GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Infiniti Q60 will take its time getting to market, but it should prove worth the wait.

The concept version of the new performance coupe first debuted at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit just a month ago and the most exciting element was what’s under the hood. Rather than yet another iteration of the brand’s 3.7-liter V6, Infiniti announced it would downsize the motor to just 3.0-liters but add two turbos. Now we have the first indication of how much power it will make.

Speaking with AutoGuide at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, a company representative who commented on the condition of anonymity said that we should expect two versions of the car with the entry level model starting at right around 400 hp. The second model will be a performance focused version, keeping more of the concept car’s more aggressive design cues and making as much as 450 hp.

He said no decision has been made on if the IPL name, formerly used for more performance-focused Infinti models, will be used.

The Q60 will take its time getting to market and isn’t expected to go on sale for 18 months, arriving at dealers in late 2016.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...e-400-hp-more-powerful-version-to-follow.html

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
And who cares? 400 hp is nothing nowadays. Even 450 hardly turns a head. It's butt ugly looking like a cross between a Mazda and a Lexus, and it doesn't have a V8. Complete rubbish, if it's going the TTV6 route and debuting in 2016 you need at least 500 hp to compete.

I still would rather have the burble of my 415 hp V8 SS then a turbo V6. It's not the 80's anymore that the GNX was King of the Hill.

·
Registered
9,086 Posts
The car looks good enough and 400hp is way more than anyone else's entry level model in this class. The performance model can have the hp adjusted to what is appropriate at the time of the release since turbo's give you a ton of latitude.

The problem is that they screwed up the original design and made it a 2 door coupe (ATS) and had to go back to the drawing board after seeing the competitions Coupes. This put the release date way behind the competition and could be the death knell for this car unless it leap frogs the current cars in the class. That would be highly unlikely since it was supposed to be released at the same time as them.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
The car looks good enough and 400hp is way more than anyone else's entry level model in this class. The performance model can have the hp adjusted to what is appropriate at the time of the release since turbo's give you a ton of latitude.

The problem is that they screwed up the original design and made it a 2 door coupe (ATS) and had to go back to the drawing board after seeing the competitions Coupes. This put the release date way behind the competition and could be the death knell for this car unless it leap frogs the current cars in the class. That would be highly unlikely since it was supposed to be released at the same time as them.
I agree, we'd all be extremely excited if the ATS Coupe base motor started at 400 hp

I used to love Infiniti for being the more daring Japanese luxury brand.

I'm having a hard time caring anymore.
Same here, the styling doesn't look compelling to me, in these pictures it looks like a Hyundai. Overall I find their styling to be "pillowy" and not unique. And there isn't anything compelling about the brand - seen it before styling, good performance, but that can be had elsewhere. My biggest concern is that Cadillac shares some of these problems, though at least Cadillac's have unique styling and a fan base going back 100 years that want to see Cadillac succeed when they get their formula correct. Infiniti doesn't have such heritage or fan base.

In the first 5 or 10 years Infiniti did have some excitement, the ad campaign not showing anything, the unique looking Q and the J. But mixed in their lineup were to many Nissan rebadges (granted, not sold in the USA, but still Nissans) that detracted from the make. Then as their finances failed and bankruptcy loomed rebadges took over the lineup. I think the bankruptcy occurred at a bad time for the young Infiniti brand while the public was still forming an opinion of them. So many similarities to Cadillac/GM, yet not the same....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I used to love Infiniti for being the more daring Japanese luxury brand.

I'm having a hard time caring anymore.
I was just at the Chicago auto show telling my wife that. Back in 02-03 when they had the G35 coupe, 350z and even the altima (with a 3.5!) they put the automotive world on notice. They were HOT. They have done minor updates since then, but fallen back into the "who really cares" domain. G37 coupe was a huge step backwards in exterior design, 370z was a lateral move and there newest iterations with the extra swoopy side designs make them look cheap and Hyundai like.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I was just at the Chicago auto show telling my wife that. Back in 02-03 when they had the G35 coupe, 350z and even the altima (with a 3.5!) they put the automotive world on notice. They were HOT. They have done minor updates since then, but fallen back into the "who really cares" domain. G37 coupe was a huge step backwards in exterior design, 370z was a lateral move and there newest iterations with the extra swoopy side designs make them look cheap and Hyundai like.
Nissan and Infiniti seem to have fallen into an unhappy marriage of Japanese and French style. I don't like their styling direction on most of their vehicles.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yes, so true. That old 3.5 won a ton of awards. Its the clue that held that company together. With the fact that you could get it available with a manual in both fwd and rwd form. The design changes arent bad but like other automakers fun driving cars took a back seat to cuvs and people movers. The 370 has pretty much been left for dead along with the plans to bring a 240 replacement.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Yes, so true. That old 3.5 won a ton of awards. Its the clue that held that company together. With the fact that you could get it available with a manual in both fwd and rwd form. The design changes arent bad but like other automakers fun driving cars took a back seat to cuvs and people movers. The 370 has pretty much been left for dead along with the plans to bring a 240 replacement.
370Z is still a great buy if one wants a true sports car. Nothing else like it can be had for the money. No, it does not sell in large numbers but it has remained consistent since its second year of introduction, outselling both the S2000 during its entire production run and the current Miata since 2008. This adds exclusivity to owning what is ultimately a blue collar sports car. It is arguably more profitable too by sharing its platform with the Infinity G37 couple and now Q60.

