GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IRL: No Chevrolet in Top Ten in Indy 500
irl.racing-live.com

Alex Barron was the highest finishing Chevrolet driver in the rain-delayed and rain-shortened Indianapolis 500

Barron finished 12th in Red Bull Cheever Racing's Chevrolet Dallara when the race ended under caution after 180 of a scheduled 200 laps. Buddy Rice won the 88th running of the Indianapolis 500 in a Honda-powered G Force.

As heavy rain fell on Indianapolis Motor Speedway shortly after 6 p.m., Felipe Giaffone crossed the famous yard of bricks at the finish line 15th in the Team Purex/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Chevrolet Dallara. Al Unser Jr. started and finished 17th in his first race with Patrick Racing's Chevrolet Dallara, and Tomas Scheckter was 18th in Pennzoil Panther Racing's Chevrolet Dallara. Ed Carpenter and Mark Taylor tangled in a Turn 3 accident at 62 laps, taking the two rookies out of contention.

Full Article Here

5,934 Posts
Thanks for finding the article Ming !

Yea, when I was watching the race and they scrolled the racers and manufacturers, I was p*ssed that the first 7 cars where Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Toyota, Honda Chevrolet.

What's up with that? :angry: I can deal with Honda winning, but I should at least see a Chevy or 2 in the Top 5.

A guy in the service department of my local Chevy dealership, says that Honda has been hardcore into F1 racing. But c'mon, Chevy can at least be in the Top 5.

The Olds Aurora engine was a good Indy engine. A few years ago, it was Olds and Infiniti.

Does anyone know why Chevy has such sh*tty HP numbers in Indy racing?

Does Indy rotate the manufacturer's?

I'd like to know why.

:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only indy race anyone watches is the indy 500, so it didnt bother me too much. Chevrolet sure is pretty good in NASCAR though - the series with full grandstands every week!

5,934 Posts
Yea, well Chevrolet's dominance in NASCAR is kind of protected. I mean, foreign competition is excluded, aside from the NASCAR truck series, with Toyota sqeezing in.

I mean, why can't Chevy make a good Indy engine? I mean, the Indy 500 is an American race.

I just thought, with the Aurora engine being strong a few years back, that they would use some of those people, and/or technology.

It must have not have sat to well to any guy on this site that on the scroll at the top of the screen had, H, H, H, H, H, H, T, ...for the top ten vehicles.

:angry: :angry: :angry: <_<

5,934 Posts
Why can't Chevy make a good, strong Indy engine?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Chevy does not even make their own IRL engine. It is made by Lola (read: Ford). When it was only Chevy and Infiniti in the IRL a couple years ago, Chevy made their own engine and it was very successful, winning almost every race. But when Infiniti left and Honda and Toyota came in, Chevy lost most of their teams to the new rivals. After little success for most of 2003, they decided to have their engines built Lola. It hasn't seemed to help much. IRL crowds are so small (except the Indy 500), Chevy should just ditch their participation in that series and focus on NASCAR, drag racing and the Corvette C5-R program

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
the chevy? indy engine is built by cosworth which is partly owned by ford. you need F1 experence to compete to in any racing that uses DOHC technology

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Since there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common between the quality or technology in the cars in the showroom versus the cars in the Indy 500 and NASCAR, who cares? They lost their relationship with real product years ago. The only thing they have in common any more is a label on the hood.

Mark

5,934 Posts
Yea, I understand all that. But still......from a sense of pride....

Now when I pass by an Accord, I'll be thinking ' ' , man.

:angry:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Chevy Ryan@Jun 2 2004, 01:49 PM
Chevy should just ditch their participation in that series and focus on NASCAR, drag racing and the Corvette C5-R program
Agreed, and add Road America / Cadillac CTS / SCCA racing and other realistic / not too far from stock showroom vehicle racing.

You want to impress youth today? Make race cars that can show up in a video game like Gran Turismo, not fake race cars that have nothing to do with showroom vehicles.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I really enjoy the racing series that have the strongest roots to production cars. While I enjoy F1; ALMS, WRC, SCCA and speed channel series are my favorite. I feel that the whole reason to have racing is to improve the passenger cars, and with a series like NASCAR, there is no connection, they even purposely use older engine technology to avoid using computers!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by motorman@Jun 2 2004, 06:51 PM
the chevy? indy engine is built by cosworth which is partly owned by ford. you need F1 experence to compete to in any racing that uses DOHC technology
Yeah, the Chevy purists were bitching and the Ford guys were cheering that Chevy has to go to Ford for help. Lola makes chassis. Not for IRL, but for other series.

Ming, what do you mean by "fake" race cars? It doesn't get more race car than an open-wheel single seater. Whether they're production based or not is a different story though...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Big problem is all the best drivers have Hondas and Toyotas.

Chevy engine is really a Cosworth any way and besides, aside from the 500 the IRL sucks. I wish the IRL and CART would get back together so we can have a real open wheel series again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
:p The Honda IRL engine is really a Daimler/Chrysler engine. Nobody mentioned that. It is designed and made by Ilmor, which is 50% owned by D/C. Used to be 25% owned by Chevy, 25% by Roger Penske and 50% by 2 former Cosworth engineers. Honda engineers tend to the engine at the track like Chevy engineers do to the Cosworth designed engine. Cosworth and Ilmor designed an IRL engine. Honda bought the Ilmor design and Cosworth decided not to go it alone, as no manufacturer backed them. Chevy's in house designed 2003 engine lacked the Formula 1 technology that Ilmor, Cosworth and Toyota had. Midway through 2003 the IRL let Chevy redesign their engine and they bought the Cosworth design. The main problem with Chevy in the IRL is lack of good teams. Panther Racing is the best Chevy team and they lost Sam Hornish to Toyota. Like when Dale Sr. was killed. Childress still has a good team but not the success it had. The other Chevy teams are competing with 10-20% of the budget of the top Honda and Toyota teams. Even Panther Racing's budget pales in comparison to the others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lets also not forget that when the IRL allowed Chevy their "new" motor they became competitive again fairly quickly. Hornish went on the win 3 races in the final leg of the season if I recall, and was finishing quite well in the end of the season.

However this season that newly found power is gone, as the IRL, in an effort to curb speed and increase safety, cut engine size from 3.5 Liters to 3, resulting with about 20 to 30 hp loss. I think this thru the chevy teams a loop as well, because they had just gotten back into the game agains Toyota and Honda, and now they are behind again.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Is it just me, or am I the only one who thinks it would be cool to have Chevy in F1 with two American drivers? Hey, I'm going to make a new post....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts