GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Infiniti’s Design Boss Talks Us Around Stunning Q80 Concept, Drops Hints About Future

Car and Driver
October 10, 2014
By: Mike Duff

Infiniti certainly needs new models, and the brand is committed to expanding its range by 60 percent by 2020.
Full article at the link.

A fun but interesting quote: "We’re playing with this duality of something that’s a little bit naughty, a little bit sinister, and yet is also beautiful and accessible. There is nothing aggressive about this car, but there is something magnetic about it. This is pure artistry, it’s not bull****. I want people to feel that the hand of an artist was developing these surfaces, with attention to the movement of shape." -Alfonso Albaisa, Infiniti Director of Design

Regardless of how successful these efforts become, it's just another example to Cadillac and Lincoln about how there is much competition. Similar surges in product seem likely to other brands as well.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
That's great and everything, but Infiniti has a long history of under delivering when it comes to production time. I don't think they're current design direction is doing them any favors either.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
"We’re playing with this duality of something that’s a little bit naughty, a little bit sinister, and yet is also beautiful and accessible. There is nothing aggressive about this car, but there is something magnetic about it. This is pure artistry, it’s not bull****. I want people to feel that the hand of an artist was developing these surfaces, with attention to the movement of shape." -Alfonso Albaisa, Infiniti Director of Design

Nothing personal Amphib, after all we are homies, but this is the GD'est bunch of touchy-feely gibberish I've heard since, oh, a politician not answering a question on the six o'clock news.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
"We’re playing with this duality of something that’s a little bit naughty, a little bit sinister, and yet is also beautiful and accessible. There is nothing aggressive about this car, but there is something magnetic about it. This is pure artistry, it’s not bull****. I want people to feel that the hand of an artist was developing these surfaces, with attention to the movement of shape." -Alfonso Albaisa, Infiniti Director of Design

Nothing personal Amphib, after all we are homies, but this is the GD'est bunch of touchy-feely gibberish I've heard since, oh, a politician not answering a question on the six o'clock news.
That's fancy talk for "it's curvy".

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Good... I hope the future product resembles the concept and not their present production cars...

Present production vehicles are either ugly or long in tooth.

Time for Infiniti to shape up or shut down.

Jmo and if Infiniti can produce this latest concept car for the street Lincoln and Cadillac can as well.

Enough of the dumbing down of designs for production.

Just look at the years of sales success of cars like the camaro....

That's truly a concept car that was brought to production in all it's original glory.

Not a fan of the refresh or what I've seen in the 6 th gen spy shots so far....but as far as the original styling of the 5 th generation car....it drove consumers crazy with desire to buy...

That's definitely the luxury segments demand as well.

The Mercedes new s class coupe comes to mind....even if a but pricey....it's a looker.

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
So are they finding that ugly isn't a good way to sell cars? I'll be interested to follow them over the next few years. A lot of parallels between Infiniti and Cadillac, hopefully they both can make a dent in the Germans.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good for them, I lost all interest in Infiniti years ago. First gen G35 coupe was the last car that I really loved from their lineup.
Yup. Recently sold the '05 G35 coupe I'd had since new. Decided I didn't want another Infiniti - saw nothing of interest.

To me the question is will Nissan brass figure out what they want the brand to be and seriously back it, similar to the unfolding GM-Cadillac scenario. The Autoextremist touched on this awhile back saying Nissan corporate's lack of full conviction and commitment was a factor in de Nysschen's departure.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Yup. Recently sold the '05 G35 coupe I'd had since new. Decided I didn't want another Infiniti - saw nothing of interest.

To me the question is will Nissan brass figure out what they want the brand to be and seriously back it, similar to the unfolding GM-Cadillac scenario. The Autoextremist touched on this awhile back saying Nissan corporate's lack of full conviction and commitment was a factor in de Nysschen's departure.
I have gotten the feeling that post Renault-Nissan there focus has shifted to EV's and smaller cars/cuvs

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
The '90-'96 Q45 (I LOVED MINE) and the G35 were the only Infinitis that ever mattered.

In the late 90s Infiniti was nothing more than a Japanese Mercury, and it's been struggling to rebuild its reputation ever since.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To me the question is will Nissan brass figure out what they want the brand to be and seriously back it, similar to the unfolding GM-Cadillac scenario.
This is Infiniti's issue. Infiniti's marketing and concepts are conveying an image of a Japanese BMW, performance vehicles. From the G/Q50 to the FX/QX70, or the last M, Infinitis have attempted to be sportier. But when you take the present Infiniti lineup as a whole, it's not really the case. The Skyline-based vehicles are, the QX70 is, but everything else is not so much. Now, it looks like Infiniti is expecting future vehicles to be much more emotionally styled and tech-ier so we'll see what happens, but that means they're going to have to design vehicles from the onset to harness that formula. The current Q70, for example, is too "nice, but nothing special" in its design and blends into the background. I mean I like it myself, but I get why it isn't selling as well (other issues exist as well).

They have most of their lineup already figured it. Now it's a matter of getting people to buy them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does anyone care?

I mean, Infiniti is the only premium brand with a more tarnished image than Acura. They have nothing remotely class-leading or exciting. Their products are outdated, overpriced, and underwhelming. They've had some mixed success in the last decade or so, sure, but the brand is far from what they could be.

They should have had a GT-R-based sedan, and a more luxurious, less hardcore coupe variant as soon as that car dropped. They're now sitting at 6 MY's of wasted opportunity. The G should have gotten a turbo V6 option forever ago. They're naming scheme is stupid. Their SUV's suck or are dated. Or both. They have no clear mission statement or direction. They're basically just going through the motions, and they're not on anybody's radar. None of their competitors take them seriously. They're a joke in their current state. They better wake the hell up.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

INfiniti G35 reminds me of the previous CTS Cad. They both built up a following and a good image as a value packed entry luxury sedans.

Then they got greedy. First it was a four banger G, and then the CTS 'repositioning' where they priced it out of the segment it has once enjoyed some moderate success.

And the greed manifested itself in both companies playing a shell game with names that has driven away buyers who had built up some loyalty to the G and CTS.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.