Sales Figures

The 370Z replacement should have the Q60 power options, which should go a long way to boosting its relevance. A twin turbo 3350 lb Z35 Nismo with 450 hp should perform similar to a base C7 Z51 for $15,000 less money. There will also be a DI naturally aspirated base model option with around 330 horsepower for about $30,000, which will offer similar performance to the current Z34 yet get significantly better economy. Can you say 300ZX resurrection, anybody?

If the design is executed right, this should be enough to shake up the market.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious any time you go driving that a hell of a lot of people like the Infiniti G35/37 or whatever the hell they're calling it now. Why not just make a high performance version of the G Coupe and Sedan and call it a day?

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
370Z is still a great buy if one wants a true sports car. Nothing else like it can be had for the money. No, it does not sell in large numbers but it has remained consistent since its second year of introduction, outselling both the S2000 during its entire production run and the current Miata since 2008. This adds exclusivity to owning what is ultimately a blue collar sports car. It is arguably more profitable too by sharing its platform with the Infinity G37 couple and now Q60.

Sales Figures

The 370Z replacement should have the Q60 power options, which should go a long way to boosting its relevance. A twin turbo 3350 lb Z35 Nismo with 450 hp should perform similar to a base C7 Z51 for $15,000 less money. There will also be a DI naturally aspirated base model option with around 330 horsepower for about $30,000, which will offer similar performance to the current Z34 yet get significantly better economy. Can you say 300ZX resurrection, anybody?

If the design is executed right, this should be enough to shake up the market.
Hopefully Nissan will remain committed to the Z. I'd also like to see them offer a wider range of Zs. For example (in today's money) a base 25K version with the VQ37 while a low-30s base twin-turbo V-6 as you mention would be the upgrade. Figure more than 50K for a loaded 450 horsepower Nismo version.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Hopefully Nissan will remain committed to the Z. I'd also like to see them offer a wider range of Zs. For example (in today's money) a base 25K version with the VQ37 while a low-30s base twin-turbo V-6 as you mention would be the upgrade. Figure more than 50K for a loaded 450 horsepower Nismo version.
I agree with you, Amp; hopefully Nissan will remain committed. I think a wider range of Z's is necessary but I could be wrong. They have sold >1000 units consistently between the old Z and Q in January alone. That is pretty good considering the price point. Those are greater numbers than most performance offerings industry wide. After market research, Nissan may feel offering a base engine of around 350 hp and a much more powerful Nismo version will best position the offerings for greatest success. If they could offer a C7 Z51 fighter for <$50k, that would really be something. Remember, they must keep things in perspective with what the Z represents and not alienate their customer base. It has a history of offering a performance bargain, while playing second fiddle to luxury and refinement. At $50k+, consumers start thinking Porsche, Corvette and BMW as "better" options.

With the weaker Yen, there is a good case to keep the price very competitive. What the Z and Q really need are two things: more power and updated design. The refinement and quality are more than enough for the price point.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm curious as to the price point of a base ~400 horsepower version simply because that's not far off of M3 territory.
It is my understanding that the upcoming Q60 is going to be larger and more luxurious than the car it replaces (G37 Coupe renamed Q60). So basically while the current G37/Q60 coupes were supposed to compete with 3 series sized 2-doors the new Q60 is going to be larger in size and price. Ultimately a smaller 2 door performance coupe is on the way which will be the real spiritual successor to the G37/Q60 coupe in its current form.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It is my understanding that the upcoming Q60 is going to be larger and more luxurious than the car it replaces (G37 Coupe renamed Q60). So basically while the current G37/Q60 coupes were supposed to compete with 3 series sized 2-doors the new Q60 is going to be larger in size and price. Ultimately a smaller 2 door performance coupe is on the way which will be the real spiritual successor to the G37/Q60 coupe in its current form.
The car will essentially be the same size as a BMW 4-series and priced around that range as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.