GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wards Auto
May 6, 2021

GM Chairman Mary Barra says the automaker will build new, all-electric delivery vans for Federal Express at GM of Canada’s plant in Ingersoll, ON, for its new Bright Drop commercial vehicle venture.

GM also plans to pull ahead the renovation of a second Canadian assembly plant in Oshawa, ON, near Toronto. The Oshawa plant will begin building fullsize pickups late this year rather than in the first part of 2022, Barra says.

Interest in an all-electric pickup, which GM expects to build at Factory Zero in Detroit, is strong among fleet and government customers who recently saw the truck during a special preview for commercial customers. “This truck will be a high-volume addition” to GM’s fleet of pickup trucks, she says.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Reactions: Impala Dio

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
EV's make a ton of sense for Day Fleet operations. Very little for Over the Road trucking at this point.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,353 Posts
I would think that it should have strong interest, with our new administrations greenie agenda and they do buy a lot of trucks as well. And also as other fleets that do and also having that sort of a bent. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Speaking of which are there any plans to update the Express/Savannah? Seems like they haven't received anything in ages at this point.
I get the strong feeling that Brightdrop will now be home to all future courier fleet models from GM. Meaning that whatever replaces the Express/ Savannah twins and perhaps a successor the discontinued City Express will likely be branded Brightdrop and will have access to the logistics services being offered by the brand. Not to mention all will sit on various versions of the Ultium platform.

·
Registered
20,535 Posts
Speaking of which are there any plans to update the Express/Savannah? Seems like they haven't received anything in ages at this point.
Last I saw, the Express/Savanna was going to be replaced around 2024/2025.

I think originally it was going to be sooner, with something on-par to the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster Vans, but then came to the realization that if they kick the can a bit more, they can make it to the EV transition.

I was at MPG about 3 years ago, they were working on the controls of the HVAC system, the engineers said some mild interior updates were all that was planned.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Premium Member
35,785 Posts
Well DUH of course the PC-infected government boys will be aboard the lektrik vanwagon. I see no mention of performance, range, cold weather or hot weather reductions. Oh wait! None of that matters! Lektrik is AMAAAAZING! It's just so cool! So TOMORROWLAND. I can hardly wait.

Just a hint here to the makers, not that they care: Don't throw out all your existing successful petrol critters. Just because Central Planners say this will be heaven on earth and zerox3, that does not make it so. Central Planning, the landscape is littered with bodies from its failures.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Well DUH of course the PC-infected government boys will be aboard the lektrik vanwagon. I see no mention of performance, range, cold weather or hot weather reductions. Oh wait! None of that matters! Lektrik is AMAAAAZING! It's just so cool! So TOMORROWLAND. I can hardly wait.

Just a hint here to the makers, not that they care: Don't throw out all your existing successful petrol critters. Just because Central Planners say this will be heaven on earth and zerox3, that does not make it so. Central Planning, the landscape is littered with bodies from its failures.
I have a feeling we'll be in for a grand ole time when everything finally comes to a head, and I do believe it will at some point in our future... :D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts

Electric already has better performance than ICEs, range is just the size of the battery (same with ICEs with the size of the gas tank). Weather temp reductions in range are more than for ICEs, but not unmanageable.

The real issues are cost (although somewhat mitigated by the much cheaper cost to run and maintain an EV) time for recharge, locations for recharge. And all of those have been steadily improved, and I see no reason to assume that they won't improve more.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Last I saw, the Express/Savanna was going to be replaced around 2024/2025.

I think originally it was going to be sooner, with something on-par to the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster Vans, but then came to the realization that if they kick the can a bit more, they can make it to the EV transition.

I was at MPG about 3 years ago, they were working on the controls of the HVAC system, the engineers said some mild interior updates were all that was planned.
I don't see GM making a replacement Express/Savanna with ICE. I expect they will keep it around for another 10 years and phase it out with an electric replacement.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I don't see GM making a replacement Express/Savanna with ICE. I expect they will keep it around for another 10 years and phase it out with an electric replacement.
the "brightdrop" VAN I assume is the "replacement" for the Savanna / Express cargovans and will run concurrently till ICE demand drops low enough OR the current vans fail to conform to standards

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
the "brightdrop" VAN I assume is the "replacement" for the Savanna / Express cargovans and will run concurrently till ICE demand drops low enough OR the current vans fail to conform to standards
Considering their future vision/dream this sounds like the likely scenario moving forward.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts