new X3 diesel from their stock. They basically paid me to take them.

With the stunning cost of diesel fuel and possible shortages in the marketplace coming, I throw something out there that you may find hard to believe. GM has come a long way from the 5.7 modified disaster, and now sells a state of the art, 3 litre Duramax diesel engine that has garnered rave reviews in the market, and that from what I understand is even getting an MCE for MY23.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a visit to your local Chevy/GMC/Cadillac dealer may find something almost impossible to locate these days: A really great vehicle with a possibly great price...as long as you believe that life will return to normal one day.

And my two 2015 BMW diesels? They have been flawless in both economics and performance thus far.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,489 Posts
And my two 2015 BMW diesels? They are been flawless in both economics and performance thus far.
Good to hear! One inane marketing move by BMW of North America involved the labeling of U.S. market diesel powered vehicles. Specifically,
  • F15 X5 with the 255 hp N57 3.0L engine used the label xDrive35d
  • F25 X3 with the 180 hp N47 2.0L engine used the label xDrive28d
The power ratings for both engines correspond to xDrive30d and xDrive20d models respectively in the rest of the world. Thus, U.S. customers who expected performance commensurate with the corresponding model labels were hoodwinked by BMW of NA marketing dweebs.

Fortunately, GM doesn't engage in such trickery for marketing its diesel powered K2XX models. The newton-meter based label '600D' for Cadillac Escalade diesel may be silly, but at least it's accurate.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Reactions: Perian

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thus, U.S. customers who expected performance commensurate with the corresponding model labels were hoodwinked by BMW of NA marketing dweebs.

Would love to sincerely thank the BMW engineer who specified normal Michelin tires and a full size spare with matching alloy wheel on the X5d. Would love to kill the BMW engineer who signed off on Goodyear run-flats with no spare on the X3d. The run-flats can not be repaired and our horrendous NY roads just destroy them at $440 each (when you can find them).

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

£1.93.9 ($2.36.7) a litre, wonder how much that would cost to fill up a Suburban?

It's over $10+ in Europe and still climbing that's probably the No1 reason nobody buys Suburban's in Europe you would get slaughtered with eco taxes just for thinking about buying one, EU would hit you with $25k CO2 emissions based tax and 19% VAT sales slapped on it before you even asked what the new price of it is, then hit with $128 a day low C02 Emission zone & $15 a day congestion zone as you take it onto the roads in central London. $600 to park it outside your house if you don't have driveway in Richmond park it outside your house in the road.

Suburban EV that would be a game changer a totally different kettle of fish more of a low cost level playing field. Europeans would warm to all that huge real estate loads of room inside if only it had low energy costs and clean tech that broke all the EU/UK eco tax rules fines and taxes, sadly you get criminalised for owning a gas guzzler they are basically huge Government tax attracting milking machines, a Suburban EV would avoid being milked.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Big Gov't is incapable of resisting a potential revenue stream. It's their #1 reason to exist.

BE vehicles may become the majority of new sales at some point, tho they will forever be the vast minority of all vehicles on the road due to the sheer volume of the used pool. So while BEVs may be sliding under the radar for the moment in many places, the dogs are salivating, and massive 'taps' into the pockets of BE owners will INEVITABLY follow.

Wait until the clear picture settles that an [electric Suburban] is 2000 lbs heavier than a IC variant and is paying nothing into road maintenance, and don't be surprised if a weight pro-rated fee gets drafted.

·
Premium Member
36,153 Posts
Big Gov't is incapable of resisting a potential revenue stream. It's their #1 reason to exist.
Hair Smile Joint Outerwear Dress shirt

BE vehicles may become the majority of new sales at some point, tho they will forever be the vast minority of all vehicles on the road due to the sheer volume of the used pool. So while BEVs may be sliding under the radar for the moment in many places, the dogs are salivating, and massive 'taps' into the pockets of BE owners will INEVITABLY follow.

Wait until the clear picture settles that an [electric Suburban] is 2000 lbs heavier than a IC variant and is paying nothing into road maintenance, and don't be surprised if a weight pro-rated fee gets drafted.
The new Europe president agrees

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

You give the installed base way too much credit. Recently, I have done something that I suggest that you do as well. Find a restaurant table next to a window with a good view of the street. In your head, pick a vehicle that recently went out of production. Now count all of your chosen target that you see. There are a number of variations on this game, but the results are generally the same.

What I find is that vehicles that were fairly common while they were in production are virtually invisible on our streets and highways just a few years later. Whether or not the vehicle is still in use does not necessarily depend on its age. For example, the most recent Lincoln Town Car is more likely than most Ford-manufactured sedans in my hometown to still be in use. Make no mistake, if you removed all CUVs, SUVs, and pickup trucks from our streets and roads, then you could take a nap in the middle of many city streets at rush hour.

To takeaway message is that EV deniers will be shocked at how quickly the EV transition will proceed after the Big 3 (and its competitors) bring mainstream EVs into their showrooms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts