GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
what, precisely, is a "premium blend of American fuel products" anyway? ethanol, gasoline derived from American crude, biodiesel? funny sighting though, and hopefully a sign of someone stepping away from an oil giant that is gouging American consumers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looks like someone trying to cash in on the ethanol/alternative fuels patriotism bandwagon. Its popular now to hate "big oil", there evil, etc. But American grown corn is patriotic! Its American! Blah, blah, blah.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We already know Exxon/Mobil is getting out of retail gas sales, so this probably just part of an initial step.
I don't know. Consider this quote from Time.com:

"However, motorists will continue to see Exxon and Mobil stations throughout the country. About 75% of its roughly 12,000 stations in the U.S. are owned by branded distributors. Exxon Mobil will still sell gasoline to those stations and get paid for the use of its name."

The place where I took the picture was not a Mobil Exxon retail outlet. It was a "The Store" retail outlet. From news accounts, Mobil Exxon still is selling its gasoline to independent outlets.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
We already know Exxon/Mobil is getting out of retail gas sales, so this probably just part of an initial step.
They are franchising all company owned stations, the brand itself is not exiting the market.

mgescuro said:
I know they pulled out of California a few years back, but you'll find a station or 2 left in the state.
Maybe norcal but they're still infesting the socal area.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Are they really??? :blink:
I know they pulled out of California a few years back, but you'll find a station or 2 left in the state.
I think Exxon announced that they were getting out of the retail side of the business this week (or late last week).

On a side note, I heard that some privately owned stations are no longer accepting credit cards due to the percentage they have to pay the card issuer.

It's cash or Debit Card.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've had a jobber as a client before and the supply or consignment contracts they sign with retail outlets are generally extremely difficult for the retail outlet to get out of before before the contract expires - contracts typically last 10 to 20 years. The contract could simply have been up for renewal and the store operators simply got a better deal from another supplier.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
what, precisely, is a "premium blend of American fuel products" anyway? ethanol, gasoline derived from American crude, biodiesel? funny sighting though, and hopefully a sign of someone stepping away from an oil giant that is gouging American consumers.
Don't blame the "big" oil companies...Blame pinhead motorists who have to drive one block to get a pack of cigarettes at the corner store. Supply and demand...If people didn't drive so much, especially wasting gas on stupid driving habits, the price wouldn't be so high. Companies charge what they can get, and there is nothing wrong with that. They are in the business of profits, just like GM, not handouts. Leave handouts to the goverment (or hopefully not). If GM could sell 1 million Cadillacs in Saudi Arabia at $500,000 a pop, would you complain? GM fans would be cheering in the street...GM would be saved.

If you don't like the gas prices, TAKE THE BUS. Live closer to your work...Ride a bike (great for your health). Stay out of the drive-thru...If you chose to live far from work or public transit, well, that is the same as someone choosing to live in downtown Manhattan. It was their choice, so can they really complain about all the noise and high rent prices? But please do not complain because obviously a lot of people deem their gas purchases something they must have...Obviously it is not hurting them so much since many just complain but do not do anything to change their habits. Tough sh__. You don't complain about getting all the cheap products at the dollar store, do you?

·
Banned
17,572 Posts

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
I don't know. Consider this quote from Time.com:

"However, motorists will continue to see Exxon and Mobil stations throughout the country. About 75% of its roughly 12,000 stations in the U.S. are owned by branded distributors. Exxon Mobil will still sell gasoline to those stations and get paid for the use of its name."

The place where I took the picture was not a Mobil Exxon retail outlet. It was a "The Store" retail outlet. From news accounts, Mobil Exxon still is selling its gasoline to independent outlets.
ExxonMobil will still sell the gas to stations. But to use the Exxon or Mobil names there will be higher fees than before. This is to strongly discourage independed retailers from keeping the names. You can expect that in the next 2 years most Exxon and Mobil stations will change to something else.

Guess that means only BP for me and when I am in a pinch Shell.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts