GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Tests/99-c...-silverado.html

I found this site very interesting. I know most of us are cringing at the thought of the new F-150 and GM waiting til '06. But I think it's a damn good plan.

After reading that site I realized how much GM gained by waiting for the half-ton truck redesign in 99:
  • Naturally, technology advances over time. This allowed GM to encorporate new technologies (Hydroforming, better electronics, advanced ABS) that the F-150 didn't have. It's also much easier (and cheaper) to encorporate these technologies during a full redesign than during in the middle of a model-run.
  • GM had the advantage of a newer design for about 4 or 5 years until the '04 F-150 was introduced whereas Ford had the advantage for about 2 years (97-99). Typically buyers are attracted to the 'newer' platform/design.
  • They learned from the customers and reviewers likes/dislikes of the new Ford. Then slapped them in the face with a "Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter, Full-Size Pickup"
  • They had time to fully study the F-150's weaknesses and advantages.
They can do just as good this time. Some of the main things I think they can or already have learned from the F-150:
  • "Quiet-Steel" as ford calls it. Simply two peices of steel stuck together with sound absorbing materials. It's in the Cobalt and almost every new GM vehicle so no doubt GM will put it in the Silverado.
  • A more "modern" interior. I think GM can top the F-150 interior in terms of appearance while keeping the controls simple and easy to use like the current Silverado.
  • Gas Mileage and weight. The new F-150 may look big and tough but so is the gas bill when you fill up this heavy beast. GM already knows how to keep vehicles light (hydroforming, aluminum, magnesium) and with 4th-gen Small Blocks with DOD, gas mileage should be quite good for a pickup.
  • Tought "Look at Me" styling. Although I hope it's not as extreme as the rediculously high sides of the F-150. I can imagine a similar front end with less roundness on the sides.

Some people might think I'm biased, but I actually enjoy the new F-150 and Ram. I also believe that trucks are meant for work and you can't judge them on looks, at least on the inside. GM has a lot of work to do and I'm sure they will deliver.
This was my favorite quote
"We chased the customer, not the competition,"

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You're not living up to your name. This is extremely insightful, and I wish I'd written it. I also wish other GMIers would take a long look at it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Jul 3 2004, 07:30 AM
You're not living up to your name.  This is extremely insightful, and I wish I'd written it.  I also wish other GMIers would take a long look at it.
Thanks MelvinJ. I was just getting sick of all the "GM's current trucks are outdated", "the interior is horrible", "GM is so cheap they have to make us wait two more years" so I thought I'd do some reading and get another intelligent thread going. There's so many smart people on this sight with tons of knowledge and ideas. It's sad how other people's childish behaviour can ruin an intelligent thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That ticks me off that Ford is toting the new F-150 uses a hydroformed frame like they invented it. Also the frame how they created a box section to increase strength
Ford :plasma:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts